“Noisy, but friendly,clean & good location.”
Review of Ocean Centre Hotel

Ocean Centre Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Geraldton
Kalbarri, Western Australia, Australia
“Noisy, but friendly,clean & good location.”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My husband & I stayed here 2 nights ago. $220 night for Queen room with smokers balcony overlooking ocean. Reception staff were very friendly & helpful. The room was very clean, BUT... no ashtray for smokers balcony, the plastic water jug (to fill kettle) had its handle completely snapped off) & was sitting in drawer as is. 5 sugar satchets only (we got 1 cuppa each that night), went over the road next morning & paid for a take-away coffee, because we didn't have enough milk or sugar for a morning cuppa! The toilet constantly made gurgling noises, but worst of all... all we could hear all night was the guy in the next room snoring SO LOUDLY we couldn't sleep. Hubby had to bang loudly on the wall many times. Overall - staff were friendly, room was clean, view was great BUT attention to smaller details was lacking. We expected a little bit more for the price. And certainly didn't expect to be kept up all night hearing the guy next door through the walls ! Also, as we have roof racks on our 4WD we couldn't fit in their secure car park so had to park our vehicle on the street. Great location though, easy walk to shops & cafes/restaurants.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view Room, views are great. We couldn't fit our 4WD in their secure parking so had...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tracey D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed at the Ocean Centre Hotel this last weekend, 21 and 22 April, the location is great and walking distance to most pubs and restaurants. Accomodation in Geraldton is tight and we booked a standard room which overlooked the carpark on the basement level. The toilet ran through and we fixed that ourselves - after reporting it and no response. The shower was burning one second then freezing the next and the beds were very very hard...there wasnt much else to complain about really....the charge back from surrounding restuarants was really handy and we got a parking spot both nights....which apparently can sometimes be an issue.

I recommend it....but its not five star and doesnt pretend to be...and who goes somewhere to sit in your hotel room the whole time....give it a go...but keep your expectations around the level you pay.... :)

Room Tip: Ask for a Ocean View room....
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
North Beach, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stayed at the Ocean Centre 3 weeks ago for a local government function. Our first room was below the car park (that is looking up under cars on the street) - not the best view. The room, whilst clean, was a little shabby and dated. As it was my birthday I decided to ask for an upgrade and up we went to a Harbour view room. It was so much better, fantastic view of Geraldtons gorgeous harbour with all mod cons including wall mounted flat screen tv, lovely fresh decor, big bathroom and a nespresso coffee machine (these coffee machines as so good!). Highly recommend that you ask for a room with a view. Great access to Marine terrace, shopping,cafes and restaurants. Go Geraldton! finally turning into a real city :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Two nights ago I stayed at the Bunbury Mantra in a deluxe suite. $180 per night ($20 cheaper than my room at this hotel) and in a totally different league. The good news about the OCH is that the women at the reception desk were very friendly and helpful. The bed is very comfortable and the rooms large.
Now the brickbats.
Everything you have read is true - the rooms smell, the TVs are old and show local stations (NO FOXTEL - really?!), the furniture is old, mismatched and damaged (and or dirty).
You pay for the internet! When will the majority of Australian hotels supply free, wireless internet? For the business traveller, this is not an option, it is a necessity. Likewise, ironing your crisp white shirt for business meetings with an old, inefficient and scorched iron is not acceptable.
I came back from dinner at Skeetas (please read my review) and realised that the windows overlooking the water (what I paid a premium for) are not treated for privacy. So instead of being able to open my curtains and look out over the lights on the water, I had to keep the curtains closed. A little thing, but the little things are always the most important things to customers.
This is my last business trip to Geraldton; my recommendation to my colleagues will be to look elsewhere. For what you get, this is an expensive option.
At best a two, two and a half star experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Tapp0

Travelers are raving about these Geraldton hotels

Reviewed March 11, 2012

I booked a package deal over the phone, the lady at the other end was nice but didn't say much about the deal and spoke very fast so even when I asked her to repeat herself I didn't really get the lot... ok, so i thought I'll just ask when I get there.

From the outside it looks really nice, lobby a bit dated but ok.... then it just went downhill from there. Our room wasn't really small, but it smelled musty.... then the first thing that strikes me as I look around the room is a mysterious door that is locked behind the desk?

To their defence I have to say there was a nice size lcd screen on the wall with plenty of movies and the linen was just fab! Looove the sheets! But that is where it ended...

Cords on the floor, badly repaired water leak in the ceiling, the door!, mold in the shower, soap dish holder in the shower hanging on an angle, hole in the blanket, hairs behind the toilet, no toilet brush?, dead fly on the window ledge, curtains hard to pull to the side and if you do... dont bet on looking out because the windows are so dirty I just closed them again...

Then there is the reverse cycle that is supposed to cool your room... after 4 hours we turned it off because it was still 28 degrees in the room (AC set on 18!! ) and it was so noisy we couldn't sleep, like having an airplane in your ear.

The next morning we went for breakfast as I asked for to be included in the price only to get told when we got there that it was an express only... BUT! A thank you to the staff that gave us a cooked one anyway after some arguing that I was merely informed of "breakfast", not if it was cooked or not... but if you do go there, save your money and go across the road to Skeetas instead and get a decent brekkie because it was nothing special and the juice was just watery.

Then there was the bed... queen size bed, the two of us.. yes, we do like to cuddle, but I do not want to slide and roll into the middle of the bed when trying to sleep just because the bed has seen better days... it was probably the worst bed I have ever encountered in a hotel or hostel ever. Reminded me of an old sofa bed where you keep sliding into the middle.

Another thing was that it was "free drink included" in the package... but when we got there it was only a house wine, tap beer or soda. We were given a voucher that obviously had been used and reused because it was a bit grotty.

Also, this is probably the first hotel in the world where I have asked for ice and been told by the staff that "There is a service station up the road, you can get ice there..."
I could only but laugh :D

Jeez, what an experience, and I can only say never again... next time I'll pay half the price and stay somewhere else where I get the same room and service.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else....
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RoseAnna74
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I have previously stayed at this hotel on business trips and have had some dramas before, (smelly rooms and noise due to the locals using the adjacent playground as their battleground at night ie screaming and abuse, yelling etc) but due to its central location i have persisted - not anymore I'm afraid, JUST SAY NO. I was staying for 3 days and reported a foul smell coming from my drains in the bathroom on the 1st afternoon. The first night I was told the maintenance man had gone home and they were fully booked - so bad luick to me I suppose?? The second day I was advised the problem had been fixed but unfortunately again there was the foul smell and of course it was afternoon so nothing could be done. It continued into the next day and I checked out - not being offered any explanations or compensation so sorry Ocean Centre, not good enough and you have lost a regular customer! Not that it seems to bother them as they now have a steady stream of mining workers that seem to be in regular attendance and that probably pays the bills very nicely thanks - but NO THANKS for a very average stay

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank maacs09
Reviewed November 18, 2011

The hotel is booked out and the bar closes at 8.30. I am sure I was in the janitors room in was so dark and the noise from the air con motors. It is clean and a great location if you get the right room.

• Stayed November 2011