“Perfect pre-show stop”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stopped at Bubbles on the way to the ballet one evening. And what a good choice it was. The last time we'd been in was ages ago and were pleased to see that the service was still excellent, the wine list very good and the food also.

This evening we chose the platter; a nice section of fish cakes, mussels, mini bread twists, steak skewers, chicken wings, salt & pepper squid - quite enough for two and would work for three. The deep fried penne pasta with aioli was a little odd though.

And although it had been more than a year since we had been to Bubbles (and only once, I think), the owner still remembered us. Nice.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Loved this little bar and restaurant, it had ambionse and great service, food was lovely too. Great if going to a show as close to threatre.

1  Thank julesrules_12
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have friends that love this place, but each time I've been, the food has been average at best. On my latest visit, I ordered vegetarian lasagne, having heard that it was good. It came out looking like cheese soup - the lasagne was swimming in cheese sauce. I couldn't taste any vegetables but did see one slice of courgette among the yellow. I couldn't finish it. It was the worst lasagne I have ever eaten.
As for the atmosphere - there is none, for a restaurant. It's primarily a bar, so you get raucous laughter and broken glasses and smoke coming in through the windows from smokers. Horrendous.

1  Thank krudyard
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We went for dinner here with friends while on a business trip to Palmerston North. We were warmly welcomed by Dave at the door and seated in a quite corner. This worked well as one of our party is quite deaf and does struggle with conversation when a restaurant is too noisy. The food was fantastic and we sampled a variety of dishes from all three courses. The wine list was ok. Yes this is marketed as a champagne bar as there was plenty to choose from, but the wine list was less than what I expected. We asked for a sticky dessert wine to go with our desserts and unfortunately we had to go with a close second.
The decor and ambience certainly needs a rethink. It feels like the restaurant doesn't know whether it's a night club but needs to serve food before the dancing crowd come to town.
Overall, we have a very pleasant evening with friends over enjoyable food and service

Reviewed September 8, 2013

A birthday treat for my wife, French Bubbles and nibbles, fabulous stuff! Joshua is the host with the most out in 'Front of House'. And Pauline did a wonderful job in the kitchen, whipped some Scrumptious food for us. Can't wait to head back for more!