“Very good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Vat 2

Vat 2
Ranked #31 of 138 Restaurants in Bunbury
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Melbourne, Australia
“Very good food”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went with 3 others and all meals were very good. The staff were pleasant although they seemed to be pushed as service was a little slow.

My steak was above average and my colleague reported that the crab linguine was also good.

Visited November 2012

Bunbury, Australia
“Sensational !!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Sitting and overlooking a protected beach and marina, this restaurant is just a great experience. Great food , good prices and good service. Vat 2 sets a benchmark in Bunbury. We are very lucky to have this place in town, and the hands on proprietor, Jenny Spencer, is a treasure. Give this place a try, probably the best in town!!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Peter B
Sydney, Australia
2,826 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,820 helpful votes
“Good location, nice atmosphere, huge portions”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is not a great restaurant nor fine dining but what it does, it does well.
Possibly better for lunch than dinner, it is very relaxing on a sunny day with a pleasing water aspect.
Lynn had a nasi goreng for lunch and the quality was excellent and the serving huge.
That night, rather than driving aimlessly or eating at a golf course, we returned and again the servings were huge.
As I'd had such a huge lunch, I asked for 2 entrees but they misunderstood my needs and turned my "tortilla" entree into the mexican plate as a main.
If I'd only had this, all would have been fine but I could only eat half of it.
It is obviously good for functions and they seem to be booked out for all of the summer season.

perth
“Terrible!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Ordered a medium rare 300g steak...unfortunately the steak was so thin (think Minute Steak) that it was chewy and horribly over cooked. I strongly suspect that there is no real chef cooking in their kitchen. The whole meal was very basic ie...potatoes tossed with butter and horseraddish sauce interestingly garnished with a whole bunch of broccolini dumped on top!
Advice...you'd be better off staying at home and cooking your own Bbq!

14 Thank PerthWanderer
Bunbury, Australia
“Service, please”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Having just moved back to Bunbury, I have developed a habit of heading to the Vat each Sunday morning for breakfast. The previous five times I have been have all been fine, coffee is pretty average but the views make up for it. However, last Sunday we received the worst service I have ever been giver. EVER. We came in around 10am, later than usual, and obviously the staff were on cruise control. We were served by a very new and inexpreianced waitress, which is fine, but obviously none of the managers or supervisors who were wandering around the place had any interest in making sure she was properly trained.

We ordered four breakfasts and four coffees, all at the same time. However, within less than five minutes one of the breakfasts were delivered to the table, by the manager no less. Instead of asking whether anyone else was having breakfast he simply got cutlery for the one person, and strolled off. He didn't ask whether we were waiting on coffees. He was more worried about strolling around apprearing important that worrying about the lowly customers who were obviously an inconveniance to his day. Around 10 minutes later two out of four burnt coffees arrived. I had a perfect view of the barista as she joked around with other staff, including the manager, made a coffee for another staff member, then went to the bathroom. Where were our coffees?? After a further 10 minutes, during which time the manager and a supervisor strolled past our table several times, my partner went up to complain.

The owner, who I feel very sorry for, immediately came to his service, enquiring with the kitchen as to where the three remaining meals and two remaining coffees were. She then came to explain that our waitress was very new and made some mistakes. I have no problem with this, I work in the industry, however there is NO EXCUSE for lazy managers and supervisors to not train new staff. I think the owner, who was very polite and apologetic, would do well to have a serious re-think about a manager who would put one meal down on a table of four with no questions or concerns. I have watched this manager repeatedly ignore customers in the previous five weeks I have been coming for breakfast.

I think it's such a shame that one manager ruins a restaurant, but they do. I know it must be hard to find staff in Bunbury but it would be worth the hassle to replace this lazy man. Needless to say we won't be going back, I will sadly forsake the amazing view and quite decent food for somewhere that cares about customer service.

5 Thank kjayde87