“Terrible.”

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Warrnambool
Katherine, Australia
“Terrible.”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was booked quickly for a close friends funeral. I had to call 3 times to see about getting an early check in so we'd have time to freshen up before going to his viewing after a 3 hr drive. Made it so difficult.
I wanted to make a change to our reservation but they made us pay for both nights even though the email stated that if there was any changes the first night would be fully charged (which we presumed meant we could cancel the second night).
Basically, no compassion whatsoever, we paid over $2000 for 2 dodgy rooms, neither had fly screens so there were flies everywhere inside. The room smelt and the bathroom was disgusting.

Hint - wedge something in the air conditioner slot so you can leave the air con running when you're out.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank kat s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. Check in was fast and basically just exchange of creditcard versus room keys. The rooms were ok sized but in desperate need of a fresh up. Common kitchen/playroom was desertaed (for good reasons).
It was the first motel on our Australia Trip we did not feel welcome. Worse, we felt like a burden or a bag of cash. Using the WiFi they offer via a local provider we couldn't get connected and had to contact the provider. We asked first at the reception and the wife told us to wait for her husband. After another hour we went back and her husband was still out so she called him only to get the info, that I had to call the provider myself. Then I asked how because there is no phone in the room. She send me to the next mall!! Why I couldn't use her phone? I don't know but this was the kind of service we got throughout our stay.For AUD90 a night I expect way more. I wouldn't pay more than AUD40 a night after our experience here. And it's not even close to the town.
So a lot of money for no service, hardly any info on town or dining options, no phone (but 2 yellow pages in the room) and the train track in the back.
Sadly we couldn't cancel otherwise we would have.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Warrnambool hotels

Crete
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I find myself disagreeing with others who have given this motel very low ratings...

My wife and I were on an unplanned visit to the Great Ocean Road and Warrnambool was our choice for the first night.

We found the Southern Right Motor Inn on-line and gave them a ring. A friendly young man advised us that he had a room available at just $95 and we accepted it sight unseen.

On our arrival, this same young man was quite happy to offer advice as to where to eat etc etc.

The room itself was very clean with crisp, white bedlinen inviting us to a restful night.

It is true that there were some minor repairs that should have been done (window catches broken, a little touch-up on the paintwork here and there) but on the whole we were well satisfied to find such accommodation in the height of the season.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John M
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 7, 2013

They have a sign that says "inspection will impress" and have a good RACV rating, but that must have been given in 1980! We stayed 2 nights, and I must admit, there was not much else available in Warrnambool at the time. Perhaps there is a reason that this place was the last to fill. You would have thought perhaps that road noise would be a problem, but that was the least of the worries. Each morning we were woken with 2 barking dogs at 6.15. You expect noise from people leaving etc, but we had an adjoining door to another room, and you could hear absolutely everything in the next room. The rooms were said to be 'refurbished', and the bathroom definitely was, although as others had said, there was no hand towel... but no-where to hang it anyway, the bathroom is very small. I found the room initially clean, but there was a smell on first entry. We were there 2 nights, so I would have expected at least that our used cups and milk would have been replaced, but no. I have never struck such a hard bed as this one. The second night we resorted to folding a rug double under the top half of the bed to get a tiny bit of 'softness'. Perhaps the highlight of the motel was that the small TV had Austar and a DVD player!

Room Tip: Make sure it is a room at the back of the complex I guess, away from the barking dogs. And make sur...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

They may advertise themselves as the first accommodation on the Melbourne side, but I will be driving a little more next time to not experience such conditions again.

I made the mistake of accepting 50% above rack rate for a high season room. - Paid over $150 for a room I wouldn't pay more then $80 normally.

The crockery looks like it has never been cleaned - hair in one cup and crusty dried up coffee at the bottom of the other.

Windows were left open when we arrived, could not lock them successfully so all our luggage went back into the car whenever we left the room for any long time.

Room smelled quite bad after we closed the aforementioned windows - that explains why they were left open.

Bathroom floor not cleaned, had to shower in my flip-flops so as not to make skin contact with the tiles.

No free WiFi - huge per hour charges that remind me of using internet cafe's back in the early 00's

I've stayed in many sub 3-star locations but have never had such a disturbing visit, I can accept that the experience isn't going to be perfect, but you do expect the room to be at least cleaned.

I didn't bother to go back to reception and ask for the room to be serviced, the kid at the desk made me think I had finally found the real life Fawlty Towers experience right here in Australia!

Never again!

Room Tip: Keep driving along the road to another property!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Art S
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We booked 2 rooms here during the Christmas holiday and what an experience.
The rooms themselves are a absolute disgrace really dirty and stunk of urine, cobwebs everywhere hasn't been cleaned or properly maintained in ages, the beds and mattresses are awful the smell knocked you sick.
Complained to reception they said there'd clean it again but it made no difference, still looked and smelt like a complete hovel.
This place wasn't cheap either $140 per night for one room, don't know which blind fool gave them three stars but they want sacking.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Markmypen
rotherham,england
Reviewed December 8, 2012

On arriving we got a warm welcome from the lady that checked us in,it went down hill from there on.Driving to our room things looked abit drab and run down but no matter we were not staying outside.We had room 16 and on entering we found no coat hangers,no hand towels,no microwave and no free wi-fi,plenty of old & new cobwebs with spiders trying to catch their dinners.On going back to reception I asked for and got some coat hangers but why have to ask for them,we did not ask about the hand towels because my wife said if they had any they would be in the room.They was a microwave and a cooker in a communal area but the cooker broken and you would have had to clean everything before using them.There was wi-fi but at a charge of $6 an hour or $12 for a 24 hour period.The towels were only fit to wipe our childrens wet dogs with.The room servicing was very hit and miss as the carpet was never cleaned,bin in bathroom only emptied once in 4 days.And finally there was a sign saying 'Inspection Will Impress' well frankly my dear we were not.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple