“Beautiful house and wonderful hosts”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palmerston North
Country Lane Homestay
Hong Kong
“Beautiful house and wonderful hosts”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Just spent 3 days there and absolutely enjoyed every bit of our stay!
I had 3 days course at Massey and husband came along. We weren't keen on staying in chain store motels and would prefer B&B (loved kiwi B&Bs last time we travelled here). Fay and Allan's place is about 10km from Massey and an easy 15 min drive with no traffic but some good farm views. We rent a car so commute was not a problem. Fell in love with the cute house the second we saw it. We had the upstair room with a superb bathtub, we enjoyed hot bath each night! If you choose to do it during the day, you'll have sunshine and a pretty garden and farmland view. Bed was so comfortable I slept through whole night, although I was supposed to have some jet lag. Fay spoiled us with huge breakfast. We had 3 different breakfast for 3 days and pretty much tried 10 different Fay's home made jam. The freshly squeezed lemonade was a great wake up drink (I didn't know there is actually a fruit called lemonade)!
While I was at Massey, my husband got lots of useful tips from Fay and Allan and had a few wonderful local trips. He enjoyed also lying on the couch under the afternoon sun reading (says a lot of the comfort of the couch cos hubby has never been much of a reading person). Fay even went on to treat him afternoon tea and short cakes on the terrace! Loved their pet sheep too. Fay packed a bag of lemonade fruits for us to take on the following trip. I don't think it can get any better than this!
We loved this B&B and our hosts a lot and will highly recommend it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Auckland
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My partner and I had two wonderful days here. Fay and Allan were very welcoming, helpful, kind and attentive hosts. Our breakfasts were a stunning visual feast with very generous quantities of delicious homemade food. I recommend this lovely country retreat.

Room Tip: Quiet location surrounded by very peaceful countryside, beautifully appointed rooms, lovely large an...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank K G
New York
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I were in New Zealand in March, 2013 visiting our new grandson in Wellington. I wanted to do some trout fishing with a guide in the Palmerston North area a few hours north of my daughter's house. The guide recommended The Country Lane Homestay. We booked two nights and dinner on the second night. Fay greeting us when we arrived in the afternoon and served tea and homemade orange cake in her parlor. She recommended a restaurant nearby for dinner. It was excellent. Breakfast was marvelous. She served over 6 different homemade jams and jellies with home baked bread. Most everything we ate was grown on their farm. She served bacon and eggs and a baked tomato plus a different kind of toasted home baked bread. I left for fishing and my wife prepared to spend the rest of the day reading. About noon, Fay invited her to have lunch with her. Later that afternoon, Fay served her tea and cakes. I arrived back from fishing at about 5:30 PM. Alan, her husband, greeted me and made tea and cakes since I looked exhausted! We dined with them and their son and his girl friend. Supper was steaks from their own cattle along with pan roasted potatoes and all sorts of fresh veggies. She had also made me some beef stew that could be heated up quickly in case I got back from fishing late. Dinner was accompanied by a bottle of Merlot. Dessert was home made rum raison ice cream. Breakfast the next morning was even better than the first morning. Their hospitality was very special. It was the highlight of our trip (next to the grandson!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rogeree
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Country Lane Homestay is situated a short distance from Palmerston North, near Manawatu Gorge and below the wind farm. The home is beautifully decorated and the guest rooms are spacious and comfortable. Fay and Allan, our friendly hosts, served a yummy afternoon tea on arrival and later, we enjoyed a delicious pre-ordered dinner cooked by Fay and served in their lovely, spacious dining room. Breakfast in the morning was also excellent. Allan proudly showed us the beautiful garden surrounding the home and after a short walk up the road, his sawmill and pet sheep. Their home and hospitality were perfect!

• Liked — Peaceful location and beautiful home and hospitality
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family