“Bridgefield Guest House, an old original”

Bridgefield Guest House
Ranked #12 of 20 Margaret River B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 17, 2014

To be fair there should be a rating between Average and Very Good. This is one of the old original guest houses in Margaret River. It has been well renovated by the owners and a lot of saved timbers have been used in various areas. The rooms run off a corridor and most have large ensuites with toilet and shower. The linen was clean and the rooms quite spacious, albeit a bit dusty behind the curtains. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the corridor and biscuits. There is a sitting room/reading room which has large comfy chairs and a terrific fire in winter time and a television. The main problem I had was that the front rooms are close to the Bussell Highway which can be very busy at various times of the year and heavy trucks passing through the town in the middle of the night. I am a light sleeper so that did not help. Otherwise, very comfortable and beautiful surroundings. You pretty much look after yourself except the rooms are cleaned every day. There is an attached restaurant, La Scarpetta which does breakfasts and dinner and is quite good. I found dinner a bit on the expensive side for me so the next night we walked just up the road towards the center of town to the Settlers Tavern which had great pub meals and live music. There are a number of other pubs and restaurants within walking distance of Bridgefield....no need to drive the car :).

They have various room prices from $145 to $180 per night with various deals and special packages. Yes, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in another part at the back are probably quieter but the old guest house is probably more inti...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank capelevique

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed at BGH whilst in MR for the Gourmet Escape. We only needed somewhere to shower and sleep and BGH looks reasonable and was a good price.

From the outside, it's a very quaint, traditional looking establishment surrounded by nice greenery. When we arrived, we had to go across the road to check-in; a minor annoyance but nothing more than a few seconds of grumbling. The receptionist was friendly and happy to chat away and answer any questions.

A short trek back over the road and we got to our room (4) which was strangely decorated (one pink wall, one green wall and brown wood for the rest) but I wasn't there for the decor. The bedroom was traditional and cute (reminded of my Grandmother's doona). Through the bedroom, there was a small passage way which led to the toilet and bathroom (separate rooms) and also contained a very small area to hang a few clothes (a suit and 5 dresses were hung but not much more would have fit comfortably).

The toilet was a toilet so nothing much to say there other than the seat cover was cracked to the point whereby it should probbaly be replaced. The bathroom was just a shower and a sink - and a strange vanity unit - with which I have no real issue. The sink had a shelf above it which made washing my face quite hard as you couldn't get too close to the sink and the tap dripped (not to the point of keeping me awake or being annoying) constantly.

With regards breakfast; it is served in the La Scarpetta restaurant and consists of two choices (continental selection or bacon/eggs/tomato/toast with a juice). Disappointingly, coffee is not included in the price - I don't see why they can't include one coffee per person given that it's only $3, it would just make the breakfast seem more value for money from a customer point of view but it wasn't a huge deal.

One big issue was that on our second night, a group of older people sat in the communal area and conversed/laughed very loudly from around 9 until 11/11.30 or so. This wouldn't normally be a problem but the walls are very thin, they were very loud and I was trying to sleep. It's not really an issue with the hotel (other than the paper thin walls), I suppose but it was still a big grieveance for me.

Overall, I was happy with the stay; it was somewhere clean to shower and sleep and out of the way of the crowds on the main drag. I probably wouldn't stay there again because of the noise that can come through the walls but it was a pleasant enough stay and I would happily recommend it as somewhere cheap and pleasant.

Room Tip: Room 4 is bad for noise from the communal area rooms 1-3, 5 & 6 are slightly further away so cou...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SDCowley
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Quaint , old fashioned . Bad lighting ,
leaky taps , unreliable water temperature in shower. Confusion with booking , moved once , then nearly again before kitchen tap was repaired. We were not offered the breakfast that was inclusive of the price...
Expensive for what it was... Would rather pay a bit extra & stay elsewhere .

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Natalie M
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I loved my stay in the Merlot room, which is full of warm wood and a bit apart from other rooms in the Guest House. I enjoyed six nights, where I made use of a semi-private lounge, private patio, and kitchenette. A walk of a couple of blocks took me into a large public forest with many trails. I also easily walked into the town of Margaret River. Staff are super friendly and helpful. Sally, from England, even invited me to join a group headed out for an outdoor movie at the "Cape Mentelle" winery. Beautiful night! I had all of my breakfasts at the Guest House restaurant, which is lovely and has great food. I made use of their adequate laundry room.

Room Tip: Rooms appear to all be unique, Merlot is great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tirebiter8
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Lovely heritage style guesthouse. Stayed in Champagne Room which was cosy and luxurious, with a delicious bottle of sparkling waiting in the fridge! Saved it until the spa bath was warm and bubbly. Plus complementary breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed two nights in the Merlot suite - a double bedroom, ensuite and the private use of the lounge and kitchenette with coffee and biscuits and cooking facilities. Covered parking outside for our motorbike.Included cooked breakfast next door at la Scarpetta and wifi. Great welcome from Sally at reception which is over the road. We dined at La Scarpetta. Excellent food - the beef cheeks were delicious and my husband loved the trippa.
Bridgefield was best accommodation we have had in Western Australia and at $145per night was half the price.
It is an old coaching inn - not a flash modern place - but is warm and quirky just the way we like.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 2 nights over the weekend of the 8th June! The place is beautiful, great character and old world feel, clean, comfy and inviting but our stay was made more special by the lovely night-time manager on duty, having called previously in the week she arranged our booking at short notice and when we arrived had our electric blankets on, beds turned down and the fire in the lounge room roaring! She was hospitable, friendly and did everything she could to make our stay a great one! We had a lovely breakfast in the adjoining restaurant and returned for dinner there on both nights! Food and service were excellent and overall very happy with our time in Margaret river thanks to the lovely staff at bridgefield!

• Stayed: June 2013