“Don't believe what you read”

Discovery Parks - Warrnambool
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed here for a week in October and the weather was nothing short of lousy the entire week. Driving wind and rain - which I loved. Actually forced me to relax and unwind from busy corporate life.

I wanted something basic, no frills and above all else: QUIET. And that it was. Maybe because I was staying out of peak times. Although I did stay the weekend of the melbourne - Warrnambool bicycle race but with a park half full of semi-pro NRS cyclists they weren't an issue.

I found the average stay of other visitors to the park was max 2 - 3 nights and didn't have any issues with anyone else. Very few kids there (which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you are on your own and want quiet)

I went down with three goals of: riding the Port Fairy - Warny Railtrail, riding the beach trail and relax. Achieved all 3 without stepping on the sand.

You pay $2 (2 x $1) to use the communal spa. The pool was heated in October which was good.

The communal bbq area was quiet and very clean - was enclosed that time of the year, with a tv in the area, 4 bbq tops, 2 fridges (if you don't have a fridge you can use one of these if you mark your items with your name/ site number, sink and boiling water tap (to make tea/ coffee).

The games room next to the eating area was quite nice - including a free video game to play whilst waiting for the clothes washing/ drying.

To use the washing machine is $3 (3 x $1) (laundry powder available @ reception) and I spent $3 (3 x $1) per dryer load (industrial sized dryers) which was sufficient for quite a large load to dry. Reception has change if you require. I didn't have have issues with the laundry (ie. didn't appear to be used that often) using 1. the bbq area, 2.washing/ drying rooms and 3. pool/ spa.

I stayed in the 6 berth family deluxe cabin as I had a bike to store and I found it neat, tidy and well presented. It is basic, but what do you expect from a Jayco Cabin in a cabin park? If you want something better, you'll pay more and be further away from the beach and in the centre of town in a motel. The 6 berth cabin came with an iron/ board, broom, plates, knives, forks etc. The TV was atop the fridge if you have kids, this could cause a problem, but tell them to outside and play, or read a book - I know i did plenty of reading that week as I didn't want to sit and watch tv all week.

The beach is across the road plus an easy cut through the caravan park opposite (that is only open during peak season) - you can still walk through the caravan park opposite when it is closed without issue. Maybe 2 minute easy walk. I stayed @ the back of the park so road noise and oceans crashing wasn't an issue. WIth onsite resident managers, I don't think they'd tolerate too much late night partying and disruption to other guests.

I didn't have much to do with the onsite managers but when I did they were always polite and cheerful and always said hello. I was basically left to myself - which is definately what I needed/ wanted.

Reasonable pricing for fully self contained basic accomodation.

I found the queen bed quite comfortable. In the 6 berth cabin the main bedroom was a bit small with a queen sized bed in there, but I wasn't phased. I was on my lonesome. I used the 2nd bedroom to store suitcase and bike + bike bits as I was on my lonesome for most of the trip. Listening to the howling winds coming in off the southern ocean and the rain pelting on the cabin roof brought back fond memories of stayinig in my parent's caravan. Even the tree branches rustling on the roof was quite relaxing.

Lake Pertobe and relaxing walks are only 1 minute away. The breakwater is only 6 - 7 mins walk away and the township centre is only 5 mins drive away. The Port Fairy-Warrny railtrail start is @ the breakwater is accessible off road from directly opposite the park if you want to start right @ the start. Otherwise it goes within 200metres of the park entrance.

Don't get me wrong, this park isn't designed for couples or singles, it is a family park: for kids, there is the beach across the road and through the caravan park opposite, onsite games room, onsite heated swimming pool, paid mini golf is 30 seconds walk, bike path alongside/ off the road is directly across the road, lake pertobe adventure playground is 4 mins walk away (adult speed), lawn tennis is next door for hire and Flagstaff hill museum is 2 mins drive away.

I'd recommend staying here again for sure.

Room Tip: 6 berth deluxe family cabin - the bathroom was a bit small as was the main bedroom - sacrificed to m...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Brent J
DiscoveryHolidayPark, Manager at Discovery Parks - Warrnambool, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hi waggerbj, thanks for your review and sharing your experience of your stay in Warrnambool

