“Excellent resort, great location, lovely staff!”

Margarets Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Margaret River
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I too had a voucher deal and have just returned from a 3 night stay. I didn't check the reviews til just before we left and was worried about the negative reviews of noise.

First, I cannot believe that the devastating bush fires from last year have been mentioned here. More than 40 properties were lost and many more could have been if not for the valiant locals. It's hardly this resort's fault that they were smack bang in the middle of these terrifying fires!

Second, the resort is on one side of the road and the beach on the other. Hardly far away.

Third, Margaret River townsite is less than 10 mins away, hardly a long drive when you are in the country!

Now to the resort - rooms were clean and tidy, we had no trouble sleeping due to noise and in fact I was pleasantly surprised how quiet it was considering it was school holidays! Staff were exceptionally nice on arrival and on leaving. The pool and restaurant are fab.

Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Daisyinthedesert
LeeBurkettManagement, Owner at Margarets Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thankyou for your review. Yes all your points are true, the valiant locals and firefighters who protected homes and the resort are the unsung heroes. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

The resort is 10km out of the town, which is fine if beach visits and walking suits your holiday plans. A nice restaurant is onsite, and a beach cafe is within walking distance.
The self-contained room was clean and well presented, but we could hear the room above ours, when they were moving around. Overall an expensive place to stay, but most places around Margaret River are expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the children's playground, and ask for a first floor room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

We appreciate that you took the time to review our resort. Thankyou

Reviewed October 7, 2012

A big thank you to Lee and his team. He made us feel welcome and part of the family from the moment we stepped through the door. He gave us great tips and advice and nothing was too much trouble. Lee is very knowledgeable about what is available and he was engaging, cheerful, and hospitable from day one. The views were fabulous and the apartment had all that we needed. The walks around the area were lovely and the sunsets on the beach with a bottle of wine and cheese was a hit for many of us.
We booked an apartment as we like to do our own food, but I have to say that the restaurant take away, was very good and an excellent quality. The only small issue was the lact of a dishwasher ( 1 bedder) and therefore the utensils etc were probably not as clean as I would like using the liquid they left.
Peaceful and we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the beach, I think they are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thankyou for your kind words regarding myself and staff and our resort. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

When I arrived the booking had been made incorrectly by the on line booking provider. I had asked for an upstairs room some months before and was told there weren't any. The counter staff assisted me in getting an upstairs room but it was next too a group of " long termers" who were noisy in the evening and early morning. While trying to negotiate the internet connection I managed to loose the ability to actually even connect to the internet and the night manager/ owner was not at all helpful and showed me no empathy. I had paid for 4 hours and I was not able to even use it. The counter staff refunded my money which I appreciated. The resorts location makes it difficult to have breakfast or lunch locally but the restaurant nearby could not be faulted. The room was very clean and everything worked well. My experience was soured by the owners attitude to me on two occasions and as a result I will not recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Rooms running at right angles to the beach only have a very small sighting if any. There is a playgr...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
LeeBurkettManagement, Manager at Margarets Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

We do aim to make everyones stay as comfortable as possible. Management is onsite 24hrs a day and is contactable during the eveing if any problems do arise. Internet conncection is normally no problem, however if a problem does occur we do have computer tech people at work during office hours, after hours the managers computer abilities are limited. If the guest is incovieneced by not being able to access internet a full refund is given. We do have the White Elephant Cafe 2 minute walk from Resort, however it closes subject to weather in Winter. It has now reopened.
We thank you for your feedback and are glad that the majority of your stay was good.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed for a one-night getaway. Ideally you want to either be based at the resort the whole time, or have your own car, as it is about 10-15 minutes from Margaret River.

The room was a little old but in reasonable condition. The mattress was very soft, and the mattress protector very thin and didn't cover the whole mattress. Unfortunately we had some very inconsiderate guests next door who partied the whole night running around and playing music - at one point the manager came and told them to quiet down, but it didn't have any lasting effect. If you are a light sleeper it would be worth packing earplugs just in case you need them.

The room was really convenient and would have been great for a longer stay with a washing machine, dryer and kitchenette. We had breakfast at the cafe on the beach recommended by the owner - and while it was nice, the serves were on the small size with prices on the high side. Nevertheless, it was one night and if we were staying longer, we would have had used the kitchenette facilities.

The bathroom is quite large as it has the washing machine and dryer in it as well. Our toilet leaked and we could hear it dripping all night. The shower is over the bath and you have to step up into it - I'm average height, and I imagine if you were short or a kid it may have been a challenge! The shower rose wasn't well positioned - couldn't get it to spray above chest height - and the taps for the bath are a potential hazard while you are standing/turning in the shower as they are along the side wall.

The most outstanding feature was without doubt the genuine, friendly welcome on arrival and the very speedy check in and out process. I am not one to socialise with people I don't know, so I usually prefer short and to the point interactions with hotel staff. However, the warmth from the gentleman who greeted us was fantastic and he should be commended for his disarming, friendly demeanour.

We had a discount voucher and so staying here was very well priced, I'm not sure if I would stay here for full price. However, for a week-long family getaway with the convenient room amenities I can see the appeal.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thankyou for your points regarding the Manager, we pride ourselves on professionalism with country warmth and hospitality. I do hope you mentioned the few issue you encounterd on your guest survey to enable our staff to address these problem, if so thankyou.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is a well designed resort. The interior of our one bedroom apartment was in very good condition. the outside of the accomodation was a little tired but the restaurant was first class. Breakfasts are a problem as you have to go some distance or bring your own. As the resort is very close to the beach and the weather was very stormy we had a wonderful view of the huge surf. The wind was noisy as the full length windows had small vents at the top.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room for the view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay, when the storms whip up the surf it is magic to watch and the vantage point of your room was just the place. During the warmer months White Elephant Cafe is open for breakfast which is on 500m from the resort, unfortunately they are unable at present to be opened for breakfast during the colder months due to it's location on the beach. But they are working on being open all year round.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

When booking this resort I specifically asked for a quiet room as I was recovering from an illness. On arrival we were given a room which was right in the center of a huge playground. So during the day the noise was non-stop. In the evening the playground cleared out and I was looking forward finally to some quiet. No to be had. The insulation between rooms is terrible. Our bedroom area backed on to the adjoining room's laundry so heard the dryer rumbling for two hours. When that stopped we then had to endure several more hours of talking and laughter from the neighbors. We could hear every noise from their unit which was a large one- hence many people. My husband went and knocked on their door around 11pm to ask them to quiet down but they did not answer but they did quiet down a bit. We were booked in for two nights so bought ear plugs for the second night. I did not bother to complain as I had asked for a quiet room and was put in a playground area in the beginning so customer service was not forefront. My advice is to book a beachfront. This avoids the playground. On the plus side the manager was lovely on arrival and the room was clean. Close to the beach for sunset.

Room Tip: Book beach front
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple