“Totally awesome! Fantastic place.”

Margaret River Hideaway & Farmstay
Singapore, Singapore
“Totally awesome! Fantastic place.”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Stayed in their 3 bedroom with 4 children ... Even before arrival, Julian sent us maps and information about the place, where to go, what's friendly for children, and how to get to the place without relying on the GPS. As we were informed... GPS didn't work quite as well, and I was so glad that specific directions were given. The cabin was really nice. A nice retreat that was nicely maintained. Julian mentioned that he was upgrading the premises but by bit, and you can tell he was doing a great job. The girls had so much fun herding the sheeps, feeding the animals, and even picking up sticks for our own fireplace in the cabin. The location was fantastic, as it was near almost all the attractions, and Julian did his personal recommendations on what we should cover and what not to... in the time we had. We were really glad to have stayed 5 nights, as we went during winter and the day ended early ... and by 5 ish, the sun went down. So.. it was just nice (in fact, maybe a bit short) to experience every single bit of the Margaret River. I read about issues about the Hideaway not having enough animals, but you know what, this is a casual farmstay with peacocks, a kangaroo (really tame one), lots of sheeps, lamas, ducks, chickens.... and lots more... so we shouldn't be expecting a zoo. Julian was insightful and thought the girls a lot about the animals. They even got rides on the tractor, and the scrambler. We enjoyed ourselves so much, and we'll definitely be back again. Maybe this time round, for 7 nights. :) Thank you Julian and keep growing the place like you would love it to be. We can definitely feel the love.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
peppybrook, Owner at Margaret River Hideaway & Farmstay, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
Thank you for your detailed analysis of our services Caroline.

I'm delighted that you found so much to enjoy and am particularly pleased with your kind words regarding our Manager's hospitality and passion.

We've put a great deal of effort into improving this property since taking ownership and really enjoy sharing it with appreciative travellers.

We certainly look forward to you returning (with family and friends) in the not too distant future.
Again, my sincere thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Brian Spitteler

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Now, let me preface this by saying that I'm a business owner with a heavy emphasis on real customer interaction & service. Now, having said this I can completely understand that problems arise and can be perceived. The problem only arises when these types of perceptions aren't handled well or courteously. After all, there should always be mutual respect, something which I felt definitely was not extended and for that, I am sorry to the owner/manager but have to give my account of the sad events that transpired.

Within 5 minutes of arriving (at 7.30pm), these are a few of the events that occured:
1. We got a knock on the door. Didn't know who it was because we weren't expecting anything else.
2. Opened the door, and a man who we had never met, pushed the door and barged past us. There were 3 of us who arrived and 2 of our friends who were sleeping on the couch.
3. The man started yelling at us shouting all types of obscenities (including [-] this, [-] that) and telling us that he "has been watching us" and that we "have not been respecting his property" especially when he "has so much debt". He didn't tell us but it seemed that he was the owner or the manager.
4. It quickly became apparent to us what he was so upset about - when we arrived for our friend's birthday weekend, we had found our two mates sleeping so we were jumping up and down on them trying to wake them up and threw a cork or two at them from across the room. One side of the house had a lot of glass and the lights were on so this man seemed to think that we were not respecting his property. I'll be the first to say that this was fine but the manner in which he did this was completely unacceptable.
5. Regardless of the obscenities, the violation of privacy and personal space, I decided that I would appreciate his situation and tried to talk to him about the problem. I said I'm sorry, extended my hand to shake his hand and this was the clincher - he said "i'm not shaking your hand".
6. He then proceeded to tell us to "leave" the premises straight away. We then tried to clarify what he was actually upset about and he said it was "because we were disrespecting his property". We said sorry again and pointed at the cork on the floor. He saw it, looked a bit embarrassed and then said that we could stay.
7. He left pretty soon after that.

There were other things like: broken handles on the toilet (which he got upset that we called him to tell him about it), couldn't get our gas changed for the bbq (we had to buzz and call him a few times) and many other things but the first 5 minutes pretty much sums up our experience with the hygiene problems, rudeness, inhospitable nature of the management, the irrationality amongst other problems.

