“perfect location for a weekend away”

Hidden Valley Forest Retreat
Reviewed September 30, 2012

my partner and i stayed in the deepwater retreat for 2 nights over the long weekend and we werent dissapointed. the location is spectacular, not cheap but well worth the money spent. having read a couple of negative reviews we have judged the retreat as we saw it and we cant fault our experience. the host/owner sally was extremelt friendly, helpful and accomodating. the fresh homemade continental breakfast was beautiful. we reccomend the retreat to any couples looking for a relaxing weekend away and we look forward to returning in the near future. thanks again to sally and the other staff for helping us celebrate our honeymoon

Room Tip: deepwater retreat is a must
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank simontw23

Reviewed September 18, 2012

After staying at a number of retreats in the South West this would be the only bad & worst experience I've ever had.
I suprised my Wife & booked the Deep Water retreat chalet for a special occasion . On entry to the chalet we were
greeted with cobwebs around cieling and windows with flies stuck in them, a kitchen fan with oil dripping off it and a fridge that stinks to high heaven. To top it off a hour & a half after we arrived at our private Deep Water retreat with an outdoor spa the caretaker and his kids turn up without notice to pull a net in off the jetty wich accompanies Deep water Retreat so I'm not to happy with the invasion of privacy!
However after I phoned them about the problems we have had they offered us 2 bottles of wine for the caretker visit and to come and clean again. I would have thought when you pay $495 per night it would be spotless in the first place.
Anyway thanks for a weekend that was supposed to be special but wasn't!!
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I gave my girlfriend a rough idea where we were going...she has super high expectations and hidden valley exceeded my girlfriends expectations! And mine!...the definition of relaxing! The massage,the waking up to the animals in the Forrest,the wine and especially the home made platter and food. I even stuffed my order up and had nothing for the Saturday night....called up and it was my mistake but they accommodated us with in 10mins with most lovely meal.
I was due to fly back offshore on the Monday and I was trying to delay that because it was just so dam relaxing! Couldn't speak high enough about the place...we will be back very soon!
Broc,Rachel.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any room!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed 3 years ago in their Deep water retreat and loved it so much that we returned this month for a 3 night stay. It was good but not fantastic like last time. You can't help but feel they are doing things on the cheap. We never had our room cleaned once which was dissapointing as the last thing you want to do is make your bed when you are paying 5 star prices. The coffee and tea were not replaced so we ended up having to buy our own. 3 years ago they use to make fresh bread and drop it off and clean the room, replace milk, tea and coffee everyday. On the plus side their property manager Andrew was very pleasant and knowldegable. It is a beautfiul spot in the forrest very peaceful and quiet. The outdoor spa is amazing. If the owners would put more effort into the little things I would think this place would be booming with couples.

Room Tip: Deepwater Cabin is the best.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We were fortunate enough to be treated to a 2 night stay at Hidden Valley by my husband's friends from work after he had received a bleak prognosis from a second bout of cancer. It was a mystery trip so we didn't know until just before we got there where we were going. What a wonderful stay we had! We left feeling relaxed and full of great food - from the chef-cooked dinner on the first night, to the two humongous platters for lunch the first day and dinner the second night, not to mention the English breakfasts each morning. I had an amazing 2 1/2 hour massage and facial - pure indulgence! Our Eco Lodge was supremely comfortable and the possum was an added bonus! We would definitely recommend this as a great way to spend time as a couple away from the rat race.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I have just read the last review and wondered if they had got the wrong address. We so enjoyed the whole dream-like experience of living in the middle of a forest with not a soul in sight. The out door hot spa went down a treat with the missus; the beautifully prepared breakfast was a blast and we so enjoyed this magical event in our lives. The owners are kind and generous and their wine, as so often happens with vignerons, reflects their nature. The possum called Percy was a bit cheeky but hey, what's a few red grapes, cheese and crisps if you want to get to closer to the forest ? And as for that gorgeous cardinal red fox that ran past in high pursuit of frere rabbit, it was all too much. We couldn't get enough of this place. Oliver and Lavinia. The place was spotless.

Room Tip: the place by the lake is best
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank milesPerth
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I chose Hidden Valley Forest Retreat for a romantic getaway, I wish it had delivered on it's promises but sadly it couldn't. To check in at reception we had to pick our way through several piles of dog faeces on the path, not a good start. The EcoLodges were smaller than expected and immediate impressions were of the worn, unclean flooring and stained carpets. The very grubby, dilapidated and uninviting sofa may have been more at home in a backpackers hostel, not a romantic lodge. The decor of the 'luxury' bathrooms was basic to say the least and there was even grafitti on the dirty windows which appeared as soon as they steamed up. The whole of the accommodation was dusty and needed a good clean. The accommodation appeared old, worn and in need of refurbishment. Added to this the food was really unremarkable. "Premium aged fillet" turned out to be a thin piece of $5 frozen steak with the price poorly scored out. I hadn't realised 'aged' meant aged in the freezer. It seemed quite cheeky to charge $75 for this with a basic salad and cheap coleslaw from the supermarket. "Eggs from much loved hens" arrived in a box marked "caged eggs". It seems the well written website cannot deliver. I can't help but agree with the other reviews that the owners seem to penny pinch on the basics whilst charging premium rates for the location which is nice but does not make up for the poor standard of accommodation and food which needs a complete overhaul. If you stay here, take your own food. The next time I want a quiet night in the forest, I will consider camping, I'd be better off. I found Hidden Valley Forest Retreat overpriced and not the romantic retreat it promised to be.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple