“Great Place...Great people”

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Palmerston North
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great Place...Great people”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stay regularly here during my travels around New Zealand. One of the best value for money motels around, Clean and tidy, the hosts are friendly and hospitable. Free Wifi is a bonus and the location to the heart of Palmy is great in terms of restaurants etc. Also they do a hearty cooked breakfast which sets you up for the day. Always stay here when visiting Palmerstion North.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We booked Fitzherbert Castle because we have happily stayed there before. The location is handy, the family room is comfortable and spacious. In that respect we were not disappointed at all. Unfortunately we were robbed, while we slept. I awoke to find the door ajar. The motel lady had said they had been meaning to get the door fixed and that the wind could blow it open. Later on, when I asked for a partial refund (unlikely we would have been robbed while we slept if the door had been functioning properly) her husband said there was in fact not a problem with the door, that he and the police had checked it and we must have left it unlocked. He went on to say he had no idea why his wife had said what she had about the door as it simply was not true. We locked the door, either way, one of them has not told the truth!! The latch needs minor readjusting!! When I commented that I thought someone had been into the room the initial response from the motelier was that that is unlikely as most of the students (uni) had left town. What a broad generalisation to make about university students...and quite inappropriate given that we were there with our eldest son to attend his university graduation ceremony. I get the impression they thought they had 'done their bit' by reporting the matter to the police..something we would have done anyway. Felt victimized twice over.The motel lady said she felt bad, but no apology was forthcoming. Would not stay again in a million years!! As long as all goes to plan I would imagine one would enjoy a comfortable stay as we had previously. Would never have stayed if I knew about the generalisations they have towards university students. They do have cctv and the perpetrator has been arrested.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cynthia k
MotelOwners, Owner at Fitzherbert Castle Motel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are bemused as to why you say the door was faulty, as there have been no problems with the door previously (and during your stay you had not reported any). We have checked the door and lock and they work correctly.
It is upsetting to us all that on your last night of stay, an intruder on the premises in the early hours of morning, managed to gain access to your room, as it appears the door was not latched or locked. Had the door been closed and locked (shut, and locked with the push button), the intruder would not have been able to gain entry. There is a safety chain on the door for added security (however not used in this instance). Your comment with regard to a partial refund also is confusing. We have had no conversations with regard to a refund, partial or otherwise by yourself or us, either at the time of check-out or in your telephone call a few days later when you indicated you would be placing a review on Trip Advisor. The good news is that the Police have an idea who the offender is. Regards Diane
Howick, Auckland
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Reception excellent - provided newspaper, milk .... . Parking at door. Room well presented, comfortable, quiet. Only negative a lot of light spilling into room at night. Very central with good restaurants metres away, excellent shopping mall, and three minutes walk to centre of town. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MotelOwners, Owner at Fitzherbert Castle Motel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Hello David - thank you for your review. Will look into the light coming into the room - I'm thinking the small window above the door? Maybe the coach light outside the door was not dimmed that night. We will investigate getting a blind fitted. We look forward to your next visit. Regards Diane
Whakatane, New Zealand
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had a short stay to visit family, we found our room was perfect, spotless and well appointed, and Diane gave us a great deal. The castle is very handy to town, the owners give super friendly service, and we had the biggest bed I have ever seen! highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
North Shore City, New Zealand
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had to go to Palmerston North for a university course. As a "student" they were able to offer me a fantastic rate including breakfast. I was picked up from the airport and on the short drive to the motel I had restaurants and shops pointed out to me. Knowing I didn't have a car with me the bus stop across the road from the motel was shown to me and I was even given the bus number I would need to catch to get to the Uni. It was a 2minute walk to the square where the supermarket, restaurants and takeaways were located.
One of the highlights for me, and some might think is silly, was getting breakfast delivered to my room and the toast was still piping hot. The rooms are a little dated but clean and the bed was incredibly comfortable.

I'll be going back down again in July for another block course at Uni and will definitely be staying here again. I have already talked two other people doing my paper into staying there as well!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank KAMM78
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Work colleague recommended this place to me for a visit to Massey University. People are very friendly and when I explained I had a job interview via Skype, they gave me 500Mb of wifi with no charge. Breakfast arrived promptly and the poached eggs were perfect.

The room itself was large with a big comfortable bed. Tea, coffee (instant and plunger), hot chocolate, fresh milk, couple of complimentary chocolates and biscuits.

The location is easy to find and convenient to both The Square and to Massey.

Recommended.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank KasSommers
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Diane and Geoffrey were the perfect hosts. Everything was first class. Car parking was a little tight .our hosts gave us a good choice of restaurants within easy walking distance. 50 channels of sky allowed us to watch 6 nations rugby ( you have to be keen to watch from 3am) I would definitely go back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple