“Wonderful, Memorable,Tour with an Amazing Tour Guide.”

Margaret River Discovery Co. Tours
Ranked #2 of 49 Tours in Margaret River
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Margaret River's #1 rated wine and adventure tours for "people who don't do tours" with Western Australian Guide of the Year - Sean Blocksidge. Get behind the tourist facade, away from the masses and discover people and places you won't find on your own. The No 1 Margaret River guide/tour on Tripadvisor since 2008. No minivans, no crowds. Personalised touring at it's best.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We have just returned from five glorious weeks in Oz where our son and his wife live. They live in Sydney but met with us in Perth a couple of days after we arrived and took us to the Margaret River for the weekend. A tour had been arranged by them and what a fantastic day out we had with Sean Blacksidge who has a great, humerous, personality and he did everything he could to make the day extra special for us all.
I never thought at my age you would have ever got me in a Canoe but it was amazing and such fun. I have to say it was easy for me with my husband and Sean in our Canoe, all I did was to relax and sit on the still, calm river listening to the birds in the warm sunshine, 'Absolute Heaven'
We visited a lovely spot by a river too where Sean gave us bread and different types of Honey to try.
Lunch was fantastic, Sean had been told that myself and our daughter-in law were both on a Gluten Free Diet and so along with all the other lovely food he brought to the Winery there was a great selection of Gluten Free bread, crackers and dips/pate's,The wine was excellant too.
The afternoon guided walk along the cliffs was breathtaking, and we took many, many photos.
Sean knew that we still had a day left in Margaret River and he told us about a lovely beach [Hamlyn Beach] where we could see stingrays close to the shore. We got some great photos and he also told us about a really good place to get a Fish and Chip supper near to a quiet river.
I know this is one wonderful trip we will never forget, thanks to Sean.

1  Thank worzelle

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We signed up for the wine tasting tour - "Best of the Best" rather than the Discovery tour which others have commented on. Sean runs these two tours on alternate days. The "Best of the Best" is a small 6 (or less) person tour in a Range Rover and covers three wineries, two boutique establishments (one of which is solely open to Sean's customers) and one large scale producer in Cape Mentelle, where we had privileged behind the scenes access to the working of the winery, capped with a unique wine and food matching lunch which both gave special information on winemaking at a large first class winery, and how to make the best combinations of food and wine. If you want unique insights, and access to special boutique wineries, yet still taste roughly 20 of the best wines of the area, then this for you. But if you want to visit as many wineries as possible and "tick off" the number of wines you taste, then look elsewhere.
And finally the day ended with a trip out to the coast in the Leeuwin National Park, to see the spectacular coastline, dodging Kangaroos on the way. A fitting end to the day -sitting in the sun amongst spectacular scenery.
All of this is without mentioning Sean himself, who was an ideal host and guide, offering particular insights to the wine, the history and make-up of the region, and the key individuals.
We were so pleased we chose this tour!

1  Thank Rvwr2012
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We signed up for the Discovery Tour itinerary where we toured the Margaret River area all day and we had a blast! The tour is limited to 6 people which is the capacity of Sean's Land Rover. A family of 4 joined us, and the day was fantastic. The canoe ride on Margaret River was excellent and brought back great memories of canoeing the rivers and the creeks of Florida in the US.

Later we went for a late morning coffee at the beach. Spectacular views. We also enjoyed a private wine tour and private gourmet lunch -- yes, with amazing wines -- under this most spectacular tree. The afternoon closed with a brief high on the cape to cape trail. Other reviewers have pointed out this same experience.

To be honest, everything was so good, we had a hard time deciding the best part!

As background, we debated whether to go on an all day winery tour or this one, and we made the right choice. For our first visit to the area, this tour provided us a great orientation as well as amazing suggestions on what to do the next day.

Not on this tour was our visit to Hamlin Bay to see the stingrays. We discussed with Sean and he said this was a must see so we went. Definitely go to Hamlin Bay on a side trip to see the cute and friendly stingrays!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have to say that the main reason my husband and I took this tour was because of the the fab reviews on TripAdvisor. The second reason - the clincher - was I convinced my husband with the company's tagline: For people who don't do tours. And we were not disappointed. From the moment the 4-wheel drive veered off- road, I thought Oh Yea. I would say the whole day was like a fine wine, with all the different characteristics to make it amazing. From canoeing and hiking at the Margaret River, to coffee at the beach, to al fresco dining at an exclusive by-appointment-only winery, to off roading and hiking near the sea. All sprinkled with science, history and humor. And did I mention wine tasting? Pure gold. Even my "I don't do tours husband" gave it two thumbs up.

1  Thank Suzanne V
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a fantastic tour of the Margaret River including canoeing, short hike on the Cape Track and an great visit and lunch at local boutique winery. We brought our 10 year old daughter on the tour and Sean made sure she was fully engaged the whole day and we all thoroughly enjoyed the day and gave us a much better perspective on the Margaret River region.