“Lovely old place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palmerston North
The Railway Hotel Backpackers
Wellington, New Zealand
“Lovely old place”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have never written a review about anything, but decided to do so, as I lived in the Hotel for 5 months, from August 2012 to December 2012, when working for a company in Palmerston North on contract. I chose tripadvisor because there are a few reviews about the Hotel on here, plus I stayed there again for 3 nights this week. From the outside it looks old, and it is, but the accommodation is superb budget homeliness.The place is everything the reviews say it is, except for the last review, (nodrub) I find the last review very hard to Fathom. Seven reviews say it's amazing, the 8th tells everyone it's Awful, must be something we don't know about. The Hotel certainly isn't dirty or noisy, as living there told me that. It is far better than the normal Backpackers. Gary and his crew will go out of their way to make your stay relaxed and welcome. Thanks again Gary and staff.

Paul Little

the wanderer

Room Tip: Ask Gary or staff for room 18 or 22. Have stayed in both.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thanks for staying with us again Paul. So pleased you enjoyed our place again last week. We were sorry to see you leave last year when you lived here for those months, but understand your work took you to the Capital.

best regards,

Garry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
london (but a NZer doing OE)
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Not only were my sheets threadbare, the place was dirty and even with earplugs in I couldn't sleep as it was so noisy. When I said I wanted to leave, the owners argued with me, in the end I went to the Kingsgate Hotel which was only about ten dollars more but well worth the money.

Unfortunately the owners at Railway Hotel didn't give me a full nights refund, so I ended up being out of pocket. What really shocked me is they threw the blame on me saying that it was only 10:30 at night and all the noise will be gone by midnight. So in other words I was made to feel bad because I'm not a night owl?!!

In all seriousness, do not stay here. It's not worth it in a million years. I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
?. Not sure why a guest can, or would write a review about a property with the intent of discrediting it with untruths.. The person who wrote it, disgraced them self here from the moment they checked in. Later in her stay she was asked to leave a licensed premise adjoined to our property for misconduct. We feel this person thought she would take it out on us, it was payback. I can respect a totally honest review, but this is nonsense and downright lies. We have had 10 reviews to date on our property, all are excellent, except for this malicious attack. I refuse to be subtle about this, as enough of my colleagues in other properties suffer from this practice also. We are an excellent establishment and go out of our way to look after people.

Garry Young

Owner
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for two nights during the week, in a twin room with ensuite.

The building is old and stylish, run down, on the corner of a couple of big roads but with a parking bay on the street in front of it (we left our car out here for two nights without any trouble). It is very near the centre of town and in just a couple of minutes walk you will be among cafes and restaurants.

The manager, Garry, was very friendly and welcoming but not intrusively so. He made sure we had everything we needed, even down to a jug of fresh milk in the fridge for our coffee and directions around town. Each day he said hello and made sure we were OK, and remembered both of our names.

The room was also a bit run down, but it had absolutely everything we needed (more than a lot of hotels I've stayed at - microwave, fridge, kettle with tea and coffee, tv and dvd player, multiple towels for each of us). It was nice and warm, and we didn't notice any noise from the street. The beds were a bit soft for my taste, but I have gotten used to hard Asian beds so maybe not everyone would agree. There is an attached internet cafe and wifi throughout the building, both free for guests, which is not always the norm and I thought was a great touch.

All in all I thought it was great value for money, have recommended it to others and would stay there again next time I'm back in Palmerston North.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gkee42
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I needed a room at a budget price after flying in from Sydney via Auckland. I expected a basic backpackers, but I was completely wrong. The rooms are spacious, neat and clean. The bathroom even more so.

The amenities in the room included a microwave, kettle, fridge, desk, AC/Heater, TV with freeview, tea & coffee, soap and towels- more than I expected at this price!

Perhaps the best thing was Garry. He's incredibly friendly and warm, a person who takes pride in his establishment and is genuine about ensuring your comfort. Next time I'm back in Palmerston North I'll be staying here.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Gosney
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
John, Thank you for your kind review. Even though we are advertised as Backpackers, the format we have set for staff is, make sure guests have everything they need, this is why even our Bunk rooms have everything included. Garry Y.
Havelock North, New Zealand
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were looking for a budget hotel for the night. This fitted well at $69.50 for a double room. Gary the manager was very friendly and knowledgable. Bed was super comfy. Had our own ensuite. Even had a fridge and microwave and tea and coffee in the room. Great value for money. A bit of noise outside in the middle of the night with bar patrons, but nothing major.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Me and wife stayed at the New Railway Hotel for 5 days as my wife had to do her one paper at Massey University. The hotel is really close to the city centre. Bus stop for Massey is very close. From outside the hotels looks old but from inside its beautiful, very neat and tidy. Gary was very helpful and kind. Internet facility was just awesome. And $68 per day it was the best deal. Would love to stay again at the New Railway Hotel if we ever visit Palmerston North again. The hotel is a hidden gem.

• Stayed March 2013
Garry Y, Owner at The Railway Hotel Backpackers, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for reviewing my Hotel Rahul. You were a very nice couple. We strive to make our guests feel at home & secure. All the best. Garry.
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

nice place to stay...very friendly..very helpful..nice and clean..near to bus station,resto, malls, garden,museum..
definitely go back again....good value of money...gary is so nice and helpful..thanks gary....see you again..

• Stayed February 2013