“Worst accommodation I have ever come across”

Batavia Coast Caravan Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Geraldton
Batavia Coast Caravan Park
Reviewed April 22, 2013

As a person who works all across WA I have stayed in a lot of different types of accommodation, I was horrified as we walked into the chalet we had booked for the week. The rooms had a damp mouldy smell and were about the size of a sardine can. The rude staff should be ashamed of how they treated us and our concerns as paying customers. Clearly from previous reviews I am not the only person to believe this, the manager should stop trying to worm their way out of the valid complaints and begin to fix what in my opinion is the most disgusting excuse for a business I have ever encountered.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Customer1993
BatCoastCVanPark, Person who handled situation at Batavia Coast Caravan Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Firstly I would like to say thank you for your review. Reviews allow us to better improve our service to customers. Constructive criticism is always welcomed.

Now in response to your review I would like to point out the following

1) When you initially booked the accommodation, it was after you viewed our website and chose which unit you wanted to stay in. This was a unit with no toilet and shower and no linen supplied, of which you were fully aware. Upon arrival, it is my understanding you decided that you wanted something with these things supplied, so you upgraded to a chalet.

2) You upgraded to a chalet. You then came to the office stating that the accommodation was not up to your standard and you wanted a refund. At this point you stated that the reason you had booked with us was because the place you normally stayed was unavailable at the time. May I point out that you chose us over 4 other caravan parks in Geraldton.

3) I advised that it was our policy not to give refunds purely because you had changed your mind. I also pointed out that our booking policy was everywhere, ie. our website, our emails, a notice in the office. You claimed you where unaware of our booking policy. To which the owner who took your booking, later advised me that this was not strictly true.

4) When I asked you what was actually wrong with the accommodation, the response was that there was no shower and toilet, to which I pointed out that the new unit had this. It was then said that the new unit was too small, to which you were offered a bigger unit at no extra charge, this you refused and demanded a refund.

5) At no point during the process did you say anything about any room having a 'damp mouldy smell', as previously stated, the only two complaints you voiced were that the first room had no toilet and shower and that the second room was too small.

6) To say I should 'stop trying to worm my way out of valid complaints' is inappropriate considering the 2 complaints you voiced, 1 was through your own misjudgement however we accommodated you by moving you to a suitable unit, and the other I attempted to fix, however you had no interest.
How is offering a solution to the problem 'worming my way out of valid complaints'?

7) The end result was I kept a cancellation fee to cover staff costs and you were refunded the balance.

8) It is not I that was rude, nor is it I that should be ashamed of myself. In the end I gladly gave a refund as I did not want to subject the staff to the hostilities and rudeness that you displayed in the front office.

9) For someone who has 'worked all over Australia and stayed in a lot of different accommodation', I would have expected better, and I would have expected honesty. Being that you are representing the company you work for, it is the companies reputation you are putting on the line.

Shame on you!

There are newer reviews for Batavia Coast Caravan Park

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Upon the inspection of their website, we were looking forward to a weekend away with our dog. We were excited to hear that this place was dog friendly only to find that dogs were to be on leads at all times, not allowed to enter cabins at all and the "unleashed" area had 2 dingoes in it that had a history of attacking dogs.
As we picked up the key we were reminded once again that the dog was not to be in the cabin, this was emphasized as the staff's cat was on the office bench!
The cabins were in terrible order with an air-con unit that couldn't cool down an area the size of a small sedan. The shower head could not stand up on it's own. Our Ipods had a bigger screen then the 80's style TV.
The communal cooking area, however, seemed good.
Only stayed 1 night and couldn't get a refund on the 2nd so we just left. Never again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rockys_Roadtrip
BatCoastCVanPark, Owner at Batavia Coast Caravan Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear Rocky's_Roadtrip, Firstly, thank you for your review and I am sorry you were not happy with your stay. To clarify a few issues, I have the following response.

1) Our website clearly states that dogs are not permitted inside accommodation units on the Accommodations listing page, the page you reviewed the unit you selected, and whilst it does not specifically state that they must be kept on a lead at all times, it does say 'Your pets have a designated area where they can run, play and be free of their usual restraints.' on the facilities page, so I am at a loss as to why this became an issue upon arrival. For us not to have these rules, we would be in violation of the caravan and camping grounds regulations which I have posted below for your perusal.

CARAVAN PARKS AND CAMPING GROUNDS REGULATIONS 1997 - REG 25

25 . Control of animals
(1) A person is not to bring an animal into a facility, or allow an animal under his or her control to stay there, except with the approval of the license holder of the facility.

(2) A person who owns, or has the care or control of, a dog is to ensure that while in the facility the dog is either —
(a) on a leash under the control of a person; or
(b) enclosed in a caravan, or a fenced or enclosed area of a site sufficient to contain the dog.

(3) A person is not to allow an animal under his or her control to become or cause a nuisance to any other person at a facility.

(4) A person is not to bring any animal into an on‑site caravan or allow any animal under his or her control to remain in an on‑site caravan.

(5) This regulation, other than sub regulation (3), does not apply in respect of a guide dog or hearing dog accompanying its owner.

Penalty: $1 000.

2) As for our off leash area containing 2 dingo's that had a history of attacking, I think this may be more hear say than what you actually experienced/saw. Unfortunately we did have a dog attack on the premises a couple of years ago however this has been an isolated case. Chinese whispers have a habit of becoming untruths the more they circulate. I can assure you that we do not have 2 dingo's on the premises and never have done to the best of my knowledge.

3) It is with regret that we are required to remind patrons that animals are not permitted inside the onsite accommodation, however some would like to ignore the rules. As for a cat being on the front counter, is all can say is, I apologize for that. I myself had only ever seen the cat upstairs or on the balcony. Animals are not permitted in any shared area of the premises and rightly so.

4) Unfortunately you did not raise your concerns with the unit to any member of staff that I am aware of, which means no one could rectify the problems. Had you have notified a member of staff, I would expect that the matters would have been dealt with promptly where possible and practical.

5) I am glad that you did find 1 positive with the park, that being the campers kitchen, and would like to say thank you for your honest comment.

6) Regarding your wish for your money back, I am of the understanding that one of you had to go back to work early, there was no mention of the cabin not being suitable, you were only unhappy with not being able to take the dogs inside and that they had to be on a lead. Our refund policy clearly states no refunds given for early departures due to circumstances beyond our control. It surprises me that you even stayed one night given your statement of the cabin, showering couldn't have been pleasant at all.

Again, I do apologize that your stay did not meet your standards and can only hope that if you ever had to stay with us again, that you would find it more suitable.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed in the Batavia coast caravan park twice in the last 6 months and i found the staff excellent,the people who live in the park made us most welcome and enjoyed the BBQ that was put on by the park to raise money for various good causes,Danny made us at home,Chirpy Jane who always had a smile and the new girl [sorry foregot her name] just as friendly and always a happy face,we have lived and worked in caravan parks for the last 12 years and i can tell you that most of the disruptions are caused by its not mine why should i care travelers,great place and will be back

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
BatCoastCVanPark, Owner at Batavia Coast Caravan Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear Richard B, a sincere thank you for such a review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff were helpful and had a smile for you :) unfortunately we no longer have the fund raising nights and of course have had changes in staff, however I do hope should you return that you will find our new team just as good, if not better.

safe travels and best wishes

Reviewed January 13, 2012

Was woken in the wee hours with a COCKROACHE yes a COCKROACHE crawling on me. I rang reception and I was abused for ringing at that time. My other complaint is that you aren't allowed to use the pool after dark. Now, we are talking geraldton in January, after a long road trip from Perth all we wanted was a quick dip, no no no. We were scolded like little children. Worst place I have ever stayed and I have checked in elsewhere for tonight. Gotta see the manager about a refund, hmmm, this will be interesting!!

• Stayed: January 2012
6  Thank babefromdownunder
BatCoastCVanPark, Manager at Batavia Coast Caravan Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2012

Thank you for your review, however as the manager of the park I would like to illuminate a few points that you neglected to mention.

1) You rang the after-hours staff at around 1.20am that morning, approximately 40 mins after your ordeal. Upon hearing your distress, you were immediately offered another cabin. You refused the offer and chose to stay in the cabin you were in.

2) You were not abused by anyone. A background person to the phone conversation swore when he stated what time it was. He did not swear at you nor abuse you for ringing at that time. I have apologised for his bad choice of wording.

