“Don't go there!!!”

Waterfall Cottages
Perth
“Don't go there!!!”
Reviewed April 23, 2010

After booking this property through an internet travel agent for four nights in April, we arrived to find out that we as a family had been double booked due to poor property management. Without so much of an apology from the owner Sue, we where sent on our way to a sub-standard property in town to complete the stay we had planned. Bear in mind, she still had not checked in all guests and there was still cottages available upon our arrival. She did deny that she had a wedding party booked (obviously all staying together on property) even after sighting the bride. We beg to differ and in our opinion was the case in this instance. She was unhelpful, blamed anybody she could for her mistake, (all other parties including the travel company where not at fault whatsoever) and her office was a sight for sore eyes! What a mess! How these people are in business is beyond us?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Saba01Perth
abc45, Owner at Waterfall Cottages, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
As the owner/ manager I wish to respond to the comments made. The guest involved was understandably upset at the double booking and unfortunately took it out on me, the innocent party. The double booking was made by a third party who failed to notify me of the booking. I have since terminated my arrangement with them. As we were fully booked and had been for some time, I spent 3 hours on a Saturday evening trying to find her alternative accommodation that she was happy with; not an easy task on a busy weekend in Margaret River, and I picked up the bill for the discrepancy in costs even though I was not at fault. I was courteous at all times despite the accusations made . It should be noted that the party involved had not contacted our office directly before arrival which was required of them in the booking confirmation. If they had done so the whole situation might have been avoided.
If the office appeared disorganised it was because I was spending so much time on sorting out the situation. It is certainly not the usual case. We are a small operation who pride ourselves on the personal approach to our guests, not a large resort with the trappings that involves. Most of our guests appreciate that point of difference.
It should also be noted that none of the comments related to the actual accommodation , just the booking process.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 8, 2010

We stayed here in March for 5 nights in a "luxury spa cottage" which according to the website was "new".

Firstly, the good: Margaret River is lovely area with countless number of wineries, lovely beaches and fantastic food. Waterfall cottages is located right in the middle of the region between the two capes so makes it easy to explore the whole area. Also quite conveniently located to the main Margaret River shopping strip where there are cafes, supermarkets, gourmet butchers etc.
The cottage is also very private. We didn't hear much noise at all from other people staying on the property (although it was not a busy time of year anyway) and the BBQ on the verandah was very handy. There is also an abundance of wildlife including ducks, roos and rabbits which come out around dusk.
The not so great: The luxury spa cottages are advertised on their website as being new and 5 star standard. There is also some stuff about being stunningly designed and decorated but that could be subjective so I won't talk too much about that. While the cottage was nice, it certainly wasn't what I would call luxurious by any standards. When we arrived, the 2 person corner spa had no less than 4 dead bugs in it. And they weren't small (one was a moth) and had been obviously squashed as one of them had lost its wings. Needless to say we did not use the spa. They also advertise a king size bed; the bed in our cottage would have been a queen at best and only had a flat sheet to use as a blanket at night. Again, not my idea of luxury especially given the cooler weather. The washer/dryer supplied had some old stagnant water left in it with gunky bits...this wouldn't budge even after we ran one cycle to try and clean it out so we didn't make use of this either. The LCD TVs are the size of computer screens and the one in the lounge is on a shelf so high that you have to crane your neck to watch it if you are sitting on the couch. Plus, peeling paint over the skirting throughout the cottage made me wonder when they last updated their website. Oh, and there were no scented candles as promised either.

Service itself was ok. They have a very ill tempered alaskan malamute (a big dog!) guarding the office door which barks and growls when approached (you have to go into the office to check in and out) and at no point during our check in did they offer any information about the region or make any friendly conversation about our trip. On check out, unsurprisingly we were not asked if we enjoyed our stay.

This is at best an average establishment in a great location, but certainly not a luxury 5 star getaway. Lucky for us, there were so many things to do in Margaret River that we didn't need to spend too much time in our accommodation.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank azuresky
abc45, Owner at Waterfall Cottages, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
As the owner manager I wish to respond to several comments made by the reviewer. First and foremost the bed is definitely a king bed and extremely comfortable as many guests have commented. I have no idea why the guest would think otherwise. As to the dead bugs it is very difficult to control moths in the country and when they die they drop their wings, so it would not have been "squashed" as stated. We maintain a very high level of cleanliness in our spas, more so than many other places in fact as I know how important this is. The washing machine situation was reported to me and has now been fixed, and we have redone the skirting boards as part of ongoing maintenance. The cottage is 5 years old now so not exactly new but very well maintained and in terms of the standards usually found in selfcontained accommodation, (including privacy, location and outlook features ) as opposed to luxury hotels, still qualifies as luxury in my opinion. I do always ask guests on checking out how they enjoyed their stay, but may have been otherwise occupied on this occasion and we do pride ourselves on our personal approach. There is also a guest comments sheet in each cottage to highlight any problems.
Brisbane, Queensland
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 nights at Waterfall Cottages with wallabies in the grounds and waterfall nearby. The unit was clean and sufficiently appointed for us to prepare meals.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
perth
Reviewed October 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed for three nights in the studio and we had a great time. We found the studio although small, was comfortable; the bed in particular and the couch which in many place often is hard but this one was really soft. The bathroom is really small so if you are wanting to pamper yourself in that way then the studio isn't for you. I noticed one reviewer said there was little ventilation; I don't agree there is one window in the bathroom which can be opened, four stain glass windows in the studio itself and another window in the studio which can be opened - also the door! Also, the studio has ceiling to floor windows in one corner so lots of light. The only criticism is that I think given we paid $140 a night and in this day and age, they should update the TV to a small flat screen - there is a tiny portable TV. I would also suggest that staying a max of three nights is probably enough given the space contraints and that none of the cottages are serviced (which I found great! lots of privacy). The decor was nice and suited the place. We would stay again but I think we would book the small cottage which at $170 pn is better value considering all the extra space you get. This is accomodation suited to those that just want to be left alone to get on with the business of relaxing!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed July 15, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed in the studio unit for 2 nights in late June. Though the stay is short, but we both fell in love with the place.

Some of the comments I read earlier suggested the studio is small with tacky decor, which I believe it's a bit overstated. The place is just right for 2 adults. The furnitures may not be new but clean and well maintained. Kitchenwares are well-equipped (hmm on a second thought... we did borrow a casserole from the lady in the office when trying to make cheese macroni, but literally we're short of nothing). The environment is very quiet and peaceful, tho' there are houses nearby but I haven't seen a soul for the 2 days I spent in the cottage.

One thing to be mindful is you get to see a lot of kangaroos off road, one day I saw almost 20 of them resting on the lawn! I'm not sure whether they are raised or complete wildlife, but be extremely careful when driving. Speaking of driving, it's really hard to drive off the main road in winter when weather is less stable. I came across 3 times of tree block and have to detour and re-route.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 020Lucy
Lancashire, UK
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We stayed for 6 nights at these well positioned cottages. They are situated approximately 5 minutes by car from the centre in a beautiful quiet and private setting, they are in lovely grounds with lawned area sloping down to a small lake. Although the grounds are shared with other cottages we never saw anyone else around other than the seven ducks who appeared as if by magic when we opened the door, two kangaroos and one rabbit. Birds are in abundance, various parrots, kookaburras and fairy wrens to name a few, which make for a tuneful dawn chorus!

We were a group of two adult couples and had a family cottage which can sleep 6. There was one double bedroom on the ground floor with wardrobe and dressing table. The open mezzanine area had two further sleeping areas, one containing a double bed and the other two singles. They were separated/partitioned by wardrobes only and were visible from the downstairs living area, not therefore completely private.

The kitchen had an electric cooker, fridge/freezer, microwave, kettle and toaster. All was in good working order and we did cook full meals without any problems at all. A dining table with seating for six, two large settees and a coffee table were in the same open plan living area. There was a TV and DVD player. Doors opened onto the patio area which was furnished with a wooden table and benches.

Located in an alcove area beside the stairs was a wash basin with vanity unit for storage etc which also contained a hairdryer. At one end of the alcove there was a separate small shower room which was adequate, there was a towel rail and the window ledge was useful for toiletries. There was a separate toilet cubicle at the other end of the alcove.

We had air-conditioning and there was a wood-burning stove, we didn't need to use either but did use the ceiling fans. All was very clean and comfortable but as others have commented it could have done with a lick of paint and a furniture/fittings upgrade. The cottage is ideal for a family with older children as the open tread stairs would be a hazard for little ones.

The cottage was good value for money and is available for part or whole weeks and weekends. They are in such a quiet location, no noise to be heard at all from the nearby minor road and I had the best nights sleep in ages here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mazza-500
Perth Western Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2008

My husband and I stayed in a Studio which was adequate but there is no wardrobe, just 3 hooks on a wall and nowhere to store suitcases. There's nowhere to put toiletries in the bathroom just a tiny shelf. There's only two windows, one in the bathroom and one in the main room which means there's not enough ventilation. There is an airconditioner but we didn't use it.

On the positive side there's a lot of birdlife, we saw lots of kangaroos on the property one with a joey, there's lots of plants around the buildings which give you privacy. There is an outside table and chairs so you can enjoy meals out in the open. There is an excellent barbecue which is cleaned daily. The property is well located being reasonably close to the town and the many wineries and restaurants.

I would stay again but not in a Studio.

• Liked — The visiting wildlife.
  • Disliked — Lack of ventilation in the Studio.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Idaellen