Reviewed October 25, 2013

"Delux" Cabins were looking tired and bed linen was unclean. When unclean linen was returned to them the room was not given a full clean we were merely given new linen. $15 per day for wifi per device is too expensive and two sachets of toiletries for four people for two nights was insufficient and according to the person responsible for changing linen apparently the "allowance". Not comparable with other places we have stayed on this trip.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
DiscoveryHolidayPark, Manager at Discovery Parks - Warrnambool, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Hi Simon, Thanks for your review and taking the time to provide your feedback. We will look into the issues you have raised.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We are on a family driving holiday at the moment we have stayed in 7 different places in the last 2 weeks, and this place is by far our worst pick. The family cedar cabins were very small, rather dacky, no laundry facilities, and at $208 a night one of our more expensive stays. We have found that Big 4 accomodation is generally no frills quality for a premium price. So if you are a family looking for a good value place to stay consider trying a resort before a caravan park you will be surprised by the excellent deals around.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gellatlys
DiscoveryHolidayPark, Manager at Discovery Parks - Warrnambool, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Hi Gellatlys, thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback and use all comments to further improve and develop the products and services we deliver.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked a deluxe family cabin for us and our three children (one infant) which was recommended to us at the time of booking. We also booked a portacot and high chair, which was fortunate, as we were told that there was only one high chair available throughout the entire park, which I found a bit surprising. Check in was simple and swift with signature and rego taken, keys handed over along with directions to cabin, might of been nice to have more of an orientation to the park. The first thing I noticed as we entered the cabin was the grotty couch. It was in quite a state and I promptly put a blanket over it to help me feel more comfortable. Even the kids noticed! The couch sat only three people, so for three wet days it wasn't quite the space to relax at the end of the day. The cabin was small and lacked and space for storing bags, and even your food shopping, however it had a handy full sized fridge and there was plenty of hanging rails for towels. The cabin was relatively clean but due to its age and deterioration, it felt grubby overall. The bedding, fixtures and fittings were all needing an upgrade. The split system heating was effective and warmed the whole cabin up quickly and there were enough basic implements to make simple dishes. All this feedback is in relation to the fact we had booked and paid for a deluxe cabin, it was far from that and more like what I would expect from a budget cabin. The park itself was tidy and quiet but due to the cold and wet weather we didn't utilise the pool and playground. The location is fantastic for a family holiday being next door to the Lake Pertobe precinct, however next time I would spend a few extra dollars (or not even necessary) and stay somewhere a little more comfortable and of better standard.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
DiscoveryHolidayPark, Manager at Discovery Parks - Warrnambool, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We value all feedback both positive and negative and are always striving to improve on the products and services we provide to our guests. Should you like to discuss any particular aspect of your stay with us please feel free to contact us direct on customerfeedback@discoveryparks.com.au

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in cedar cabin with 2 bedrooms, 1 queen & single and double bed bunk. The cabin we stayed was near the front and playground. It was clean with good bathroom facilities. We were able to cook breakfast, plates, cookery etc provided. Our stay was during winter and electric blankets for all beds were provided and as well as a split system heater. It was great to
stay next to the main park
(5-10 walk) & a pleasant stay for the whole family. Must go see Fun4Kids (all indoors) held once a year
in July.

• Stayed: July 2013

Hi Cristina M, thanks for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and are very glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Warrnambool and the park. Looking forward to seeing you again for next year's Fun4Kids festival!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Arrived late & tired to a lovely,clean unit. Had only booked the room that day, they phoned to confirm and organised late key pick up. It was a very comfortable place to stay and much better than a hotel or motel for us, very quiet ((we almost slept too long).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wendy B
DiscoveryHolidayPark, Manager at Discovery Parks - Warrnambool, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thanks for your post! We really appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is a very good Park. The Unit we stayed in was clean and comfortable. When booking in the lady in reception was very friendly and welcoming. During our stay I had to go to reception to get some change for the washing machine and the man in there was also very helpful and friendly too. We went for a walk around the Park to have a look as we also have a caravan and wanted to see what the powered sites were like. They were also very well kept and had a cement slab. The grounds in the Park are very well kept. The door for the shower/toilet block was ajar so I went in and checked them out also and they were very clean and inviting. The Park also has a large undercover camp kitchen and laundry too. A games room was there too but we never used that. Two dryers in the laundry were not working though but they had three others to use as well. We will definitely stay at this Park again in the future and as we will be doing regular trips to Warrnambool we would stay here again during one of those trips. The only negative thing I would say about the Park is on the day we were leaving we took the key back to the office to check out and the woman behind the counter was RUDE and not one little bit friendly at all. I said good morning with a smile and all I got in return was a very rude grunt and also no good morning or have a nice day. Also I thanked her for our good stay and not even a hope you come back or have a safe trip. If the Park can improve her manners then I would say they were a totally friendly and welcoming Park but they are not quite there with her attitude letting the team down. If she does not want to be happy and friendly towards the guest then don't work there.

Room Tip: Our room was a Cedar Deluxe Cabin and was terrific. Had all you need in there to have a great stay.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AdelaideTetley
DiscoveryHolidayPark, Manager at Discovery Parks - Warrnambool, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Hi, Thanks for your feedback and taking the time to write a review, we're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We welcome all feedback and you can be assured that your comments have been passed on to the team. If you would like to follow up on any aspects of your stay please email customerfeedback@discoveryparks.com.au.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warrnambool
Deep Blue Hotel & Hot Springs
BIG4 Hopkins River Holiday Park
BIG4 Port Fairy Holiday Park
BIG4 Port Fairy Holiday Park
#1 of 11 in Port Fairy

Been to Discovery Parks - Warrnambool? Share your experiences!