“Very good hotel, great staff and location”

Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Palmerston North
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Stayed one night in the Travelodge Palmerston North. I managed to secure a very good last minute rate. I was so pleasantly surprised that from check in to check out, the service was fantastic, the rooms where super clean and fresh and the hotel itself had a fabulous location. Having stayed in the Kingsgate Palmerston North previously, I wasn't expecting much from a Palmerston North hotel but I was very surprised and would happily recommend Travelodge to anybody.

The only let down was that I arrived at the hotel at approx 1:30am after being out in Palmerston North and the nightbell buzzer wasn't working. I had forgotten my access card and the only way I gained access was by luck that another guest arrived at the same time and let me in. I questioned the receptionist when he gave me a new card and he told me it hadn't been working in years. To me this is simply not good enough and should have been resolved as soon as it was discovered it wasn't working as a matter of security. This is the one thing that made my overall rating "very good" instead of "excellent". Other than this my stay was great.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
KAtkinson090, General Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the hotel.

I am very pleased that you did enjoy our team, rooms and facilities, we are very proud to have such great feedback from guests like yourselves. The issue you encountered with being able to access the hotel at such an early time of the morning has been resolved. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you encountered.

Reviewed October 26, 2011

I used to live around the corner from the Travelodge, actually watched it being built, but for obvious reasons never got to stay there. I recently paid a visit to Palmerston North and was able to get a good rate on the Travelodge: I was very happy with the experience of staying here. The check in was friendly, the wee bar area off to the side was warm and had Becks on tap, and the room was very good - clean, decently sized, with a good sized desk area. As I didn't have the problems the previous reviewer had with the TV, I presume I stayed after they were replaced. The hotel is on Cuba Street so it is only a short walk to the cafes on George Street and, once there, you're only a block from the Square.

The only slight downside, and its more of this being a hotel in Palmerston North than the hotel itself, is that the views are almost guaranteed to be uninspiring. But, hey, with a nice warm, clean hotel room does that matter?

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the hotel, and that after seeing the hotel being built, you had opportunity to come and stay!

I am very pleased that you did enjoy our team, rooms and bar one7five – you are correct, it is a lovely bar. We are very proud to have such great feedback from guests, especially from those returning to Palmy to enjoy the city and all it has to offer. You are absolutely correct, the TVs and receiver have all been upgraded away from the old analogue system and now is completely digital with flat screen televisions.

Welcome back anytime!

Reviewed September 23, 2011

As our son lives in Palmerston North, we stay often and have always been happy with this hotel. However, after our latest visit, we received a Visa bill for $4 for peanuts from the mini-bar, which we did not consume. We wrote to the hotel and explained we did not remove peanuts from the mini-bar. They did not even reply. Out of principle, we wont be staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
KAtkinson090, General Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the hotel. I appreciate the time you have taken.

I am genuinely concerned regarding the feedback about the peanuts and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you to - and certainly credit back the peanuts! Unfortunately the system appears to have broken down in this instance and your email has not reached me, however I am very happy to rectify this for you, please do contact me directly and personally at the hotel.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Stayed for a conference - the staff were very helpful and attentive.
Food was good but there is no room service breakfast, have to buy a newspaper and the channel on the TV never worked properly. When Iasked for a service man he came smelling of cigarettes.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Dear Alicia

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Travelodge Palmerston North. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Just last week we have had a new digital system installed at the hotel to replace our old analogue system which has certainly improved the reception on the televisions - we were very excited to see the new clear picture!

I am pleased you enjoyed our teams' service - we pride ourselves on being helpful and attentive. In the future, we are looking into providing room service breakfast in addition to our full weekday buffet, and if the demand is there, room service breakfast will be added to our in-room dinner service. Newspapers are provided free of charge to return guests.

Also, my apologies for the cigarette smell on the person who came to your room, we do have strict guidelines around managing this issue for the comfort of guests however obviously that was insufficient at this time.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future. If you do have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed May 31, 2011

It's OK, in a basic chain-hotel way. But they gave us a scrap of paper as a 'voucher' for a reduced price breakfast (why not just check room number in the morning?), the full breakfast options were only available for the central part of the stated availability time; and in my room, the kettle wouldn't fit under the tap so could only fill it cup-by-cup!

Oh, and the garage security gate makes a lot of noise - don't accept a room over it!

But the people were fine - friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid proximity to garage entrance!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
KAtkinson090, General Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2011

Dear Mirabelle

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Travelodge Palmerston North. We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments. I have addressed your feedback with our food and beverage team to improve future guest breakfast experiences and we certainly appreciate the feedback about the kettle!

Just last week we had new (and whisper quiet) carpark doors installed which will certainly eliminate the noise which you experienced - we were very excited to see them installed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future. If you do have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed April 27, 2011

We stayed here 2 nights over the Easter Long weekend. A short walk to the city centre and across the road from a street of cafes and restaurants.
Unfortunately the restaurant was only offering Buffet evening meals so we ate out the first night and ate at the bar the next. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast buffet was huge - fantastic, although when there are many diners the kitchen has trouble keeping up.
Our room was located on the 5th floor to the back of the hotel. A terrific view, quiet and reasonably comfortable. The sofa bed needed replacing as it was particularly uncomfortable to sit for any length of time watching tv or reading, especially if you were on the more worn side where the cushion was almost flat.
The shower strength was good and the room was very clean.
Free Parking in a secure carpark accessed via roomcard from both the hotel and street was very convenient.
Overall we felt that we would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a Non-smoking, quiet and light room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gypsywillow

The team at Travelodge Hotel are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We are also pleased to let you know that we now run a la carte menu alongside our ever popular buffet menu to allow guests such as yourselves the freedom of choice. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 30, 2011

Stayed 2 nights in the refurbished heritage part of the hotel. Room was well decorated and clean, exceeded all expectations for the price. Very handy to city centre and pubs.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo