“Okay to dine here”

La Patio Cafe & Bar
Cuisines: European, Cafe, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: La Patio is one of Palmerston North’s finest restaurants. The restaurant has a welcoming ambience and with refurbishments completed there is no better place to dine.
Melbourne, Australia
“Okay to dine here”
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

I dined here serval times as I was staying in-house. Staff are friendly but the service is a little haphazard. The food is fine, but there is not a great deal of choice on the menu. Breakfast is the usual hotel buffet, the lunch menu is repeated at dinner time with some additional items. Wine list is fair.

• Korean first
Napier, New Zealand
“Average food. Terrible service”
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

It was not a busy night, and I was part of a group of 9, so I'm not sure why the service was so poor. The young staff looked leaderless and uncoordinated so time spent gathering around the till would have been better spent taking food and drink orders or eloping out in the painfully slow kitchen. When the meal did arrive it was very average and for $32.50 I'd like more than 8 cooked from frozen scallops, two slithers of bacon and some greens. Dessert was a cheese board, which would have been nicer if the port I asked for arrived. Thankfully I wasn't charged for it. I suggest that unless you are too lazy to walk 10 minutes into town avoid this place.

1 Thank Rick M
CoachmanPN, Manager at La Patio Cafe & Bar, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thanks for your feedback. All of the issues that you have raised will be discussed with staff today. We want you to know that the experience you had is not acceptable, and we hope that you will consider coming back to La Patio to give us another chance.

If we can be of any assistance or you would like to discuss any of the problems you had during your meal please contact me at web@coachman.co.nz
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Great lunches”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Really enjoyed the lunch, well priced! service wasn't overly great, but this may have changed in the last year.

Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent food, fair service”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We are staying at the Coachman Hotel, so we dined at their restaurant. The ambiance is pleasant and airy; the TV shows sports. My husband had come here for lunch and ordered the fish and chips which he said was delicious. One large piece of fish for the lunch portion was ample, two pieces we saw they serve at dinner was huge. This being our first meal in NZ we didn't know that bread is not automatically served as in the States, so when we asked for bread it was like ordering an appetizer, or entree as they call it here. Ours was toasted ciabatta with olive oil and drizzled with wonderful balsamic vinegar, and was fabulous. My "main" was the beef filet in a red wine sauce, cooked perfectly medium rare as requested. It was a huge chunk of excellent beef, the sauce was flavorful but not heavy, and it came with what was described as mashed potatoes with mustard although I couldn't taste the mustard, and peas. Altogether a delicious and very filling dish. My husband had the salmon with fresh vegetables including zucchini, and loved it. So the food here was great. The service was less commendable. It took a while for our waitress to come take our order, even though when we arrived the restaurant was almost empty. It was not easy to catch her eye to order more sparkling water (we asked the bartender when he brought over our main courses) and she forgot my tea, finally bringing a half cup that was cold because it had been sitting out waiting for her to deliver it for 10 min, and I never did get the requested sweetener. Since tips are included in the pricing here, I suspect there's less incentive to be on top of diners. All in all though, I'd highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Laura F
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great staff”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We didn't eat here but did have coffee and have a drink here. The staff were really helpful and friendly and the coffee and hot chocolate were fine.

Visited October 2012