If the property were ever to fall into the hands of a new owner - perhaps someone who understands what true customer service and personal relations is - then I believe that this could be at the very least, an average stay but with these issues, all I can say is I would never go back.

Very sad, disappointing experience!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
10 Thank VDentist
Tranquillity is a hallmark of a stay at Margaret River Hideaway and our guests nominate this as a major reason for visiting. Unfortunately, in this instance, we had no opportunity to discourage you and your 4 male friends from booking. Other reports on Trip Advisor (and numerous complimentary comments in our Guest Books) are a clear indication that we fully understand the meaning of "hospitality," but that doesn't mean that we will tolerate unsociable behaviour. It seems you've still to learn that you will gain respect only when you respect others and their property. Maybe, when you've gained some maturity, we might permit you to return.

Brian Spitteler
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Ideally located at a stone throw from MR, this cosy and quiet place is ideal for a familly stay, to breath some fresh eucalyptus smell and to reconnect with nature and to show some animals to your kids. Listen to the owner which gave us very good advices in finding the good restaurants from the region. Lovelly place and people, we'll definitelly try to come back in a couple of years.

Room Tip: In 8 months time there will be 2 new cottages...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Perth
Reviewed April 12, 2011

What a fantastic place to escape the hussle and bussle of the city. With nothing but trees and animals to view and from your courtyard. Nothing is too much trouble for the manager. How nice to get away to a place where true hospitality and customer service shines through. We thoroughly enjoyed our escape and did not want to come home. Not to mention the dogs who had the time of their lives. Would not hesitate to recommend it to others and will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dorset
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I was looking for somewhere to take my 2 yr old in Margaret river that was a bit different form the average beachside villa. A farmstay sounded good and I researched th option. I fund the hideaway and the professional website looked like the best of the bunch. I was not disappointed. It was a great find. The owner has only taken over the place in the last 2 years and has (by the sounds of it) made many vast improvements. The cottage we stayed in (basic) was clean, spacious and very comfortable. We enjoyed lighting the fire every night and the bedrooms were very comfy looking out onto the woodland and small adventure playground. We all enjoyed the animals every morning....Julian had a great way with all the guests, but especially the kids, and had lots of different animals. There were baby kangaroos, highland cattle, sheep, alpacas, peacocks, hens, geese, emus and chickens. There were several small touches that made a difference, i.e fresh eggs for breakfast, breakfast provided on first morning, and great hospitality. I would recommend this place if a farmstay is what you are looking for. The only reason I have marked down "value for money" is that it was not a "cheap option", but then nowhere in Margaret River is if you are looking for quality and comfort. Although the hideaway was probably slightly more expensive than other farmstays in the area, it was worth it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2011

My family and I, along with a friend and her daughter, spent four wonderful days and nights at M.R. Hideaway. It was such a great experience for the three kids - ages 4-6 - and the adults too! Watching the kids feed the animals every morning was an unforgettable highlight, as were the late afternoons when we were asked to corral the sheep and alpacas to their pen. Sipping wine on the patio while the kangaroos hopped about and the kids played with sticks - there is something in it for everyone! Julian was great too - very accomodating and good with the children. Do not hesitate to book this place - fabulous!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Our experience at Margaret River Hideway was fantastic. We loved feeding the animals. Nothing beats bottle feeding a baby kangaroo and who knew that it tickles your hand when you feed ducks. The cottage we had was lovely and my favourite part was sitting on the front porch just watching the kids run, play and come in for dinner suitably dirty. Coming from a big city our kids rarely get the freedom to do that.

One morning I woke up to hear a tapping on the window, I rolled over to find myself looking straight into the eyes of the peacock that the kids had named Princel. The animals were all great fun. I miss having an alpaca in my yard.

It was a trip we are never going to forget. I am already trying to figure out when we can get back there.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family