“The Lido”

Lido Aquatic Centre
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Lido is probably good enough for the size of Palmerston but isn't as good as the pools at Porarua or Upper Hutt. It has got a small gym but it tends to be a little bit overcrowded during busy times. The pool and gym staff are friendly and helpful. Ticket prices for a family are a little on the high side. An good alternative is the free pool at Memorial Park on Main St.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I love going to the Iido have a good splash around then hop into the spa, they a full size pool, a small one plus an area for they little ones which is really safe, a water slide and a Sauna room
also pool guards, so you are really safe

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The pool complex is great, I love to swim there all year round. My son also loves to swim and I want to tell you about our experience getting him into the pool, which was an interesting process. You see he uses a wheelchair and is unable to get in and out of the pool without special equipment. A large hoist chair is proved at the Lido however he is unable to get into or out of this because it is not suitable for him. He is unable to sit upright either which dosent make things so easy! It may be helpful for people with good balance and ability to lift themselves up in itand hold onwhile it is operating, but he is unable to do that. My husband and I are able to book a special changing room and this is great because there is a table which my son can lie on and we can asist him to dress into his swim gear and then we are able to use a borrowed hoist to get him to the pool side for the swim. However the hoist we used was not able to reach low enough to get him into the water. Not to be deterred, I hopped into the pool and my husband set him down on the side of the pool and rolled him into the water and I was ready to catch hiim! He is unable to swim exactly but I float him around holding him around his shoulders. He loved his swim, really laughed as he moved about and enjoyed the freedom and warmth of the water. He loves the waterfalls cascading over the edge and the whirl pool that has a current that carries you along in a kind of loop. After awhile he was getting a bit cold so I kind of lifted him up as much as I could and my husband lifted as well from outside the pool,and we got him back in to the hoist sling ( and a man passing by also gave us a hand ) and then took him over to the hot pool. The hot pool is lovely and relaxing. The hoist we have was unable to get close enough to put him onto the water so we had to lay him on the side of the pool again and then roll him off this and into the water. Again I was there to catch him and make sure his head didnt go under the water! Well his laugh told me that this was much better! His body relaxed ( which is saying something because he has cerebral palsy and his body is often tense and spasmy.Any way in this pool as I held him I felt his whole body just gradually go limp and relaxed. He totally blobbed and I was sorry we couldnt stay there longer. At the end of our swim,we went through the whole process again in reverse, wrapping him up in towels to keep him warm on his ride back to the changing room. Then we managed to get him out and dressed again.The pool assitants kindly gave us a key so we could leave our gear in the change room, really great to be able to do that ! I really appreciated their help in that way. Afterward my husband and I were exhausted! My son is 31 and as tall as I am! I look forward to the day when we can find an easier more user friendly way to asisst people like my son to use the Lido Swimming pool, but untill then,well he goes swimming at the Makino in Fielding and I wont be taking him to the Lido again its too hard on my body!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Very crowded in the middle of summer, but a great place for everyone to enjoy a swim and have fun. Good facilities for a half days outing.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Took the grandchildren and they easily filled in three hours during recent school holidays. Indoor pools excellent for this time of year (Winter) Plenty of activities and fun things to do without having to spend a fortune.