“Superb tasty food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Indian
Perth, Australia
“Superb tasty food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was our second visit. We had the Chicken Madras and the Beef Vindaloo, asking for both 'Indian hot'. We also had two servings of cheese naan and Kashmiri rice.

The meat dishes were fantastic. The Chicken Madras in particular was SOOO full of flavour -- I think it will become one of the dishes we always ask for at this restaurant in future. The beef vindaloo was also good, but sour/vinegary in comparison to the smooth heat of the chicken. It was still great.

The rice is quite gluggy, but that's OK -- it still absorbs all those lovely sauces without any problem. If I could buy the sauces, I would!

Just a tad over $60 for two -- 2 main dishes at $21 each, 2 servings of rice at ~$5 each, two servings of naan at ~$5 each.

We'll be back to have more of that Chicken Madras (making sure we ask for 'Indian hot')!

• Visited July 2013

Bunbury, Australia
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

The food in this restaurant is second to none. The service is amazing. Thanks to the Head waiter, Lucky, our meals were delivered in a timely manner and were exactly what we ordered. Compliments to the chefs, waiters and management of this restaurant for giving Bunbury an authentic Indian eating experience to be remembered. I will definitely be recommending this to my family, friends and anyone else that needs to know.

• Visited May 2013
Perth, Australia
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We tried this third Indian Restaurant in Bunbury the other night. As I was doing a bit of a comparison, I ordered as dishes as close as possible to the dishes we'd had at the other two -- a hot chicken dish, beef vindaloo, kashmiri rice, and two serves of cheese naan ($62 total for two of us; no corkage charge either).

The meat dishes were great, thought the chicken could've had more 'heat' -- the server suggested we ask for 'Indian hot' next time ;-). The cheese naan was excellent.

But the rice was a surprise. Every other Kashmiri-style rice I've had in an Indian restaurant was been loose separate grains, typically with a rich yellow/orange colouring, a sprinkling of sultanas/raisins and perhaps some cardamon pods, nuts etc. The one at the Shahi Dawat (which means 'royal invitation') was quite gluggy, and had largish chunks of apple and pineapple (as wella s sultanas) in it. And there was a subtle flavour of coconut throughout (by my reckoning, Kashmir is nowhere near the ocean and is not tropical, so the coconut and pineapple were a bit of a surprise). It tasted nice, though. It was just not what I was expecting when I ordered Kashmiri rice.

The complimentary pappadums (two) were quite oily, which was also not expected. And the plum dipping sauce that came with them was super watery and thin -- there's no way you could dip into it without making a mess. There was also a much thicker and more 'dippable' mint and yoghurt dipping sauce.

Service was unobtrusive. Decor was quite lush, though the seats are a little hard (and the air con vent needs a darned good clean!). Good separation between tables. Good sized tables for sharing food.

One complaint -- we arrived early, not long after they'd opened for evening service. But our table and one other did not have wine glasses on it. My husband grabbed a couple of glasses from another table. As the restaurant had had no other customers before we arrived, I'd suspect that these two tables were forgotten when they'd set up after the previous service.

The guy at the door in Indian garb and a very fine turban added a nice touch, opening the door for all customers, and being a focal point for anyone walking or driving down Victoria Street looking for somewhere to eat at night. In fact, he was the reason we even knew this restaurant existed, as it's hard to identify when you're driving past. We'd seen the turbaned guy a couple of weeks back and realised that Bunbury had yet another Indian restaurant (I'm not complaining -- after just one for so long, it's nice to have a choice of three now!)

• Visited May 2013
Donnybrook, Australia
“A Great Taste”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

The food was fantastic, service (although a little slow) was good and the setting was nice and roomy.
Even though the restaurant was full, it was not overcrowded and you were not packed in like sardines. Conversation was not drowned out which was great. Will definitely go back.

• Visited March 2013
Bunbury, Australia
“Loooooooooooong wait!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I just came back from Bunbury with my partner and I won't be able to review the food of this new Indian restaurant in town but the service...

A backpacker was opening the door for us (nice!), then the waiter seemed to think they were too busy to add 2 people in a less than half full restaurant but he found a table for us.
He brought water and the menu instantly, then the story starts... We look at the menu and talk, 10min later we are ready to order. 10 more minutes waiting, we start to see some people that came in at the same time as us leaving complaining they were waiting too long.
5min later(already 25min in the restaurant) the waiter comes at our table asking if we were ready to order. Starving and ready since 15min, of course we said a big "YES" and he left at the back. We thought he was going to bring a pen and a paper but he started to take the order of another table who arrived AFTER us. Then he took the order of another table.
Anyway after waiting 10 more minutes (35 in total) we just left and headed to the White Elephant which was delicious and quick.

I believe they still haven't noticed we left... Anyway I just hope for them they will improve on the service really quickly otherwise they can close their business soon!
I still consider to try them again in a few month to see if they improved on this point because I would love to try their food (knowing the Indian Ocean is disappointing too) as Bunbury needs a good Indian restaurant!

At this stage, I would not recommend as you would just waste your time but if we get food there one day I may consider to change this review!

• Visited February 2013