“Family get together”

Dining options: Reservations
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Family get together”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Nice atmosphere, good food, decent prices. I had the steak which was expertly cooked, my son had the same. The rest of the party went for the more traditional Mexican dishes and were not disappointed. The levels of heat as recommended on the menu were accurate and the service was good. My only criticism was that the menu was yellow text on black for the most part and was impossible to read due to the low lighting. I made my choice using the torch on my phone! Best to decide before sitting down I think. A pleasant surprise that I will repeat.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Phil T

Des Moines, Iowa
“Authentic Mexican dishes and spices”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is your only choice for Mexican food in Palmy. So it's good to know that they're fairly good.

I grew up in Los Angeles with Mexican neighbors going to local family owned Mexican restaurants, so my standard for authenticity is pretty high. El Guso uses authentic spices and recipes in a presentation and dining environment that has been softened to be more family friendly and to fit into local expectations. It's a good dining experience with a taste of Mexico.

Their sangrea is good -- much like what we make at home.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank JeffreyToddGrigg
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Up and coming”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

My wife and I were in town during a New Zealand driving tour and we had not heard great things about Palmerston North. To the contrary we really enjoyed our stay in town and El gusto added much to our enjoyment. Lots of good places to eat in town but El gusto must be on your list. Contrary to another reviewer I really liked the ambience of the place, dark, cosey with a fireplace. It is in an old active hotel with an adjacent bar and game room, well seperated from the dining room, but with loads of local flavor. The chef is very adept at his mexican cooking and I got to try his new mole which was delicious. We also had the tacos and a great dessert. The chef was very friendly and it appears he has great plans for his menu. Wish we could have stuck around to find out what was next. Service was also very good.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank rpcvtaylor
Palmerston North
“Fairly average”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Went here with some friends. Service was excellent when we first arrived. We ordered drinks and our meals, but were told there was quite a wait which was fine. One thing one of my party noted was that he ordered beef and assumed it would be chunks but it was mince which wasn't clear. We didn't have enough cutlery so I ended up taking some from another table. Once we ordered we were forgotten. I had to approach a staff member, after trying to catch their eye a lot, to get dessert menus and then had to approach someone again when no one came to take the order! Dessert was served quick enough. Out of 3 desserts two were not desirable. One had undercooked pastry which was hard to get a spoon through and soggy and one had a hair in it. I told a staff member and she took it away. It wasn't until another staff member came to clear the table and asked how our dessert was that we were all speechless and she sensed something was up. It was her that offered the complimentary dessert and a free one to take home. I don't expect freebies but it would've been nice if the first girl had of said something after taking it away/ followed it up.

The food was fairly standard for the wait times and I just wasn't overally impressed with the lack of service compared with the levels of staffing.

It has the potential to be great just needs to focus on the customer.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Aimz2416
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Very Fair”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Was looking forward to traditional Mexican fare, and what I got was over priced and bland, the decor is tacky at best in this badly lit ( to create ambiance???) and poorly set up "Restaurant".
As much as I tried to like it, El Gusto was a very forgettable dining experience.

• Visited May 2013