“Very Average”

Colonial Brewing Company
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Hand crafted quality ales friendly staff and a great playground and big back yard for the kids to play in.
Perth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Average”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I've had quite a few mixed experiences at Colonial Brewing Company In Margaret River.
First time there myself and my partner were accidentally charged twice for our complete which we realised upon finishing our meal and luckily looking at the receipt.
Fair enough... mistakes happen. We asked for a refund and were greeted by grunts, huffs and puffs as the waitress battled with the Eftpos machine to refund us the money. Sounds petty but it was really unpleasant with little apology for the staff member.

Second bad experience I was down with a friend who was visiting and we went into Colonial at 11am (opening time)
They were kind of just getting things set-up. We said hello and I proceeded to reach into a tray that held the beer menus to grab a couple out. A Manager of the Brewery was cleaning some cutlery and had left a load on the menus so I tried carefully to slide out a couple of menus to take a look at. He saw me struggle and yanked approx 7-10 menus from under the cutlery and just said "there you go mate". Dunno if he was being sarcastic or what but it seemed pretty rude. Later he told us that we have to move from a reserved table if the party turned up without a Please or Thank You involved. Just a basic manners complaint I guess.

My recent experience was this month. I was dubious about showing two friends the brewery but decided to go in for some lunch after the drive down.
We weren't too hungry so asked for a beer paddle, couple of pints and two "Kid's" Fish & Chips.
The staff member said "where's the kids?"
We all laughed and said they were coming later or something and he fell silent.
Realising he was a bit grumpy we asked if that was allowed to order it!
He said "Kids' meals for kid's and Adult's for adult's"
My friend asked if it was illegal to sell us the Kid's meal in a jokingly way trying to bring it back to a normal conversation.
After a few silent minutes and us looking perplexed at one another he put through the Kid's meal (which were more than enough for us) and we were on our way.
It brought down the afternoon and we ended talking about it instead of enjoying the beer/food.
The guy who brought our meals out (a chef I assume) was delightfully cheery though so that made up for it.

Small complaints but 3 bad experiences in 3 visits is enough for me!
I would by no means say avoid Colonial Brewery as the outdoor area is really nice.
I'll just say be prepared to meet some strange staff who don't really seem to enjoy their job (or have a power trip) when you visit. Maybe I've just been unlucky!
The beers are good too!

• Visited March 2014
CMR2004, General Manager at Colonial Brewing Company, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I am deeply concerned with some aspects of your experience at Colonial Brewery and would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your experience. If you would be so kind as to email me richard@colonialbrewingco.com.au with some contact details I will be in touch.

Kind regards

Richard.

Bali
“Loved This Place!”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

What a hidden gem! My boyfriend and a friend of ours heard about this place from a local in town. Not sure what to expect, we were pleasantly surprised to walk into a great place to try amazing beer!

The bartender was accommodating and switched a few tasters around to match our needs :) The grounds are stunning and the beer was scrumptious. I'd go back for sure.

Visited February 2014
Navenby, United Kingdom
“Great beer and awesome sticky wings”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The title says it all ! Wonderful views from the outdoor areas. Take a taxi, or get friend to drive, so you can fully indulge !!

Visited February 2014
Perth
“Average food and staff”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

While I enjoyed my time here, because you overlook a large grassed area and then a lovely dam, the food is pretty average (if anything get a pizza, that was the best) and the staff are a bit too cool for school. It's perfect for kids, with a big playground you can watch them in. My fish and chips weren't very special - the fish was like fish fingers and it was a bit priced for what it was. The kids menu was the same price as the adults!

Visited March 2014
Newcastle, Australia
“Presently surprise”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Great venue, great food (you have to try the tex mex chick wings and bacon pizza)
Cool relaxed vibe.. my only criticism is you can't choose your owm beer for the paddle and they need more of a ciders selection