“Old, tired and Unkempt”

Ambassador Motel
Ohakune, New Zealand
“Old, tired and Unkempt”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Chose the Ambassador Motel online because it was among the cheaper ones available at the time - we were after a place to stay one night only. The place was tired, untidy and needs some TLC. Having stayed there I would have paid an extra $20 - $40 to go into a nicer motel.
The place could be quite nice with some maintenance and cleaning but at the moment I would not recommend it at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
paul k, Owner at Ambassador Motel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
once again we find your reviews are only designed to destroy a persons business -Trip advisor is not an authentic review system as they have no way of knowing even if the people stayed and it is becoming increasingly common for other motels to get guest to write bad reviews about the competition

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hamilton, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

We arrived to our destination after a 6 hour drive to the sight of the unclean reception area accompanied by a green fish tank which hadn't been cleaned for months, grounds untidy,lawns long,pool grubby and weeds everywhere!!!! There was a dog in a kennel/run in the pool area and that hadn't been cleaned out for awhile wasn't very inviting for my young child!!!!
The photo's on the website are definitely FALSE advertising as this motel is not up to that standard in the photo!!
The unit wasn't much better.It smelt of stale cigarettes,the cupboard stunk of curry which over powered the whole unit! The towels looked grubby,the bathroom and kitchen looked like it needed a good scrub and the unit hadn't been vacuumed for awhile!
I took the duvet covers off the beds as they were very dirty and stained and unclean!
We were supplied with 4 sachets of teabags and sugar to last us 3 days in the unit for 3 people!
We spent 1/3 nights in the unit we ended up going to the lovely motel A'la Vista next door and spent the rest of our stay there!!It was lovely and very clean!!!
We would never stay at The Ambassador ever again and will not recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristin N
paul k, Owner at Ambassador Motel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
i am sorry you feel this way but the money we charged your group was a fraction what Destination manawatu charged your group.We were up front with what we offered and if we had known you did not want four to a room we would have charged more -does seem strange to us that the other seven rooms that were booked all stayed and had no complaints

Travelers are raving about these Palmerston North hotels

New Plymouth, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

When we arrived at the motel to book in no one in site,rang the bell a couple times just about to leave when some one arrived can I help you.Will I booked in paid our fee and said thats your unit down there,not shown over it just thats it.Well we drove around to the unit,unpacked the car and went inside to sit down after a long drive.Well the wallpaper was torn,the frig had not been thawed out milk from the previous tennant was rock hard and a bottle of water (H2O) rock hard..Well apart from that there were cobwebs in the corners,the toilet had pubic hairs around the bowl my wife had to give it a clean before we could use it.Went out for a day to return no handtowel had been replaced,no sugar for a cup of tea and had to fill the electric jug from the bathroom hand basin,one of the towels had dirty marks all over it,The unit was intidy no vacuuming had been done for a couple days,but we put up with it as I had it for 2 nights.My overall review of the place was 2/10.I would not recommend it to any of my friends.I got breakfast one morning and the chap brought every thing in on a tray,but he had no socks and shoes just bare feet,what sort of motel are these people running.

Room Tip: Stay clear of this place.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bob M
paul k, Owner at Ambassador Motel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
most owners are out working so do not spend all there time in the office , it is also common practice to give customers there keys and explain where the room is,if the person needs help i am only to willing to offer assistance.
The coffee tea and sugar are all complimemtary and are replaced each day-what you didnt memtion in al your complaining was you got your room at a fraction of what we should have charged and we had three other groups in with severe disabilities that i spent most weekend hepling in and out of rooms who were all more than happy with the service they got .
As for breakfast i was wearing jandals and make no apology for that -
You are one of those people who would never be happy and like you we would be only to happy if you dont come back
New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

