“Cheap stay with breakfast and free parking!”

Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Palmerston North
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in early August 2013. We had booked the night from their official website and were happy with the price including the service offered.

Travelodge offered good breakfast as well as free parking. Service was good. Room was clean except that it was a little small. The elevator at the lobby was really cool as it was the old school type.

Overall we are satisfied with the room and the service. The amount we paid for the night was cheap therefore we do not expect a 5-star experience.

Room Tip: Bring multiple electronic devices if you wish to use the Wifi for free. Each devices only can online...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rean V, General Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear Johnie T
Thank you for taking the time to review following your recent stay. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our great team. We enjoy what we do and feedback such as yours, certainly encourage us every day.
Thanks also for your comments about our lovely old lift. It certainly is a charming feature of the heritage side of the hotel and at 85 years of age it certainly is a treasure.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Very happy with our accommodation but some customer service issues.
1. Told we needed to move car from secure parking following morning as needing to do some painting in area. Dutifully got up moved car (earlier than would have risen as 11am checkout) to find when we did leave that cars still parked in area and no painting in process.
2. When we checked out they had lost our credit card printout - we waited whilst they checked out other people until they had time to search for it - still not found.
Otherwise friendly at check-in even though had a large function (Massey Ball) in. Secial breakfast/ accommodation deal which was great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear GE

Thank you for taking the time to review following your recent stay at our hotel. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. In regards to the parking we contracted a company to do the work for us and they requested certain days for the parking to be available, on the day in question they could not do the work due to weather conditions. But I am happy to report that we have completed this work and our parking is fully operational. I also had a meeting with team in regards to your printout and we have new procedures in place to make sure this will not happen in the future again.
We would love to invite you to stay with us on your next visit to see the changes we made.

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We booked 12 rooms and Jackie made it hassle free and good value. It was nice to deal with someone with exceptional knowledge of the hotel and treated me like I had booked the whole hotel. All staff we encountered were great. Rooms are a good size and very comfortable. Would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank snapi

Dear Snapi

The team at Travelodge Palmerston North are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your warm comments regarding service especially in regards to Jackie. At Travelodge Palmerston north we do pride ourselves on our level of service and I will pass on your comments to the team and Jackie.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I love the hotel. Beautiful heritage rooms, huge restaurant, easy-going and mostly professional staff. For such a lovely place the basic services should match. I'll get these out of the way. 1. Microwave 2. Laundry 3. Free or cheap wifi 4. Sky Guest Select 50 channels plus. Make these available and the place will be almost perfect! As for the current stay - I booked a room with opening windows and didn't get it, I asked to move to a room with opening windows, I got it but they were locked and there were no keys - extractor fan in bathroom not working. I was moved the next day into a room with opening windows and the extractor fan was not working. These aren't complaints - I love the place - but these are the little things that should be attended to quickly to keep customers happy!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Seann P

Dear SeannP

Thank you for taking the time to review following your recent stay. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our great team. At Travelodge we want to provide a great product at a great price to the guest, and for that reason we do have to focus on the more important services we provide. If we do include all the items you have listed we will be forced to revise our rates. I have investigated the request you had for open windows and have spoken to all my team members to make sure if possible to provide our guest requests.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment on your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I didn’t think there were any Travelodges still around. This was a nice clean hotel, cool old lift upto my room. Wrestled with my heat pump for a little till I got it going correctly. Ordered room service and the food was nice. Front desk staff were pretty good too. I would stay again

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear CameronK

Thanks for reviewing the hotel I am pleased you had a pleasant experience and the hotel suited your needs. It’s always good to get positive feedback from our guests. We do pride ourselves on our team friendliness, and I will pass you’re feedback on to our team
Currently we have 2 Travelodge hotels one in Wellington and then Palmerston north.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had a night stop recently in Palmerston North for business. On arrival everything was great, I arrived at my room a little bit disappointed as I was given the impression that my work colleague had reserved a larger room with a sofa bed. I was given a small room in the older part or the building. I was too tired to go back down to reception and showered, caught up with some emails. When I decided to go to bed to my horror when I pulled back the covers the pillows had drops of blood on. I nearly vomited as this is my worse nightmare. I immediately called reception and the poor girl on reception moved me to another room - and this one was roomy with a sofa bed in. Looks like the one I should originally have had. I complained to the hotel on my return back to my office. They apologised and were going to investigate and come back to me......I haven't heard back from them, disappointing don't you think.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ford-Whanau

Dear Ford-Mhanau

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Travelodge Palmerston North

We always appreciate feedback from our guests even if it’s not great feedback; it gives us the opportunity to improve the product we offer for future guests
We have done some investigating in regards to your feedback and we have done some training with our front office team to make sure they give people from the same company the same room types and also making sure we provide the room s requested. I was shocked in regards to the blood you found on bedding and we had meetings with our linen suppliers to deliver the high standard linen we expect. We also included our housekeeping company to include more checks on rooms to make sure this does not happen in the future again. Please accept my apologies in regards to your bedding and with our new procedures in place we would love to welcome you back to see the changes we have made

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was by far the best complex I have stayed in "Palmerston North"
The + & -
- The breakfast was cold the selection was average, would of expected better,
courier van parked at the back door all night making it difficult to get bags in doorway.
Luggage trolley needs new wheels very to push.
Car parking, if you are not in early you miss out.
Glass of beer $8.00 was a bit rich.
Staff not wearing name tags or in uniforms , first impression guys.
Reported bedside lamp not working, still not working or fixed after two days.
+ Clean room, great linen, good nights sleep

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kevinandmorika

Thank you for taking the time to review following your recent stay at our hotel. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay - we often get great feedback about our comfortable beds. Since August we have upgraded our team member’s uniforms and including, making sure they all have name badges. We are also currently improving our F&B outlet, making it more presentable and more inviting to our guests. In regards to parking we have upgraded our parking area to make it more attractive and we have also due regular checks during the night on guest parking in front of the hotel.
Rean vorster