“Yummy food and great atmosphere”
Review of El Gusto - CLOSED

El Gusto
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2012

It's great to see a Mexican restaurant in Palmerston North finally. The food here is delicious but quite expensive. The first time I went there I had a takeaway enchillada which was really nice so I went back a second time, got the exact same thing and takeaway again but unfortunately this time they had forgotten to put the same toppings (sour cream, jelapenos etc) on it. I went back a third time and this time we ate in the restaurant. It has a great atmosphere and the service was good too. We hadn't even ordered our meal yet when they brought us a complimentary, small entree and a shot of sangria each to try. The meal came out pretty quickly and was yummy. They also have a play area for children which is handy. Overall this restaurant has great food (albeit a little expensive) and good service. I'll definitely return for more enchillada's.

1  Thank Becz-Awa

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We first tried the restaurant soon after it was opened. Bland food and an indifferent atmosphere meant none of our party of four were likely to return.

However some friends were going tonight, and we thought we would give it another shot...

The same problems remain. Food is exceptionally bland, ie the Ceviche starter had no taste, and was certainly overpriced. The chimichanga was tasteless and the chicken dry. The waitress got my partners order wrong, was confused when I ordered a beer from the list of four mexican beers on offer, and struggled with bringing new cutlery and napkins.

The Margaritas were good, and the complimentary Sangria shot and corn chips we received when seated were a solid start, it just all went south from there.

We were politely honest with the Front of House Manager when we left, and he appeared to be the only person who understood their role. He apologised, said he would speak with the staff and gave us an unasked for, %10 discount. We mentioned our previous experience and indicated we would be unlikely to return, he then gave us a reasonable sum in a voucher, which I was probably ungrateful for, but which my partner graciously accepted.

Keep the front of house guy, hes gold, but the chef and the 'not paying any attention' waitress need replacing.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I had a group booking for my 25th birthday with a group of 20 of us.
From first contact the Manager was very good organising the private function room for us, being such a large group we had to select of a set menu which was fine. When we arrived we had one member less due to sickness and one person extra due to avalibility but El Gusto handles this well! After this things turned a bit south. My fiance requested no spice in her food due to IBS (stomach issues) but after waiting to the end to see if a special main got brought out for her she mentioned she had requested no spice and all they did was take the main back to the kitchen take the jalapeno off and add basil, there were also a lot of complaints that thee food was dry (although this is not an issue I noticed), with desert one of our members did not recieve there desert and when this was mentioned to the waitress she advised she would check up on this and never came back then when paying the member was charged for the desert.
I really want to go back and try from the full menu (because it does look amazing) but with such a great selection of reseraunts in Palmerston North I dont know if I will

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Hot food isn't mine or my boyfriends preference but the food was quite delicious and very fulling, neither of us could finish our meals. The service however i was disappointed in, we ordered a drink and we had to remind the waitress twice for it, which still arrived late and by the time we wanted to leave. Also the menu wasn't all that clear, and just when i had started to eat another waitress who hadn't been serving us walked past and plonked a salad right beside me without a word, i checked the menu and didn't say if i had a salad or not and my boyfriend didn't get a salad, so that was a bit weird and disorganized

1  Thank Jess R
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We were a party of 7 adults and 7 Children. Were welcomed without a booking.Tables were set up for us. Food exceptional. Although we probably over indulged due to having complimentary nibbles and delicious shot of Sangria. yum yum!!!
Starters and mains are very big meals. If you don''t like your food spicy hot, ask the staff to get it toned down, although our meals weren''t overly spicy hot, some people may like less heat.Staff were fabulous and very hospitable and welcoming considering we were quite a noisy party with 7 kids.
Thanks for a great dining experience.

2  Thank Karen M