“Frustrated”

Kiwi Studios Motel
Kiwi Studios Motel
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Palmerston North
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Arrived from Wellington, informed reception I would be leaving early the next morning and would like to settle my account then. Having booked on line my credit card details were required, so when I was only charged for the breakfast I had just ordered, I thought nothing of it as it is normal practice to debit your credit card for the room.
The following day, I received a call from the motel saying I had skipped without paying and how was I going to rectify this. I drove 80km back to the motel to pay for the stay.
While staff were pleasant, they need to be more aware of their systems. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Robert L

Reviewed February 19, 2012

Drove up from Wellington at the start of February and had to take the last room available on a Tuesday night. It was a one-bedroom suite. It was a little bit awkward carrying luggage up around 20 steps to the first floor. My other half nearly fell when suddenly the carpeted balcony walkway outside the rooms drops down without warning around 75 mm. The suite was small and quite warm even though it was later in the afternoon and when we went to turn on the air-conditioning, we realised that the units were heating only. The only window in the bedroom was a wind out small window right at the top of the room. I could imagine that in the heat of summer the unit could become rather stifling as there was a distinct lack of ventilation without causing security concerns. Wi-Fi worked well and this property had a distinct advantage in being absolutely central to town providing easy access to shops and restaurants.
I am not sure about the cleanliness-we found hairs on the towels and bed and in the spa. Fortunately, they seemed to be hairs from the head and not from other areas of the body. This was probably more due to lack of attention to detail than anything.
Noise was a little bit of a problem because it was on the main road and cleaning trucks were going around early in the morning

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Stayed at Kiwi Studios for three days in a spa one-bedroom unit. The bathroom was the best part because of the size, spa, and separate shower. The living room area included the kitchen with a apartment sized refrigerator, two-burner stove, microwave, and flat screen TV on the wall. The king-sized bed was comfy with a flat screen TV on the wall.

Kiwi Studios is located in the downtown area and is surrounded with restaurants. Daily service is provided and hot chocolate was included with the tea and coffee service. Parking and excellent Wifi is included in the reasonable daily rate. All of the staff is very friendly and willing to offer excellent advice. Nice hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ronvoyage
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Arrived late Saturday evening having spent 45+ hours in transit to reach Palmerston North from Pittsburgh, PA (long story). Staff were super friendly ( and offered me a cold beer after I explained how far I had travelled!) and the room was great. Price was better than other hotels in the area that were reviewed poorly. Highly recommend Kiwi Studios Motel!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Joel C
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Booked this Motel over the internet for 1 night as it was the best priced. On arrival myself and 2 sisters were put into a 2 bedroom suite. We were pleasently surprised as the unit was very mode and had everything. Large bathroom with shower and large spa bath, 3 tvs, kithchen even had washing machine/dryer. Staff very friendly and helpful. Thank you Kiwi Studios, will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Maybe we got a dud room. Booked a two bedroom studio. Were placed in a one-bedroom studio with a double bed (no couch) in the lounge. Tiny, cramped place. Freezing cold. The bathroom was so small that it was difficult to actually get out of the way of the door to shut it, nearly fell in the toilet doing so! When we approached the receptionist about the fact that we'd booked a 2 bedroom place and got 1 bedroom she acted like we were being quite silly about it. We were travelling with young children and were extremely cramped in the tiny place. Paint was visibly chipping off all the walls, a very crappy renovation job 5-10 years ago looks like it cost about $300 at the time and adds to the feeling that you're staying in the dive. My daughter said it was 'huckery' and I think that's a good way to describe it. We were booked for 3 nights but about half an hour after arriving rang around Palmerston North. Ended up at Kauri Court Lodge the next morning in their serviced apartments and I can not recommend those highly enough. Skip Kiwi Studios and head straight to Kauri Court. To add insult to injury, we were still charged the full price the next morning when we left Kiwi Studios, in spite of being given a 1 bedroom studio instead of 2.
Not recommended at all.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Heavypetal1
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have been staying at Kiwi Suites one night per week for over two years as part of my work travel. The rooms are always spotlessly clean ,the beds very comfortable and the staff always friendly and cheerful. On a couple of times my wife has accompanied me and we have used the "spa" suite, which i recomend to any couple. I also recomnd the cooked breakfast, so generous it keeps me going until a late lunch at about 2:30pm. highly recomended to all visiters to palmerston north

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business