“Perfect Family Getaway”

Margaret River Hideaway & Farmstay
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Though I have used Tripadvisor on many occasions, I have never written a review up until now. Thought this place was worth it. We are a family with 3 kids aged 9, 7 and 3 who have just returned from a 4 night stay in a Superior 3 bedroom cottage (a 2 bedroom cottage would have been fine for us, but there were none available at the time I booked). What a fantastic stay! This place is just perfect, especially with little ones as there is so much for them to do. It was great to go back to the cottage after being out and about all day and not be crammed up in a hotel room/apartment with the kids running around in circles driving you mad. They were able to wonder off and burn off their energy anywhere on the property whilst we sat on the balcony with a wine admiring the location. They especially liked rounding up the sheep, catching yabbies, Patsy the Kangaroo, the feeding sessions and playing with other kids. The cottage facilities were fantastic. All the linen, cutlery, garbage bags etc were all there. Julian (the owner/manager) says it is a 'home away from home' and I couldn't agree more. It is a tranquil setting as there are only 8 cottages and they are spaced a good distance apart. No need to worry about 'noisy' neighbours. Basically, I can't rate this place highly enough - can't wait to go back some day.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed January 7, 2012

Perfect for my 4 year old. Next time I would go with friends as you can easily walk from house to house. Very peaceful and relaxing. The hour long feeding of animals is fantastic, owner Julian is charming. Great weekend away. i recommend driving back to Perth the alternative route through Harvey and up, a much nicer way to go.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We are a family of 3 (husband, me and our 3 yr old) and we stayed 4 nights at the Standard bedroom cottage. Julian was always friendly, and very good with children. This was a great stay - possibly one of the nicest farmstays in Margaret River (We checked out some of the competition while we were there). It combines all adult creature comforts with farmstay fun. My son grew very fond of Patsy the kangaroo, and we adored the random peacocks and guinea fowl wandering around the place. We had a resident peacock who liked to sit in our porch. We will definitely be back - maybe in winter when there are no flies!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank speeddolphin
Reviewed December 10, 2011

3 of us (my husband and I, and our 10 yr old son) stayed for 4 nights at the Superior 2 bedroom cottage. It cost slightly more than the Standard 2 bedroom or the Studio which are able to fit us in, we chose the Superior for comfort and more space. We’re happy we made that decision. It was really worth it! We love the cottage the very second when we stepped foot into it. It was what we see on the website. Nice, clean, spacious, new, modern and fully-equipped. My son was hopping and jumping with joy in the house when Julian left after giving us a short briefing on the surroundings. As in the earlier reviews, Julian rarely smiles. But my son was amused by what he said sometimes. I agree that he takes pride in his property and maintained it well. On our first day, we realised that the bathroom door lock (is something like a small button to press to lock the door) was spoilt. A cotton bud was temporary used to replace it. We were not bothered by it at all and were actually amused and had a good laugh (thought that it was very creative to use a cotton bud). But on the second day when we were back from our day excursion, it was repaired. We participated in the animal feedings twice during our 4 nights stay and we enjoyed it. On the last day, my son was very sad to leave and requested to go back again for our next trip. It was our first Farmstay and definitely a memorable one.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Cho880
Reviewed December 5, 2011

My host in Denmark treated me to 1 night stay at MR Hideaway & Farmstay for my 27th Birthday. We had such a wonderful and enjoyable stay, the cottage was clean, tidy and comfortable with all the supplies you need, including fresh farm eggs for breakfast.

Julian was very helpful and happy to showcase his property. I thoroughly enjoyed feeding and interacting with the animals; it was such a great experience and highly recommend it.

Thank you for sharing a part of your paradise and keep up the good work.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2011

My wife and I, with our 23 month old absolutely loved our 2 night stay at MR Hideaway. It is located 5 mins away from MR town, and the ample space between the cottages on the 'farm' was fabulous for city dwellers like ourselves.

We were greeted at 3pm by Julian who showed us to our Studio Cottage (smallest one). We knew right away that we have made the right choice to stay here. He shared that 2 Singapore families couldn't make it because of the QF grounding.

For the past month, I was searching for farms to stay in W.A. Most of the rooms look dated until we chanced upon MR Hideaway at their website. The rooms are very new. Looking at the numerous positive comments by fellow Singaporeans on Tripadvisor, who are usually fussy but wants good value. We decided on this place!

The studio is already big by our standards, and I wonder aloud why would anybody stay in a hotel when they can easily get this. The rooms are modern, clean and very comfortable. It has got a stove, microwave, fridge, cutleries and cookware, very easy if you self-cater.

They are still in the midst of finishing 3 more cottages. I believe making it a total of 8 cottages in a really huge compound.

Even though it is not a working farm (not many farmstays are anyway), it was still quite an experience to get up close with the animals. Animal feeding was fun even for the adults. This is probably the only time you get to see the other guests in their cottages faraway !

There is so much space for our active son to run around and play safely.

Julian isn't the smiley sort. But he does have got a heart of gold when he introduced our son to Patsy, his adopted joey. He also help correct the amount that we had already paid as it was FOC for our 23-month old.

On the day of departure, I had a flat battery, and I approached Julian for help. Without any hesitation, he and his 3 gung-ho ladies, helped push the akwardly parked car out of the porch and jump-start my car from his van.

He is passionate about his place and showing the guest all the wonderful animals.

If we are coming back to the MR region, we are definitely coming back here again !

Room Tip: Go to their website to see the different cottages.