3) You were not scolded like little children when told the pool was closed. I am the person who informed you of this. I do apologise for not going into depth about the reasons why the pool was closed, however it was 9.30pm. We have ample signage and information handed out on check-in that tells what time the pool is usable, yet you chose to ignore these. I do believe there was 4 sentences spoken that evening before i apoligised again for the pool being closed.
As ludicrous as I myself find it, yes we are required to close the swimming pool once it gets dark. This is not by choice and it does not matter how hot it is. The WA health department has written the regulations for public swimming pools, I would suggest you take your complaint up with them as I am unable to do anything about this one sorry.

5) This park is set in a semi rural area, we are prone to having cockroaches, ants, grasshoppers, mice and snakes at different times through each year, make their way into our units and whilst we do everything humanly possible to prevent this, sometimes they still get in.

I sincerely apologise for your stay being tainted by a cockroach, and I am sorry that you could not accept a solution to the problem.

I do find it interesting that you have chosen to stay at a place that has a number of negative reviews on this website about ants, bugs and un-cleanliness, yet you claimed that these reviews were about my caravan park. You stated that you should have listened to these reviews prior to booking with us here.

What happened ?
It appears I am missing something!

Karen Appelbee

Reviewed July 14, 2011

The pictures on the website are not real, the place is run down, dirty, the playground is all rusted and not safe. There was no hot showers, and the customer service was disgusting!!! When the so called "manager" was told about no hot showers all I got was abuse and swearing and I was told to leave! Imagine paying over $40 a night and not getting a hot shower, the kids sand pit smelled like a urinal, and our site flooded after a light rain. We will never go back, Thanks for ruining our holiday!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Aussiewanderer76

Thank you for your review. I am only sorry that i did not come across it sooner. I would like to respond to a number of your complaints about this park.

1) The pictures on the website are real. They were taken aproximately 3 years ago just at the end of winter.
2) The park is not run down. The grass unfortunately dies yearly due to lack of water through restrictions and minimal rain fall.
3) If you mean that the park is not clean when you say that it is dirty, then this is not correct. We have health inspectors come through yearly and randomly. If the park was 'dirty' as you claim then we would recieve a work order or would be shut down. This has not happened.
4) The playground is not unsafe. Again if this were correct then we would recieve a work order to have it fixed within 14 days. In fact we recieved our first work order on the playground aproximately 2 weeks ago and have complied by removing one of the items that was in the vacinity.
5) I am gathering from memory, records and the statements made here, that you stayed with us when we had 2 out of our 3 hotwater systems breakdown. Guests and tenants were notified of this by signage and we explained that we were waiting for parts to come from the Eastern States. Our hands were tied and I do sincerely apologise for the disruption in our hot water supply. Others at the same time managed a hot shower however there was many that didn't.
6) It concerns me that you found my staff to have 'disgusting' customer service and again I can only apologise for this. I would think that those staff members have since moved on so I am unable to verify your statements.
7) Being the manager of the park, I do not recall abusing or swearing at anyone who advised me that we had no hot water, nor do I recall telling anybody to leave. If this was the case then why did you stay? Had I have told you to leave in the manner in which I am sensing you are describing, then I would not have allowed you to stay. I do not evict people lightly and when I do evict them, I enforce that they go.
8) I was made aware of the smell of the sand pit aproximately 1 week after your stay. Another complaint I must apologise for, but would also like to advise that the sand and ground were dealt with within 24 hours, and a clean truck load of sand delivered within 48 hours. I can only conclude that animals were urinating in it and as I do not play in it, wrongly I rely on clients to advise me if there is a problem.

You will be pleased to know that at the above time, a complaint was put in to the health authorities about many of the issues you mentioned above. They did come out to do an inspection, and the claims were unfounded. They believed that we could do no more where it came to the hot water, other than what we had already done. It was not a deliberate act to deprive our clients of hot water. The rust on playground equipment was noted, however it was not believed to be of a concern and we were advised to repaint it as it looked unsightly. The flooding of the sites was discussed at great length and it was concluded that given the amount of rain that came down in the short space of time, there was not a lot that could be done however we are looking at raising our site beds.

I am sorry your holiday was marred by the circumstances that surrounded your time of travel and can only hope that you have 'better luck next time'

Karen Appelbee