“AIR CONDITIONING PROBLEMS”

Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Palmerston North
Reviewed March 8, 2011

This would be a nice hotel if the air-conditioning worked. When we checked in, the room temperature was 30 degrees (C) and I set the air-conditioning to 20o. After dinner, it was still 30, so I called the front desk. The two employees there tried to fix it, but eventually gave up, and at 10pm, moved us next door. These things happen, but I was told that it happens all the time; this is one of the problems when you build a hotel with totally sealed windows. But I must comment that the staff were extremely helpful, and this reflects very well on themselves and the hotel management.

The hotel consists of the building of the old Carlton Hotel, plus a large new wing of bedrooms - rather more upmarket than the two Travelodges I stayed at in Australia (and, of course, the chain has nothing to do with Travelodge in the UK or the USA, though there were historical connections). There is a smart bar, and a stylish restaurant, though dinner was only ok, and breakfast (which they threw in the room rate to compensate us for the air-con problems) pretty standard.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UKPeripatetic

Reviewed February 25, 2011

We stayed here for one night on the way south to Wellington we were just looking for a convenient stop off point but were really impressed with the hotel.
There is no wow factor but you would not expect one from a Travelodge. The rooms are clean and comfortable and not too small. We ait in the restraint (after discovering there was little other choice in Palmerston North) and the food was excellent. In the morning we were in a hurry so went to grab a croissant to go from the breakfast buffet, the waitress was very helpful and prepared us take out coffees to go with them
The hotel also benefits from secure off street parking
All in all for the price we could not fault it

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank onemoreholiday
Reviewed February 11, 2011

This Hotel was chosen because it was in a good position when travelling from Wellington to Napier. After experiencing the Hotel which apart from the front desk and restaurant did not seem to have stayed up with the times. Felt that I was in the 80's when in our room. The Staff were ever so nice and were what I remembered of my stay here.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LGNG
Reviewed November 29, 2010

We chose the Travelodge for the price to begin with but realized that we made an excellent choice. We stayed in the Heritage Queen room and it was comfortable and nice. There is a 24 hour check in, which was nice after a 2 hour drive from Wellington and an option of dinner, even though we were after the dinner time.
Customer service was a big plus, very hospitable and nice. Everything was clean and tidy, very new decor and we really enjoyed ourselves there.
The hotel is in walking distance of the main street and gorgeous little cafes are around the corner .
Highly recommended to partners and business customers alike.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JKEandR
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We were surprised how good this place was for the price ($89), maybe it was an introductory special as the place is near brand new when we stayed.

It was a 5 minute walk from main part of town and had very secure parking, although limited to a first come first served basis.

Very clean and modern room, reasonably sized. Nice beds - maybe could have done with a table and chairs though as we had nowhere really to eat.

The restaurant looked good but was booked out for a wedding so can't comment on food, menu looked nice however.

I'd expect the room to be more expensive in the future, and would still go back.

Reviewed April 29, 2009

The Travelodge in Palmerston North is a very pleasant hotel. The rooms are new, very clean and most importantly, the beds are new and comfortable with good quality linen. All the usual services are available with a reasonable restaurant and a nice bar called Noir. The Travelodge is a very good quality four star property and to date it is the best property that I have stayed in on visits to Palmerston North.

Good deals can be found on various accommodation websites so shop around. You will be very content with your stay here.

We have held a number of conferences at this venue and they have always been very successful. I would recommend the conference facilities here. The hotel is conveniently located close to the main square with good parking on the surrounding streets. Parking is available at the rear of the hotel for guests.

I would be happy to recommend the property to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank 247Travel
Reviewed October 26, 2008

My Husband, Our 8 Year Son and I have just come back from a 3 night stay at the Travelodge Hotel in Palmerston North.

When we checked in we were given a room which had 1 Queen Bed only in it, I went to check in and asked for another room as we had booked a room with 2 Queen beds. The reception staff were very good and very professional, and they apologised for their mistake and we were given another room with 2 Queen sized beds.

The room was very clean, I was most impressed by that and for a Hotel room I felt it was a good size. We were on the third floor and we were in the newer block.. The bathroom did`nt go all steamy when having a shower as they had a really good fan system. The shower was over a bath and they provided soap, shampoo and conditioner - but not shower gel.
The room had air conditioning, and the rooms were sound proof, but above us we could hear the people above walking around. We did`nt hear showers running or people talking next to us, even though those rooms were being used. I think the windows are sound proof, as we did`nt hear any cars or outside sounds at all.

The beds were firm, but we got used to that after our second night. They had feather down duvets and pillows on the beds which were nice.
The staff were very professional. We asked for wake up calls each morning and on the second morning I had accidently not hung the phone up properly - well one of the staff members knocked on our door to tell us , they were manually telling us it was our wake up call as the phone was off the hook ! The phone manners of the staff were very professional too, I would ring up to ask for extra bath towels etc and each time I rang the staff members would say " Thankyou for ringing reception, this is...speaking how can I help you." If They had to contact me for some reason in our room, they would always call me "Mrs ... " which I did`nt expect at all, but it showed me they have a high standard of manners there.

The lobby was always clean, and each morning when we would go to breakfast at the Hotel the staff would always say "Good Morning " to us with a smile!

The Hotel has an old lift which would have been with the building when it was first built, the lift leads to the older rooms, and "I just HAD TO have a turn on the lift! "I asked as well if I could please see one of the older rooms, just out of curiosity and Laura (she was my favourite receptionist - so full of smiles and pleasant and she was not TRYING to be pleasant it was natural), well Laura took us to see what one of the older rooms were like and they were nice too! The older rooms have been renovated and the room was nicely painted and they had a new bathroom in it which went with the old style of the room, they had a heat pump and an oil heater in there, and the furnishings, although new went perfectly with the room ! It was very nice. I would prefer to stay in the newer part which we stayed in though as it was warmer and lighter.

The Hotel have free apples at reception too which I thought was a nice touch!

The restaurant was nice, we had breakfast there each day and they had on 2 of the days a buffet breakfast, which consisted of 5 different cereals, yoghurts, tinned fruit, fresh fruit, toast, crumpets, danishes, baked beans, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, bacon, sausages, french toast, pancakes orange juice, pineapple juice, coffee etc. The third day was continental breakfast and we ordered off the A La Carte menu, which was nice. The restaurant itself was nice and big and light, with nice chairs.

The Hotel is situated within walking distance to the CBD, we would leave the car at The Hotel and go shopping and we walked to restaurants as well.

My only complaints about the Hotel, is the lack of parking, there are 20 secure car parks which are in a locked area, and there are heaps more rooms than 20. You had to "be in " to get a secure car park otherwise you ended up parking your car on the road outside the Hotel, I was told they have a security person there at night, but I did`nt see one. Luckily we were able to park in the secure park each night.
The TVs were also not wide screen, and I would have like it, if they had have supplied shower gel. There is also no laundry there to do personal washing.

But other than that I would DEFINATLY stay at this Hotel again! It was very clean, very tidy, the staff were professional and I just LOVED it there!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family