“A charming stay in Palmerston North”

Fitzherbert Castle Motel
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Palmerston North
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Our stay at the Fitzherbert Castle Motel was an enjoyable one, and we would recommend this establishment to anyone. We stayed in a studio with a king bed and single spa bath. Our arrival was in the early evening, and the hosts had the heat on in our room to have it comfortable upon arrival.

The hotel’s outside appearance is reminiscent of a castle, with stone and a turret-like appearance. Normally, such an appearance would trigger a wariness of too much kitsch. However, it is actually quite charming and comfortable. Our hosts were welcoming and very helpful. There is a guest laundry available, and the first load is complimentary. When my wife went to use it, she was informed that the hotel guest would take care of it and would return it when it was dry. My wife started the washing going, but she felt that the host would have gladly done that as well.

One thing that was different from many other placed we’ve stayed was when we were about to leave the room for the day. Housekeeping came by to ask if we wanted clean towels, which we did. They will provide clean towels, but they do not make up the room, day by day. So, our laundry was managed by the hotel, but we made our own bed. It seemed like an even exchange, all in all.

There was next to no traffic noise or noise from adjoining rooms. This even though the hotel was fairly booked during our stay, and it is located along a fairly busy road.

The Internet service was the fasted and easiest connection we have experience in New Zealand hotels, to date. One gets 200 MB of transfer complimentary, and that is quite sufficient for a few days email and reasonable high bandwidth activity. You can purchase more capacity via the service’s website, if needed.

On the whole, we enjoyed our stay here and would recommend this establishment to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fitzherbert Castle Motel

Reviewed June 10, 2011

I get to spend a lot of nights in motels around NZ and it is great to be able to check in and know everything is as it should be.
Nice touches are the spa baths, the chocolates and cookies in the room.
Hosts had been good enought to ensure the room had been heated before arrival. Cooked breakfast in the morning (Bacon and eggs) was great and delivered on time.
Great value for money!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2011

very impressed with customer service, friendly and very polite. free wi-fi is extra bonus .
very clean like home, towels changed without request. all kitchen ammendeds provided excellent value for money. far outceeds the other motels in same area.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Stayed here just one night. On a busy and unattractive thoroughfare, but centrally located. The rooms display a rather tacky 80s interior, but offer enough room and the bathroom was pretty large. As can be expected for a motel, there's ample off street parking. The staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2011

In town to visit my father and then onto his subsequent funeral. Diane and the staff at Fitzherbert castle were great. 200Mb of free wifi through Zenbu allowed me to keep up to date. Our room is spacious and clean.

It is a short walk to the square and my car is parked right outside. In fact, I am writing this review on my laptop. There is enough room for a table, chairs and flatscreen TV with SKYTV.

This motel is now my preferred Palmerston accomodation.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2011

For the price, this place is a diamond. Spotlessly clean, comfortable and homely. The owner was friendly and helpful. It's a very short walk into town.

My room was peaceful other than the noise of water through the pipes. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I stayed at Fitzherbert on my way south and again on my way back up north.

Both times I was given a friendly happy welcome and prompt service, even when I arrived on the second occasion at approximately 21h30.

The rooms were both of a good size, large by comparison to some hotels, with fridge, microwave, toaster, kettle and all cutlery. I had a great night’s sleep both times, the bed was large and comfortable and both rooms I stayed in were clean, quiet and comfortable.

Whilst this is not a brand new hotel I was more than happy with my stay, the level of comfort and feel of the hotel. I especially liked the exterior view of the ‘castle’ styling.

The hotel is close to the town centre, only a short walk and you are in the midst of many restaurants, shops and bars.

I would fully recommend this hotel and the next visit I make to New Zealand I will happily stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo