“Absolutely disgusting!”
Review of The African Reef

The African Reef
“Absolutely disgusting!”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Firstly I booked ahead and told the reception I would be checking in late, so they would leave the key under the mat of the room I was staying in. Rocked up at 10pm to find no key. Went to reception and no one was there! Called after hours number and was spoken to very rudely! Finally got my key and got into the room around 10.45pm... Exhausted, I jumped onto the bed and nearly broke my back it was so hard and uncomfortable. Then I discovered hair in the shower and bathroom sink, cobwebs in the corners of the room and dust everywhere! I was so disgusted with the room that I ended up laying the 2 seats down in my station wagon and went to sleep. When I went to book out, they also tried to charge me a $30 fee for calling after hours!! I was absolutely shocked! I would never EVER go back there and I hope nobody ever does and this place is condemed!

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank amynash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2011

This place is old and run down and dirty. The place is slowly falling down in total disrepair and no one seem remotely interested. The room are small and dark,the furnishing very old and dated and very very dirty. The fittings, plumbing and windows are all totally past their use by date, sliding doors are bent and held shut by wood strips jammed into the frame with fly screens torn or non existent. The bathrooms are disgusting, dirty, cracked tiles with little or no ventilation. Air conditioning is bordering on useless and only in one room. Anything resembling service is non existant. The bedding is very poor quality and looks very old. There were no coat hangers, doors hanging off on the wardrobes, no clocks -no anything. I would not recommend staying here if it was the only accommodation in town - I am amazed it is allowed to trade in such a state, My verdict, Utter rubbish!

Room Tip: DO not go here -drive straight on to the next one
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank traveller2079

Travelers are raving about these Geraldton hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Dark rooms, expensive for WA, no charms at all, we spent an horrible night and regretted our stop. Don't go to this place...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tristan_Geneva
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2010

OMG - what a disappointment! I've been staying here, on business trips, for over two years. I have to say that the restaurant was the thing that kept me coming back. What a let-down, when I went for dinner; the restaurant has changed hands, and the menu has gone south big-time. Burgers are now first on the menu, followed by Entrees which were ALL SEAFOOD. The mains selection is abysmal, unless of course you're into steaks. There is no pasta on the menu! There's no Asian worth talking about. The barramundi I had was worse than you'd get in a fish & chip shop. To cap it off, I had a cooked breakfast this morning and the bacon was off!
Now that I've started to wind up, I have to say the place is in need of a lot of attention. I stayed three nights, and the same long, dark hair was lying in the shower cubicle for the whole time. The showers must have been designed for "verticall-challenged" individuals, as I had to bend my knees to wet my face and head. The kitchen sink was crawling with ants. I opened the kettle and a big, bloody spider shot from inside it. The roadway around the place really suited my 4WD. I'll be looking elsewhere from now on.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank Abberlad
Sydney
Reviewed September 14, 2010

At AUD135 per night you would expect more than this. Yes the views are OK, but rooms 61 and 62 views interrupted by the main complex and are noisy as the refrigeration plant opposite kicks in frequently. But they wer roomy and comfortable enough.
Rooms are old but clean with tea/coffee and a kettle, bar fridge and a reasonably comfortable bed. Good shower tho! And iron and ironing board if you are a fussy traveller. Friendly staff. The aircon unit on the balcony looks like it shouldn't work as it is nearly rusted out. The continental breakfast is cereal, tinned fruit, some juice and on the 2 days we stayed white toast only as "the wholemeal hadn't arrived". For the money it should have been much much better and had it been the rating would have improved.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pud01
Perth WA
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Beautiful sea views from grounds and solid structured rooms(we slept though storm). Outdated, dark, dinghy rooms wouldn't want to spend anytime at all in them. Very basic, not worth the money. Continental breakfast limited...very basic.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank greggs4
London
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We had a so-called deluxe room which was scruffy and not clean, especially the bathroom. On the balcony there was a rotting air con unit, which was still in service. The stairs up to the room looked as if they were about to come apart. The fridge only had one shelf which was broken, and also bar on the door shelf had been broken so we could not keep anything in there. The floor was only hoovered once in our three day stay. This was "deluxe" remember - they ought to look up the word. No-one in their right mind would use the dirty looking swimming pool or the dirty and untidy laundry room. The views from the restaurant were lovely and the food fine, just don't stay there. The verandah from the restaurant back to the accommodation was never swept and was full of cigarette butts, spilled liquids and general detritus. The area seemed to be a smoking area for staff who were completely unfazed that you were trying to pass through there. Never ever go there. It gives Geraldton a bad name.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple