“Great restaurant.”

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Really popular, fun restaurant. Always busy. Good food and good service. We have been there a few times and will be back.

MRWino, Owner at Winos, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thanks Michelle

I'm glad you enjoy what we do. All of my staff really do their level best to provide a unique and enjoyable experience here at Wino's. I am really proud of what we have achieved over 13 years.

I am also glad I get to go out on a positive note. Wino's will go on, and the staff will do their best to continue what we are renowned for going forward.

As a parting note, I hope all of you bloggers out there consider applying the same level of public scrutiny to yourselves and your own work/business/job, as you feel free to measure out to hospitality industry.

It's been a trip. Adios

Wino's

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We chose this restaurant to celebrate my 50th Birthday, what a let down!! We had crab pate, pickled herring, esperance scallops (2 each to be exact!!), Manjimup gnocchi.. Terrible, bland and a complete waste of money. The menu is difficult, plastered over 4 or 5 boards, the selection is poor and we found we just chose because we had no other choice. I did enquire if I could have the steak cooked the way I LIKED it, only to be told the chef refuses to cook it any other way than medium rare!! Surely if I'm paying for it, it's my choice how I like it cooked?? We did think of leaving but realised the chance of getting into another restaurant was remote at that time, so decided to give Wino's a go!! The service was lack-lustre, the food, poor, bland and scarce, we paid $123 for a few crackers and pate, 2 scallops each, 1 herring and a couple of gluggy gnocchi.. Never again!! Wine was great though!! New to Margaret River area and certainly will never visit Wino's again!! Very disappointing.

MRWino, Owner at Winos, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Uncle!!

I throw in the towel. I am beaten. It has taken 13 years of being a human dart board to do it, but you have won. I have tried my personal best to always deliver a unique Margaret River experience that is grounded in integrity in all the we do. From the sourcing of the freshest local ingredients, to our depth of wine list that spans 30 years of wine in Margaret River, we have only sought to provide something that we feel makes life worth living.

But the personal cost of doing so is too high. The investment of not just money, but your soul, too consuming. So it is with grace that I thank all who have supported us over our 13 year history. For those who seek to publicly defame and tear down, I honestly hope they never have to contend with the same level of public scrutiny on their jobs and lives as they feel free to measure out to others.

It has been a real trip. I move on knowing in my heart that Wino's meant something, and that in the end, it was the thrill of seeing countless customers simply enjoy them selves, make friends, propose to their partners, celebrate weddings birthdays and anniversaries, or generally just feel better about the world, that made it all worth while.

Cheers

Ex-owner

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went there after hearing recommendations from a few different people about this restaurant - for the prices we were disappointed. I know that restaurants in general in Oz are expensive but for the money we paid here the food was below our expectations. Since food is such a personal thing I am not trying to say that the food was bad or of low quality - I just found it too complicated and unnecessarily so. They could be a lot better if they perhaps simplfy their menu. We ordered a crab meat pate which felt like a thick mayonaise paste. The spatchcock was good but again - I think its a pretty simple chicken dish made to be fancy unecessarily. Lastly we ordered lamb - didnt like the way it was done. But to be fair to the chef - we are not used to lamb being served as a beef steak would be - slightly pinkish. Overall it's a good restaurant but perhaps the tone of food there didnt match our pallette. Having said that I will say that the service is great - wait staff/manager all are excellent.

MRWino, Owner at Winos, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Hey there

I would have to say this is one of the better average reviews we have received. Thanks for being so thoughtful in your comments and taking the time to explain your thoughts to us. We will certainly take on your comments and seek to make sure we hit the level of product and service that has allowed us to be a part of the Margaret River landscape for so long.

I trust others who want to offer some criticism are as constructive as you.

Regards

Reviewed April 27, 2013

The setting, ambience and staff at this restaurant were great. The food was also good, but we only had appetizers as, regrettably, we did not like the wine. The wine selection at "Winos" is limited and with only a few Margaret River wines available by the glass. These tasted like they had been open too long. We expected an enjoyable evening and to have dinner at this restaurant, but left early and dined elsewhere.

MRWino, Owner at Winos, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Hi there

Honestly, this would have to be the most disappointing comment I have ever read about Wino's.

As a winemaker and wine enthusiast, the reason I opened Wino’s 13 years ago, enjoying the wine is at the heart of what we do. The food, service etc, is all there to facilitate enjoyment of wine. Hell, that’s why I called the place Wino’s in the first place. So I am gutted that we did not deliver that to you.

We carry over 700 wines on the list, with the predominant region of course being Margaret River. Our by the glass list features at least a Chardonnay, a varietal Semillon or Sauvignon Blanc, a Sem/Sauv blend, a Cabernet Sauvignon, and a Cabernet Merlot from Margaret River as these are the back bone of the region does well. These wines can change daily depending on what we open first. We even open and pour Museum wines that are 10+ years old. Other than that, for the last month we have featured a Zinfandel and Vermentino from Margret River as well. We only keep an open bottle for 2 days and it is stored under inert gas.

I can’t see how quantity of Margaret River wines on show would be an issue, but if in anyway the quality was compromised in some way, Then I can only humbly apologize as it is not what we strive to deliver.

I do hope that we will see you back to the region again so that we can help facilitate you to fully appreciate the wonderful wines that Margaret River has on offer.

Thanks

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We wandered down to Wino's after it had been suggested by quite a few locals that we had spoken to. It was a Wednesday night and fairly quiet but the service was very friendly and prompt. The share plates were reasonably priced and we had three of the smaller dishes and followed this with the half duck. The crab pate, cauliflower fritters and pork rillette were all well presented and full of flavour, we could possibly have stopped there but I'm glad we didn't as the duck was melt in the mouth and full of flavour. We shared a doughnut dessert that was delicious and paid less for the food for the two of us than we each would have paid at the over priced winery restaurants in the area.
The wine specials by the glass were also well priced with the Cab Sav that we had, being the same price as the cellar door that we had visited that day.
If you want a good experience, give the pretentious winery restaurants a miss and visit this and some of the other local eateries in the main street.

MRWino, Owner at Winos, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Hey there.

Cheers for the kind words. We are happy that you enjoyed our style of venue. From the bar to the full dining experience, our main goal is to have our guests enjoy them selves like you did. You obvious got into the whole shared cuisine thing and it's always worth asking what sneaky wine we might have open behind the bar as you never know when we've had a tasting of some great wines, and are will to share a glass or 2 for a special price.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment here and we hope to see you back sometime in the future.

Cheers