“Dining solo”
Review of Tomato - CLOSED

Tomato
Cuisines: European, Cafe, New Zealand
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tomato Cafe is "Kiwi As..."An off the wall Kiwi-ana themed cafe by day, casual bistro by night.Tomato was judged the Regions Top Cafe in the 2012 New Zealand Best Cafe Awards...come and find out why !Please telephone us for enquiries or bookings.
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I recently had to visit Palmerston North, and as I had heard so much about the tomato thought I would dine there. The staff were friendly and I went upstairs and was shown to a table and given a menu. After quite a wait as I was the only person upstairs, I realised that I had been forgotten, so walked down the stairs to give my order, the waitress said she was sorry and had forgotten me. I had a delicious meal. It then started to get quite busy upstairs, I wanted to order a dessert, but found the waitress too busy to take my order and my dirty plates away. I then went downstairs again to give my order of sticky date pudding. I had to wait 20 minutes for my dessert to arrive, which is a long time when you are dining on your own. The waitress came up to me several times to see if I had ordered to dessert. I would suggest if you are dining on your own you sit downstairs where you can catch their attention easier. Other than that I have to say the meal I had was great.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

As a busy self-employed working mum I really look forward to having a small slice of time out occasionally. One of my treats is having a breakfast at Tomato. I only do this about once a fortnight and every time i have to go back to the eggs benni served with bacon, with a beautiful large mushroom on the side. It is absolutely the best and most delicious I have had any where. Eggs are always perfection, the bacon tasty and with a trim flat white, the local paper and the awesome friendly staff and cosy atmosphere, it truly is a treat and awesome time out. I am usually in and out in 20 minutes to half an hour, which is great as well, as I don't have heaps of time to spare.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Many years ago I spent a lot of time in these premises when they were the George Street Deli. It has had several incarnations since, but now the vibe has gone back to close what it was. Passing through, I had to check it out. I went in with a plan to have some Italian food but since smoked fish never shows up on any menu in my local restaurants, I opted for the smoked Warehou with green beans and "house potato". The fish was delicious, the beans well cooked but the potato seemed to be a moulded circle of mash or grated potato put in the oven for a long time, it was rather dried out. Service took a while - they seemed aware of that as the wait staff apologised for the delay every time I saw them. But overall it was a friendly, relaxed sort of place with an eclectic clientele which I would happily return to.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've previously reviewed this place and found it to be average. My partner wanted to go for breakfast and I figured since it was voted best cafe in palmy in 2012 we couldnt go wrong. We were wrong. I had mince on toast with a poached egg on top. The toast was soggy, the mince was bland and tasteless and the egg was a bit random. My partner liked his but said his big breakfast was rather standard. For being very quiet on a Sunday morning the food took a long time. What I also didn't appreciate was the boss or manager yelling to kitchen and wait staff about an abusive customer...was a bit unprofessional if you ask me. And as a paying customer I wouldn't want them speaking of me illy if i complain about the food they serve.

1  Thank Aimz2416
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I really enjoy this restaurant for its NZ memorabilia, old school music and relaxed atmosphere. The coffee's and pizza's are very nice, and as Sandra L says, its a great place to step back in time and relax. The staff are friendly which also makes for a great place to be.