“Good for Kalgoorlie”

Quality Inn Railway Motel
Reviewed June 7, 2013

There should be a rating between Average & Very Good, tis hotel would have received it. I used to stay here a lot, but have been staying at the Tower Hotel lately. The hotel is maybe 20 years old & still in good condition. It is close enough to walk to the centre of town. The rooms are well appointed, mine had a self-contained kitchen, but for 2 days I wasn't doing any cooking. The bed was comfortable, but the shower was awful. The jets were so fine it hurt. On the second day I ended up taking the rose off & showering under the stream, not water wise at all. I had a ground floor unit, but the stairs looked quite steep.

The restaurant is OK, I had the Lamb Rump, which was a bit on the tough side, but tasty enough to make me finish it.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs ask for a downstairs room. Also get a room on the car park, the rooms...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Graham B
RailwayMotel, Manager at Quality Inn Railway Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Thankyou for your review. Our rooms have double glazed windows and thick solid doors, we have between three and four trains a day go through the Railway Station, the latest being the Indian Pacific at roughly 11pm at night (twice a week). Unless your an extremely light sleeper I would expect a sound nights rest for everyone in our hotel.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Comfortable spacious accommodation and good restaurant food (Carriages Restaurant). Plenty of living space, plenty of sleeping areas, good cooking facilities or tea making and snack facilities.
We selected this motel from the web sites and as suggested by Westrail staff and from a friend who had stayed at the motel on a previous occasion and highly rated it,

Room Tip: We chose the two storey apartment, which had lots of space and was warm & comfortable for the wi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Nick M

Thankyou for your review. Your kind words are appreciated.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had a three night stay. Nice enough room, bed very comfortable. We were upgraded upon booking although I have no idea what they actually meant in terms of our accommodation. We paid $154/night and I consider that expensive. The room wasn't particularly well designed as a huge spa took up far too much space in the bedroom, thus making access to the shower/toilet room pretty difficult should your partner be at the hand basin or fridge/tea/coffee area. There wasn't anywhere much to hang wet towels if you were more than one person in the room (our room had sleeping for three so assume that others would have to endure wet towels). Good to have two separate chairs to sit in other than lying on the bed to read or watch tv. Missed having a microwave (all the other accommodation on this trip had one).

Breakfast was quite good although there wasn't much choice for continental at $16 (I would have preferred to cook my porridge in the room!). My husband has the full cooked breakfast and he was pretty happy with the food.

Great location if you are using the train (station opposite). Also very good walking distance to main streets. We were visiting family in northern section of Kalgoorlie and it is very easy to drive around Kalgoorlie.

Service was good however disappointed there was no free wifi in room (available in lobby only). Free wifi is essential to today's traveller and it is time accommodation places made this available. There was also a guest laundry and this is a great service for travellers. Again, I wish all hotels would provide guest laundries - keeping clean clothes when travelling is always difficult.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor unless you want to drag your bags upstairs (two storey). Although near the rai...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rhonda S

Thankyou for your review. Your comments and feedback are appreciated. Our rooms and facilities are 3.5 - 4star and are benchmarked against the local competition in regards to price and features. I can tell you that none of our competition offer Free WIFI in all the rooms.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I paid $167 a night for a small room (the description said "Queen", but "small double" would be more appropriate). I discovered during my three-night stay that others in similar accommodation were paying $40 a night less than I was and getting breakfast thrown in! As if that weren't bad enough, when I checked-in, the room was dirty (white dust covered the clothes hangers and the interior of the wardrobe) the bathroom door refused to shut properly and stay shut and there was nowhere to hang damp towels (or anything else, for that matter). The bathroom was designed for midgets and the hand-basin and bathroom cabinet were actually outside the bathroom, intruding into the room!
Free wi-fi was supposedly included, but there was no signal in my room, nor in my friends' room, which was less than 50m from Reception.
When I complained, I was told the place was full, so I was charged the top rate, the room had just been renovated and hadn't been cleaned properly (like, that was my fault!) and they "were having trouble" with the wi-fi network (like, that's my problem, too). When I mentioned the top rate, I received a haughty response about how the rates go up when it's full, despite the fact that I'd booked two weeks before I arrived and there was no mention of discounts for pensioners or seniors on the website. I was chastised for not complaining sooner, giving them an opportunity to fix things, but, if the hotel was full, what were they going to do? Move me out of the room while someone came in and fixed it up? Move me to another property? I don't think so. Besides, we had a full program mapped out for our two-days stay.
So, if you're looking at this joint as a possibility for a few days break in Kalgoorlie -- don't. One thing - and only one thing - I can recommend is the fish and chips in the Carriages Restaurant inside the hotel. The battered fish and chips (no fancy name or description on the menu) is the best I've tasted. Light, crispy batter, perfectly cooked fish, great chips and a manageable quantity of them - quality rather than quantity. But stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Graeme G
RailwayMotel, Manager at Quality Inn Railway Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Hi Graeme. Thank you for your feedback. Please remember our reception staff are here 24 hours a day to help you with any issues you may have. We also have maintenance and cleaning staff on call 24 hours a day to fix any problems that may arise. We take all guest complaints and feedback very seriously. If you feel you were treated rudely by staff during your stay I would urge you to contact management so those issues could be rectified. Kind Regards. Kris - Assistant Manager.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed three nights. It's a two-storey, clean hotel with spacy rooms and air conditioning. Well equipped, and you get tea and coffee. Remember to put used towels on the floor when you want clean ones.Friendly staff. PC with Internet connection is available for free in the reception. A minus for charging 5 dollars a day for an adapter.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor and we liked that. If you have heavy luggage you might not like the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed for three nights at the Railway motel, it was very conveniently located just across the road from the Railway station which was great as we arrived at 9pm. the motel was nice and clean with tea and coffee facilities provided and a snack and drink selection. it is also just around the corner from Hannan Street, (the main drag with the famous Exchange & Palace bars) breakfast in the morning was good, but you pay extra for a cooked breakfast.
there were only two minor issues that i had during my stay, the shower had a terrible hot water system (Room 76) with the water constantly changing between scorching hot to freezing cold every 20 seconds, and the door was a bit of a struggle to open from the inside which was mostly difficult for my elderly grandmother. Overall the hotel was nice, with friendly staff and convenient location.

Room Tip: as far as i could tell, rooms weren't built with a view, but some rooms were located near the po...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We were pleased with our overnight stay at the Railway from the time we booked in. The staff where so friendly and very efficient.We where pleasantly surprised with our spa room with plenty of space to move around and nice decor.Room felt fresh and clean.Perhaps the only negative was the height of the shower head,a little low than normal. Had dinner and breakfast in restaurant and was most enjoyable and reasonable.Would stay again.

Room Tip: deluxe spa room has parking in front of your room and are on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple