“Very very dated”

Copthorne Hotel Palmerston North
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Palmerston North
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Was very disappointed with the first room I was allocated. Was one of the outside units, absolutely terrible, smelt, didn't feel safe and incredibly dated with a horrible bed. Understand I didn’t pay a lot but expected a little more.

Staff were very kind and upgraded me which I appreciated. Restaurant is very expensive and didn’t look very nice. Very centrally located for other restaurants though.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the outside rooms
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Palmerston North

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights on business, and was quite satisfied by the hotel.
I could tell about 25 years ago - this place was probably the cream of the crop in the city, but it certainly hasnt been updated since. The lobby was nice and had an attaching restaurant. While the food was expensive and not a huge menu - it was pretty tasty. I had ordered the fish and chips, and my co-worker ordered the steak. Both had good portions and were delicious.
The rooms outside of the main tower were outdoor entry which isnt a problem for me. However, the rooms really were pretty ancient looking. My room had an updated TV which was nice, but everything else was pretty dated. Not the most soundproof rooms either, as you can probably expect to hear the car park's traffice and any commotion outside the room with ease.
But overall, it still was a fine place to stay for business. You are within walking distance to the shopping centre and the downtown scene as well.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our room on the 6th floor was spacious and had a nice view. Bathroom was great. A big screen TV, but reception was poor on most channels. Bed and linen were tired and in need of replacement. A frayed rug on the floor didn't enhance. Air conditioner was out of action. Breakfast in the restaurant was good - fresh and clean and good food and service. Check in and out was smooth and courteous.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I went for a friend's wedding and stayed here for the weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday nights were noisy. Kids and younger people staying up late and others getting up early, eek! I.e. not great sleep though I had earplugs.

Rooms are pretty aged, but clean enough for an average hotel.

Having shared it with a friend made it value for money.

Palmie is pretty small, so the location meant you can have easy access to town.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Hi everyone. If you are looking for a quality hotel, reasonably priced and friendly staff I recommend this place. A booking I had at another accommodation was unable to take me so I ended up at the Kingsgate. Not only were the staff friendly, the food at the restaurant was superb and the waiters and waitress attentive and the food arrived in short time. The accommodation was really comfortable, modern and spotless. Walking distance to city centre and buses stop right outside every ten minutes if you are attending Massey University courses. Excellent.

Room Tip: Staying in the tower is good, but then the outer rooms are great too and no road noise. It is very q...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We booked through Millinneum Hotels and this was better than the Copthorne in Auckland. We really enjoyed our stay here!! The room was nice, air conditioned. The hotel lobby and entrance was lovely. The dinner we had in the Zoe Cafe was wonderful and served elegantly. Staff was outstanding!! Available for every need.

Room Tip: Ask for air conditioning
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I visited for one night on business, it was booked for me by our travel company. On arrival at 7.45pm I was greeted by polite helpful staff and given a room on the third floor. I was also given a voucher for a free drink at the bar - very welcome and unexpected.

The room was incredible old fashioned, poorly decorated and presented. Faded orange curtains, very old 'comfy' chairs and even a bed side cabinet with an actual transistor radio built into it.

Given how unwelcoming the room was I unpacked my case and headed down to the bar for my free drink. Unfortunately on arriving into the bar at 8.05pm I was informed that it had closed at 8.00pm! So as nice as the free drink voucher was I actually only had 15 minutes in which to use it and wasn't made aware of this on arrival.

To be fair and honest when I mentioned this to the staff at reception they did actually get me a free drink, but I'm very surprised that any supposedly modern, business orientated hotel would close it's bar at 8pm.

I can't complain about the comfort of the bed, I did sleep well, but the room was without doubt one of the most tired, old fashioned I've ever stayed in. It is (very) cheap but better quality rooms are available locally for the same money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business