“No Plumbing Problems this time”

Deep Blue Hotel & Hot Springs
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Warrnambool
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Revisited the Sebel Deep Blue courtesy of the Manager after our disastrous last visit.
Room very nice. Spotlessly clean. Friday night was very quiet. The only issue we had was on Saturday night with extremely noisy guests in the room above us. This went until nearly midnight and then started again at 6.30 Sunday morning. We will stay there again but will request not to stay on the 4th floor due to noise issues from the uncarpeted penthouses above.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 16, 2010

We arrived at our hotel when it is all dark out. The road signs to the place is not very good. We missed it and had to do a u turn as there is another hotel blocking it. The staff were friendly and with a fireplace burning, it made me feel at ease at once. The rooms were cozy with large oil heaters. The TV is a little small for my liking and the aircond is very noisy. Other than the two, everything else about the room was perfect. I had a wonderful time recuperating for the Great Ocean Road drive.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2010

The room we stayed in was modern, clean and comfortable. The service was great. The highlight of our stay was the restaurant. We had been travelling for two weeks and stayed at Mildura, Adelaide then Warrnambool this was the best meal we had, The food was delicious, exceptional flavours and young lady who served us, I think her name was Rachael, but not sure, was excellent. We were very impressed with her service, she went out of her way to help in any way she could and was very efficient.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2010

The wife and I stayed here for one night at the end of August.

I have no complaints about the hotel. We did not have breakfast, use the pool, use the internet, room service etc: all we did was sleep there.

The room was quite large, as was the bathroom (see pics), and both were immaculate and new. (In fact, I get the feeling that this is a rather new hotel.)
We had an oblique view of the corellas and the sea, but as it was cold and wet, we did not take advantage of the balcony.

Less than 10 minutes drive from the beach to see the whales, and even closer to the town centre, this hotel gets full points for its location. We paid about AU$130 for the one night, which I think was value for money.

All in all, I thought it was a great find, and I would suggest it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights. Our package included breakfast both mornings with a great selection to choose from. If we stay in accomodation with a day spa, I always treat myself to a facial. This facial was one of the best I've received and would highly recommend if you stay.
Dinner Package in restaurant was also great value, 3 courses and a glass of wine for $49.95.

Reviewed June 26, 2010

On the morning of 13 June all we had was a trickle of water from the the shower but the next morning we had no water at all. Both days the breakfast was of a very poor standard-cold coffee,small selection and hot dishes not replaced when finished. Monday morning fire alarms went off-once again no assistance or explanation from the staff. Eventually we were told it was a false alarm. We will not stay here again and will not recommend it

2  Thank Hurlingham56
Reviewed June 20, 2010

With a package (booked on wotif.com) at AU$235, I reckon this cannot go wrong. In fact, it has been quite a pleasant stay. I believe this is the only hotel in Warrnambool (I’m not 100% certain). I needed a hotel rather than a motel or bed and breakfast as my partner is a “spoilt brat” when it comes to accommodation.

In terms of value, I think the package that I’ve got was worth every penny. Hotel buffet breakfast is about AU$30 per person (I’ve overheard from the waitress when she was telling a couple about the pricing but I wasn’t sure if it’s AU$30 for each person or AU$15 for each person. AU$15 sounds kind of cheap for a hotel breakfast so I reckon it must be AU$30 for each person).
AU$60 (breakfast for 2) + AU$70 (private mineral spa pool for 2) = AU$130. Technically, the room only cost us AU$105! This is relatively cheap, in my opinion, for a hotel. And there is no parking charge. You can choose to park in the open (only about 20~30 lots) or the multi-storey carpark (2 levels which can cater to another 20~30 lots) so you need not worry about car parking as there are only 85 (I think) rooms in this hotel. I went back to the hotel at about 10pm after a late dinner and I was able to find a parking lot. The mult-storey car park seems to be quite secure as it’s linked to the hotel and the open space car park is quite visible from the 24 hours reception.

Location wise, It is located in “a little corner”. I can understand the other reviewers’ complaints about the location as I got a little lost myself. If you key in 16 Pertobe Road Warrnambool into your GPS, your GPS will most likely bring you to a residential (or resort?) place. I will try my best to give you a little "guide". When you drive along Pertobe road towards the hotel, it is a one lane (in each direction) road and you will pass by the beach car park on your left. As you continue to drive straight, you will see a pizza shop on the left. Continue to drive straight and your GPS will most likely announce that you have arrived at your destination. But nope, you will see the residential (or resort) looking houses if you turn left. So DO NOT turn left. If you turn left (upon hearing your GPS announcement), you are actually entering the entrance to the residential (or resort) place. In fact, on top of the wall of the gate of this residential place (or resort), it does indicate “Deep Sebel Blue entrance 100m away”.

