“A little disappointing in some aspects”

Admiral Stirling Inn
Ranked #14 of 20 Margaret River B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The concept of the Admiral Stirling is great - themed accommodation centred around different ranks of the Navy and it works well with the Admirals quarters having some quite nice fittings. So there is naturally an expectation that these quarters would be of a certain standard - sadly our accommodation was not - it appeared as if it had not been cleaned, the microwave looked like something had exploded in it and the cutlery and plates were dirty. Clearly there is an issue with the cleaners and if they get that right then the place would be much better. No hangars for clothes and overall the cleanliness of the place could have been better. Notwithstanding that the stay was comfortable and we were compensated with a bottle of bubbly. So all in all a litte disappointing but maybe things will improve. I am not saying don't go because it is a good place to say but just be aware of our observations - you pay good money and would expect a certain standard - in this instance it was lacking.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I literally just got back from staying at the admiral inn, in the Captains Quarters for 3 nights and to be honest I didnt want to come back! The inn was such a charming quaint place that I will be recommending it to my family and friends. I have stayed at Bridgefield a few times and this is my first time at the Admiral. The staff are just wonderful and made me feel so welcome. So close to the town and a stones throw and a scenic drive to all the wineries and breweries. I fell in love with Margaret River years ago and now Im considering moving there, I love the feel of the place it is just perfect!

Thank you, I will be seeing you soon! :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had four nights here, which was about right for visiting the area.
It is an usual place, and we were in the 'Boatswain's Quarters', which was tucked away in a corner. The room's location meant that it never got any direct sunlight, and we felt it was slightly damp (in January!), but maybe nobody had been in it for a while.
The bathroom extractor didn't work, but was replaced immediately when reported.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
It's in a quiet part of Margaret River, so there was no noise, and it suited us well.
The parking could be a bit tight for some people, but we had no trouble.
We would stay here again, if we returned to Margaret River.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with direct sunlight
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ColinBut
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Having stayed at the Governor's Quarters for 3 nights, here are our mixed reviews:

The hits:
- The lady at the reception, pleasant and a great help in suggesting the various places to visit (can be daunting for a first-time visitor at MR!)
- The novelty of staying in an upstairs cabin with an attic
- Lots of space for the 5 of us in a unit which can accommodate up to 8 persons
- Good bath facilities with strong shower
- Pleasantly surprised with free WiFi which is easy to connect and quick
- Good location and within walking distance to the shops and eating places in town

The misses:
- DUST, DUST, AND MORE DUST!!! The place is in dire need of a thorough cleaning. We see dust on surfaces, cobwebs, dirty window panes..... which quickly wore down the novelty of staying in such a unique place
- The cooking utensils and cutlery seem like random pieces thrown together haphazardly - 2 teaspoons, 1 small fork, different designs of mugs, plates, bowls... you get the picture
- The extremely narrow path leading to the Governor's Quarters makes it nerve-wrecking to negotiate a big car through
- The lack of check in facilities on site can be confusing (reception counter at the Bridgefield Guest House next door)

On the balance of things, it is still a lovely place to stay..... had to resist the urge to spring-clean on my vacation though =)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank travelbugPJ
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed at the Admiral Stirling for 3 nights immediately after New Year. We booked the adjoining cabins 1 & 2 which are independent double rooms separated by a shared bathroom - this was a great option for my dad and I travelling together. The total rate (both cabins) was $160/night which I think is pretty exceptional in this location during absolute peak holiday time...I couldn't find anything else close to this price in town at the time of booking.

I really liked the ambiance of this property. The rooms were simple but welcoming with comfortable beds. The communal kitchen area was great and I really enjoyed having some downtime sitting out in the alfresco area which was generally always quiet. As other reviews have noted...better attention could be paid to housekeeping. I wouldn't describe the room as dirty by any means but there was plenty of dust around and the shower could do with a bit of a scrub. The communal kitchen could also do with a bit more hands on housekeeping...it was always clean looking but the overflowing bin would go unemptied, the full dishwasher would not be switched on overnight etc.

The biggest potential issue here is noise. I would say there is virtually no noise insulation between rooms in the main building at least. On 2 nights I was kept awake by the bellowing voice of the lady in the room next door who I think was probably having a hands free Skype session with the grand kids back home! I could actually hear both sides of the conversation!

I would definitely stay again...but I'd bring my ear plugs! It would be great to see the management address the housekeeping issues too as I think this property is really close to being a great option at this price point.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bazza76
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed there for one night with my husband and daughter. It was our worst experience ever. The noise from the room above us and the room next to ours went on the whole night. The noise next door was due to a group of english backpackers sitting on the verandah chatting and singing. Went out to ask them politely to keep the noise down twice but they responded rudely, instead saying they were going to make more noise. We didn't know there is a night manager we could call after the close of reception at 5pm but it would not have made any difference anyway, because the receptionist told us "there is nothing they can do, it's just noise" when we complained to her the next day. The room upstairs seemed to be occupied by a family with 2-3 children. They stomped around in their room the whole night. Due to the wooden structure of the building, we experienced vibrations every a few seconds for hours until about 10:30 pm when it started to quieten down. The hotel has a nice wooden look but unfortunately it was the flimsy wooden structure and the kind of people staying there makes it unsuitable for people like us who just want to have a nice shower and good night's sleep in order to be refreshed for an early start for the next day. Although the experience was dreadful and I don't think we would stay there ever again I should be fair to mention that the staff were nice, especially the maintenance manager who apologied to us again and again when we checked out.

Room Tip: Never choose rooms on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lin2004
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We took the family (me, wife and 2 kids 4 and 2) down to Margaret River to experience the region.

We rented the Captain's Quarters for 6 nights.

The good:
- Staff were ultra friendly and helpful
- The room was well equipped with a little kitchen (stove, bar sized fridge, crockery, little bbq)
- Good working air conditioning
- Beds were comfortable (not including the pull out couch)
- Shared area (kitchen and covered bbq area) were great and useful
- Walking distance to shops and markets in Margaret River
- Internet is free and worked very well. It may be worse in other rooms as the internet point was just outside our room.

The bad:
- The room really needed a good clean. The lack of cleanliness in certain areas was pretty bad.

That said I really liked this place and I would probably try to stay here again if I heard that the rooms were being cleaned better. It really is a quaint place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank timmycanfly