I arrived and my first impression was the grounds haven't been tended to in a while. Weeds overgrowing, rubbish and cigarette butts floating around, the pool didn't look inviting either. The photos on the website must have been taken a long time ago. Even the reception area had dead flowers and a filthy fish tank.
My room wasn't much better. Dirty and needed a good vacum, dust and wipe down. Dead insects and cobwebs, dirty surfaces. The couch wasn't clean, and the cushions need to be binned. The bed didn't seem clean and the sheet had a hole in it and the duvet was dirty and needed a wash. My accommodation had been booked and paid for by someone else so I was stuck here for several days.
During my stay my sheets were never changed which isn't a biggie but given how unclean the place felt, clean sheets would have helped. Towels were changed twice though which was good. I had personal belongings stolen from my room during my stay along with other team mates. Really disappointing all in all.
On the plus side its a good location, the rooms are a good size, there is a good sized tv in the room, and free internet and parking.
I know this is a budget hotel, but regardless surely it could be kept clean as a bare minimum.
To be honest I'd rather stay at another motel for the same price which is nice and clean. Unfortuantely I won't be returning to this motel again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lara W
paul k, Owner at Ambassador Motel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
we take full responsibilty for your bad expierence but do dispute some of your claims -the sheets are all sent away and commercially cleaned and as your stay was only three days the sheets are not changed as is most motels policy.We had just hired a new cleaner who turned out to be a thief and was not cleaning the rooms properly at all -as soon as we found out she was stealing we fired her and we did offer to pay for your ph that was stolen .
The rooms were booked by your agent for over 40 people at a very reduced price because he wanted to put extra people in each room so the over crowding was what he requested.
We now have very good cleaners and all our bedding has been replaced
Wellington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

Photos advertising this complex online must have been taken years ago.
Rooms shabby & dirty. Grounds unkept. Pool dirty. Linen certainly needs to be replaced or at the very least a good soak. Pillows , blankets , etc all very grubby. Overall a very poor , substandard Motel.
As I had prepaid online I was forced to stay there , but slept on a blanket I had in my car.
Buyer beware..

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank NZMumWellington
paul k, Owner at Ambassador Motel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
i have real problems with people who hide behind nasty reviews and say what they like -all our linien is sent away and commercially cleaned-we are one of the very few motels that does actually have grounds and they are maintained on a weekly basis-
with over 15000 people through in the short time we have been here i find that the seven complaints we have had are from small minded people who have nothing better to do with there lifes -real complaints are dealt with -fictisous ones are just that
Wanganui, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

Fingerprints and furniture in need of repair, dull rooms, ashtray full of butts, dirty swimming pool. Had to ask for a pillow case...... Never to return!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Barb053
paul k, Owner at Ambassador Motel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
you are one of those people who wanted a bargin price motel but wanted five star facilities.
We completely dispute all your claims and would rather unreasonable people like you didnt stay here as we have thousands of very satisfied customers who love what we offer in both budget prices and great facilities
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

As a regular guest at this Motel over the last two years it was always well maintained and clean, however my last two visits have been disappointing.There has been a change of Management and on my most recent visit I discovered hairs on the sheets, and they didn't smell clean, cobwebs all over the walls, Urine in the seat lid of the loo,. Not wanting to sleep in the double bed so thought I would try my luck with the spare single bed. Saw a dark stain under the sheet and discovered a unwashed bloodstain on the mattress protector,very dusty, no chain on the door,and on a previous visit in another unit, someone tried to enter, fortunately I had a chain on the door. Turns out it was a guest checking in and they gave them the wrong key.They allow dogs in the rooms.Oh and I could've vacuumed the floor myself and come away with a full bag of dust. Will not stay here again......

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank donut4u
paul k, Owner at Ambassador Motel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
I find it amazing that you call your self a regular guest when you have been here twice in three years-what you failed to mention was you were running a business from my room and failed to tell us and we had dozens of people coming and going all day upsetting genuine guest
The only dogs we allow are with genuine reasons ie guide dogs so this women should get her facts straight and we make no apologies for this.
All our rooms have chains on the door and are vacumed after each guest leaves.
This review was done out of spite because i complained about her running a commercial venture from our room and having unsavoury type people wandering in and out.
People like you like to free load and poor shop owners cant compete with fly by nighters who pay no expenses but get all the gains-try being honest with the next motel you stay at and you might get a better response