“disappointing ..... room to improve” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pickled Pig

Pickled Pig
Ranked #2 of 110 Restaurants in Warrnambool
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sydney, Australia
“disappointing ..... room to improve”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

What a disappointing experience. After reading the good reviews we were looking forward to an enjoyable dinner; but it was a big letdown. We spent a week holidaying on the Great Ocean Road and this was the only bad experience. We had made a reservation and there were 4 tables free when we arrived but strangely we were seated near the front door with a draft on my back every time it was opened. After 40 minutes a waitress appeared to take our order and at my request we were able to be relocated to one of the other vacant tables.

The staff seemed stressed, rushed and not coping too well. We had to wait 40 minutes to hear about the specials on the menu, and then listened to a high speed disinterested run through and for our order to be taken.

Unfortunately I was asked by a waitress how my meal was, probably because I left most of it, and I answered truthfully. I simply said that the lamb was cold when it arrived and everything had too much salt in it. I wish I had not answered her because she was clearly displeased and annoyed with me and I did want to hear “that no one else had complained or that other people from the city tell them: it is the best meal they have ever had!” We asked for the bill and the waitress returned saying she had spoken to the owner and that we would not have to pay for our mains. Her agitated reaction and manner escalated what was already a disappointing experience and we paid in cash as we were eager to escape such an unpleasant situation. We were not looking for a free meal, simply a quality meal and professional service.

It was obvious that our entrée and mains had been previously cooked and reheated, and mine had been left sitting for some time before it was served. Also a liberal amount of salt was used in the cooking. The plate of chips with tomatoes and mayonnaise dribbled over it was pretty basic as a side dish. The presentation was ordinary. My husband actually said if we had cooked this at home for guests and it turned out like this we would have been disappointed.

We are used to dinning out on a frequent basis in both city and regional restaurants in Australia and overseas and enjoy quality food and service; sadly it did not happen here but luckily the rest of our week on the Great Ocean Road was excellent.

Note to the restaurant: Please don't bother to try to justify such a disappointing experience or leave a patronizing message and make this even more upsetting. We want to forget it ASAP

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank annagram09
PickledPig, Owner at Pickled Pig, responded to this review, February 5, 2015
hello, my names Brenton, im the new owner of the pickled pig. I know you wish to forget about your dinning experience at the pickled pig and with that I hope you would come give the new pickled pig a chance, a lot has changed, things are fresher, more exciting. and with enough staff on for you not to be forgotten about... so if you are ever back in Warrnambool please do give me a call at the restaurant on 55613188 so I can make your new experience how it should be!

Brenton

Melbourne, Australia
“yummmmy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

brilliant food from this 2 year old restaurant, we were tempted by the menu in window, made a booking, we were all very happy with our meals, delicious in fact. Friendly staff... this restuarant would give many a restaurant "a run for their money" in Melbourne.

PickledPig, Manager at Pickled Pig, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Anne,
Thanks for dining with us at Pickled Pig Restaurant and taking the time to post such a lovely review! We are very happy you enjoyed the food and our friendly staff. We hope you will dine with us again when you are next in Warrnambool!
“Superb Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Pickled Pig offers a limited but
wonderful menu, a very good wine list and excellent service. My selection of scallops, lamb and home made icecream left me very satisfied in terms of quality and taste. The restaurant has a very nice ambience. Noise levels were low. We were a table 7women and right next door to us was a table of 8people which include 2very well behaved little children. A lovely night. Thank you

PickledPig, Manager at Pickled Pig, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Helen,
Thankyou for dining with us at Pickled Pig Restaurant again this year and taking the time to post such kind words! We are glad you enjoyed our food, wine and service and we look forward to welcoming you back to dine with us again whilst you are camping in Warrnambool next summer!
“That was amazing!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I booked dinner here while we were on holidays, we were amazed with the quality of food and service! I had the lamb and it was cooked perfectly, and my partner had the porterhouse also cooked to perfection!!! Great atmosphere and definetly can not wait till next holidays down here...

PickledPig, Manager at Pickled Pig, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Mark_dowel84,
Thankyou for dining with us at Pickled Pig Restaurant and taking the time to post such positive feedback. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the quality of service and food and we can't wait to welcome you back to dine with us again at Pickled Pig Restaurant next holidays!
Khartoum, Sudan
“Most enjoyable!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

As a vegetarian I'm always tentative about going to some restaurants, especially one like this with a Spanish theme across the menu - in my experience Spanish food is not very vegetarian-friendly. The Pickled Pig was most enjoyable - great service - knowledgeable, friendly, all the serving staff were clearly enjoying their work. The food was good, my companion had the Tasmanian salmon which she said was delicious and beautifully cooked with a very delicate sauce. I could have missed the patatas bravas - thought it would be a bit more than almost french fries with nice tomato-based sauce. The vegetable stew was tasty - a mixture of chickpeas and different herbs and spices. Good choice of wines by the glass or bottle and all reasonably priced. We finished with Crema Catalana which was delicious - very smooth and creamy perfectly caramelised - very similar to crème brulée.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PickledPig, Manager at Pickled Pig, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Robert99_12,
Thankyou for dining with us at Pickled Pig Restaurant and taking the time to post a review. We are very glad you enjoyed the food, wine and service. It was very rewarding to read your comment "serving staff were clearly enjoying their work" as we are all very passionate about food and wine. Although we do not offer a lot of vegetarian dishes we are more than happy to alter dishes from our menu to cater for all dietary requirements. We are disappointed that you did not enjoy the patatas bravas as this is a traditional Spanish dish which is very popular with alot of our regular customers. We hope that you will dine with us again at Pickled Pig Restaurant when you are next in town!