“holiday in Marge River” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Margaret River
Singapore, Singapore
“holiday in Marge River”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

the apartment was a good size and well kept. There was a nice porch outside the room for reading. The location of the place is decent and pretty near to the main town centre though it was hard to find the place as we arrived at night .

The car park space outside the apartment is convenient and size of parking space is more than ample.

Overall it was a pleasant place to stay in and I would consider it again.
CM Chen , singapore.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank chen c
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Chen C.
We get a lot of guests from Singapore staying with us, new guests, return guests and those recommended to stay with us by former clients, so it's always nice to read a comment from Singapore.
Thank you for your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again one day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Just returned from my second trip to margaret river in the past month. Staying at the grange has made these trips enjoyable. Rooms are comfortable, tidy and very good value for the price. Being able to park right out the front is handy and when you've been driving all day and just want to wind down the 5min walk into town is perfect. Management and staff always make you feel welcome and the service is spot on. Highly Recommended!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank G_Munforti
Hello G_Munforti, thanks for your review.
It's true that we spend our days trying to make the Grange a pleasant place to stay, so when we read a positive review from a happy client it helps to make it all worthwhile.
Thank you very much for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.
Regards,
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed at this motel a year ago and although nothing special it is convienient for the town so I booked again for a February stay. My immediate impression upon return is that things have deterioated slightly with some cost saving measures in place. One small vial of shampoo for two people, ridiculously small bars of soap and small amount of toilet paper. There was no iron in the room although these things were available if your are prepared to walk to reception.

At 3:50pm on a Wednesday afternoon I was working at the table when a staff member knocked briefly and immediately entered our room with a master key. Had either my wife or myself been in any state of undress it would of been highly embarressing for all concerned. It was obvious that the room was occupied as our car was parked outside in the marked bay. I do not know what the staff member was thinking. I immediately rang reception without reply and I then walked to reception and found it unattended. I then waited until checkout next day to voice my dissatisfation with the event and the Manager told me the staff member "had not been trained". Its worth stating that the outside doors are not fitted with chains that would prevent this.
I have travelled extensively and this has never happened to me before and is totally unacceptable. Up to this point the owner has not contacted me.
I travel to Margaret River at least twice a year but will not be booking this Inn again. There are much better places offering better value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank BryanJ441
Sorry for the tardy response, everyone, my notification email address went down for three weeks and has only now come back on.
Bryan, this complaint has had a good airing and you have had an apology in person from me and an email apology, followed by a bottle of wine to your address (which we hope you received, because we never heard further from you).
The situation is quite clear, a former staff member made en elementary mistake, she knocked on your door and getting no audible response she entered, immediately withdrawing, with an apology, when she saw you there.
This is the third internet site on which I have read your version of this complaint and I have to say that no way is 'lack of privacy a big issue' at the Grange, quite the contrary.
That is all I will say.
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Look, admitabally the place is a bit rustic...heck. If you are just down in Margaret River for a short holiday and need a roof over your head, clean and tidy place...(even though it's not a 5 star premise)....I highly recommend it, for the simplicity they offer... The senior management has full understanding of customer confidentiality and privacy, which is very rare nowadays...holiday seasons are the most tiresome period for any operators in hospitality as staffing is ALWAYS a bother...and with ALL the wanna be's silver spoon in the mouth losers...it makes it all the harder to be hospitalbally able to provide. ONE SHOULD be able to understand that here in WESTERN AUSTRALIA all medium scale businesses are going down the tube, because of irresponsible wanna be's "superzelous reviews". Richard and the rest of the management team has my fullest respect and support. Stayed in Shiraz room for 4 nights and extended another 2...during the Christmas period of 2012. Again thank you sincerely from one hospitality proveryour to another.

Room Tip: Plan your holiday ahead.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rock y
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Hello rock y, thanks for your review straight from the heart!
Yes, life is never easy at the pointy end, and anyone can take shots and they do, nonetheless we press on and try to provide the best service suitable for the majority of our clients, most of whom leave happy with their stays (I know because they tell me so - even though they aren't motivated to rush into print).
Client confidentiality we do take seriously, as you've mentioned.
Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again one day, we remember your stay and enjoyed our conversations.
All the best for 2013.
Richard.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights last week. Parking right outside the room which is handy. We didn't eat here. We went to use the pool (which was half the reason we choose this place overall) but the state of was shocking. Management need to work on this. No beds out and the water was dirty. Shame as it left us disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Kombikru
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thanks Kombikru. We have had a couple of adverse comments about the pool in the last few days and I have now stepped-in personally to take charge of it. There are currently no issues.
Let me assure you that the water is never 'dirty', it may have leaves in it at any given time due to overhaging trees, although these are cleaned out daily, but the chemical quality is checked daily by ourselves, weekly by a professional pool maintenance man, and regularly by the Shire Health Dept.
Pool to one side, we are a well located affordable property just a few minutes walk to the Town Centre as so many reviewers have pointed out.
Thank you for your contribuition and we hope to see you again in the future.
Rgds,
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Friendly staff who are very accommodating to guest needs. Great location. 2mins walk from main road and great restaurants. Nightly rate was rather high (as with all other Margaret River accom) especially as breakfast is not included. Decor is outdated.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TenzoM
Thanks Tendai M. Yes, we are Old Fashioned in our way, but we do try to stay contemporary with the services we offer our guests, there is a demographic that appreciates our style and that is what encourages us to keep going. However, for the record, I'll just comment that 'we', the other half (I hope she doesn't read this one) and I, have recently employed a switched on younger lady to oversee a bit of a modernisation programme and to take up the reins as we older ones take a step back from the day to day fray. We are confident that the end result will be an improvement for our guests.
Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again one day.
Rgds,
Albany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Just spent 4 nights, was impressed with the size of the room. Overall it appeared clean but lying on the bed looking towards the "kitchen area" found cobwebs on the ceiling, heavy dust behind the bedside tables. the LED TV was mounted too high to view and was loosing picture quality so lowered it down to the desk unit where it improved picture quality immensely. TV was covered in thick dust. Bed was just ok & no latch on main window. (security issue) The door lock to the court yard was difficult to turn and needs replacing (common fault with old tie-bolt lock sets). Also there appeared to be a dried lump of faeces next to the roll holder in the toilet.
I took photos of issues but don't think it's right to add them here.

The setting was really nice & quiet, pool was lovely clean.

I realise that after reading most of the reviews & replies that an excuse will be made for these issues, but the reality is if reviewers are saying it's tired then you should perhaps believe them.

This is what this forum is all about, honest info for potential customers. I also am aware that every room is different.

Would I stay again? by myself on a business trip yes, with my wife no.

Hi end of the season but $210 was prob $50 to much.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hello xpatTM, thanks for your comments.
First, let me say that I always respond to reviews, good or otherwise, because I think that if someone takes the trouble to write in then they deserve a response, let me assure you that all comments are taken to heart, good or otherwise, and I don't offer excuses.
In this case, we apologise, of course, for the lapse in houeskeeping that you pointed to, but may I suggest that a better way to deal with this would be to talk to management at the time so that we have the opportunity to correct the deficiency, and can take up the issue with the relevant staff straight away. All that is required is a low key comment and we can act on it, no stress.
The positioning of the TVs in some of the rooms is something that we inherited, but I agree that it isn't ideal, when we are next doing a major overhaul we will rectify it, but it isn't something that can be done in isolation, we are aware of it and have it on the list of things to do, is what I am trying to say.
Overall, we thought your review was quite generous, and we look forward to seeing you again one day, even if only on business.
Oh yes, one more thing, tired/dated whatever you want to call it, some things we can do, some things we can't. We are right now in the process of changing a few things, we hope for the better, and so our clients will be noticing a bit of an uplift in the next few months. Stay tuned.
Regards,