“A great slice of rugby history”

New Zealand Rugby Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The sport that shaped a nation.How did rugby come to play such an important role in the culture and heritage of New Zealand, and why are the All Blacks so good? Our Balls, Bullets and Boots Exhibition opens on 22nd August - Rugby Remembers WW1. Explore the rich history and folklore of the nation's game, see some of the world's rarest rugby artefacts, and learn about some of our rugby greats. You can get active by testing your rugby skills in the dedicated "Have A Go" area and measure yourself against the best.
Reviewed January 23, 2012

This is a very worthwhile exhibit in the rejuvenated te Manawa museum which promises even more in the future as they develop and add more exhibits. I like the way the history develops over the decades and you can see the development to the professional game. It was also great to see various trophies including the Webb-Ellis trophy on display over the holiday break.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I took friends from England who had come for the Worl Cup. We all enjoyed the museum.As a historian I enjoyed seeing exhibits from stories I knew and learning about new events. Everything is laid out clearly andlogically. I felt the 1970s and 1980s were a little "thin" but, otherwise, this was well worth the visit.

1  Thank nitram54
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I enjoyed the Rugby Museum immensely. Not only does it document the development of the game in New Zealand, but it also charts our social history. Fascinating stuff.
The section in the middle for the kids to "have a go" at the game is great.
I wish I'd had more time to spend reading about all the history of the wonderful exhibits. Sadly we were rushed because one member of our party was NOT interested in rugby, and wanted to leave. I will have to make the time to go back.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

I had been to the old museum and was impressed but now they have shifted and have more display space it is amazing how many wonderful items they have. If you are at all interested in Rugby this is a must see! This is the New Zealand Rugby Museum not just a local effort with items dating from the beginning of world rugby to the current day.

1  Thank palmynz
Reviewed November 1, 2010

For a country where Rugby is a religion you would expect a Museum to it to be in one of the main centres not a mid size town like Palmerston North in the middle of the North Island. Of course the locals argue that Palmerston North is the birth place of Rugby in New Zealand & if anyone has the proof to back it up they do.

The Rugby Museum has pieces of Rugby history going back to the very beginning & its not just items from New Zealand but from most Rugby playing nations.

They have everything from pins to ties to team caps & uniforms along with some the crazy gear that the crowds wear.

While it was amazing to visit the Rugby museum now I will have to come back in 2011 as they are moving to a larger building closer to town in April & will be able to display more of their collection to the public.

1  Thank timthetraveller_com