“A little ordinary”

Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Palmerston North
Wellington, New zealand
“A little ordinary”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My partner and I usually stay at Aubyn Court when in PN [approc once every 2-months] and the only reason I wanted to try somewhere different was due to having to sit outside the front door, in plain view of all the other rooms when having a cigarette. I found Kiwi Studios up on the internet under preference for 'balcony' as well as spa bath being a must. Price was only $5 cheaper than the walk-in price that I receive from Aubyn Court for their Executive Studio so I assumed it would be of a comparable standard.. Carol greeted us on arrival and was very pleasant. My dissapointment comes from the rooms being too small, the quality of fittings and furniture feeling 'cheap' and find it ridiculous that 'balcony' referred to the only way to access the room on the first floor and not a balcony separate to the room that I could go out and have a cigarette on privately. Location was great but Aubyn Court beats this hands down as value for money in every deaprtment..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Phuketin09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
South Waikato NZ
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Had unit 8 which had a great layout, except the pocket sized bathroom. Very narrow carparks, but fortunately the motel was not busy when we stayed. Great location - no need to use the car which was a plus. Handy to shops, restaurants, etc
Had no soap in shower. No apology for missing sky remote or soap.
Booked for 2x nights, but left after one due to slack, unfriendly Management.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank smilesrfreeNZ2013
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed here with friends and got the family suite. Excellent price in comparison to other motels in Palmerston North. The lady running it was very helpful. The location is excellent and quieter than i thought it would be. If i wanted somewhere cheap to stay, I'd stay there again. No frills but a good location, a good price and it was clean

I needed a needle and thread to fix a button and they didn't have one. I think they may be new to running motels and im not going to mark them down for that but its something they should have available

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
New Plymouth
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Travelling on my own . Studio unit well appointed and exceptionally clean, and modern. Bed very comfortable, with good linen. Bathroom a little small but again; clean.
Even though in the centre of town, I felt secure as they shut the main gates at night. Free wi-fi is good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sue C
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Excellent location. Very clean. However just a few things I think would have made our stay perfect. The room was cold. We had to use the little fan heater as there was no central heating. This did warm up quite quickly so not really a problem but definitely noticed. Quite a dark room. While I don't mind low lights when it comes to the bathroom or the large mirrow in the lounge where I like to see what I am wearing and how my makeup is I would have liked extra lighting or more wattage in the bulbs? This is a must in my department. The internet was not working one night. Not sure why, next day it was working just quite slow. There were three of us in the double room unit and all we were given were 3 T Bags. We could drink that on arrival. What about breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper drinks? Not impressed at all in this area. Also we were given a couple of little little boxes of milk. That was all, we had to buy the rest. No wonder there were no more TBags as they wouldn't supply enough milk to use them. Seriously though I think TBags and Milk should be a definite. Apart from all that if the TBags and milk was adjusted I would stay again. Maybe an extra wattage of light for the mirror as well. But yes place was clean and tidy so that was great. Lots of room. Bathroom smallish and shower door seemed to open the wrong way. Clean so that is a bonus as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank nzwestie
Hawera, New Zealand
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This motel is right in town. We were given a very friendly welcome. They had a room to put our mountain bikes. There were modern TV's in both rooms.
Handy place to stay. We appreciated the free wi-fi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LleF461
Andover, New Hampshire
Reviewed November 25, 2012

On a trip to Palmerston North, to retrieve our son from university, we booked a stay at the Kiwi Studios Motel. It was nice that they offered some accommodations for a family that had three adults. We found the executive room that we booked to be clean and spacious. The room even had the extra convenience of an in-room washer and dryer. We did find the rooms to be a bit chilly and could not figure out how to turn up the heat. We did discover the next day that the bed was equipped with an electric heating pad that may have made sleeping a bit more comfortable.

The parking area was tight however we always were able to park in the car park area. The manager was friendly and this was a nice motel that I would stay at again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family