You should continue to drive straight to a round-about. At the round-about, you will see a sign that says turn left to Sebel Blue. Once you turn left, keep to your left as you will see another Sebel blue sign that indicates you to turn left again. When we turn left, there was this resort in front of us (Lady Bay resort?) which we thought was Sebel blue but no, there is this tiny sign that sort of guide you to a little to the right and turn left and you see Sebel blue. Pardon my bad description but in the daytime, you should be able to see the tiny signage. So yes, the signage should be better but it’s not a drama unless you are driving at night to the hotel for the first time.

Once I stepped into the hotel, I was quite impressed by the overall décor. The reception area is tiny, can only check in/out 2 guests at the same time. There is a nice lounge area and the restaurant (tiny area) on the right. Clean and bright. Check in was a breeze except that I forgot my photo ID (which is required for wotif.com booking) but the receptionist was really lovely about it and took my other identification card (no photo) and my partner’s photo ID. We got allocated to a room on level 3.

My room was near the elevator. It got a little noise at times. And I agree that the walls are thin. But if you are just in the room to sleep and shower, it shouldn’t bother you as by night time, it was peaceful and quiet. We were watching the World Cup till 11.30pm and didn’t notice any noise. If you are an extremely light sleeper, then you may want to reconsider this hotel. The fact that I didn’t encounter any noise was purely, I believe, luck. But for a hotel at this price and in this sort of location, I reckon the chances of having teenagers partying in their room till wee hours should be quite low. Most of the guests are tourists or old/young couples enjoying a weekend out of the city.

The room is nice and bright. And most important, it’s clean. The carpet is clean too. I’m quite particular about carpets in hotel room. There is a balcony but only for standing. No chairs or table. But I wouldn’t fancy standing at the balcony (basically your next door neighbor will be standing about 1m away from you on their own balcony) except to take a photo of the “Ocean View”. Look at my pictures and you will know what I meant by “Ocean” View”. The TV is small (20” I think) but it can be adjusted to a certain angle plus there is this foldable mirror wall that separates the toilet to the main room. So you can have the wall folded and watch the TV while you are brushing your teeth. And it definitely helps if you are trying to go to the toilet and watch the World Cup at the same time!

I’ve got a King bed but the mattress seems to be resting on 2 single bed frame. But it didn’t bother me. Still feels like a King bed to me. The room has a study desk (internet is not free), arm chair, ironing board, iron, extra pillows and the basic shampoo, conditioner, shower foam and body lotion. No cotton wool/bud. The room also has a huge heating panel and it does get quite warm so I turn it off before sleeping but it got chilly in the middle of the night so we switched it on again. The shower pressure can get low at times (I believe at peak hours like early evening and morning) but I took my showers late at night (10pm) and it was quite strong. At about 8.15am, my partner took his morning shower and the pressure was a little weak. I was reading about the other reviewer on the plumbing issue. Thinking back, I now understand why the toilet bowl was a little stinky. But it was not that bad. I thought it was due to the fact that they have some mineral water from the underground of the hotel (for the spa). In fact, when we tried to take a shower at about 6pm, there was no (and I mean absolutely nothing) hot water coming from the shower tap! I called housekeeping and they explained that they have some problem with the pump (or something) in the morning and that it was fixed but the problem came back. And she assured me that there will be hot water in another hour or so. We got back at about 10pm and there was hot water and the water pressure was good.

Food wise, there was a 2 course dinner package at AU$39 (with a glass of house red/white) but we had a car so we drove to Liebig street (for pizza) to have our dinner. A Iittle tip, if you are travelling weekend or long weekends, please call the restaurant to make a reservation. The Bojangles pizza restaurant (61 Liebig Street) and the Proudfoots on the River (2 Simpsons Steet) were fully booked! We ended up at Donnelly’s Restaurant (pricey. AU$100ish for 2 persons. Include 2 starters, 2 mains 1 dessert + 1 coffee. Big servings in my opinion. The food is alright).

Back to the hotel food. The buffet breakfast. I wouldn't pay AU$30 for the breakfast. Drive out and explore the town if you have a car. The hot food only consists of 6 dishes. Scramble egg, sausage, pancake, bacon, hash brown, ham. You will also have the usual suspects. Breads, muffin, cereals, fruits, milk, croissant, jams, peanut butter, butter, tea and coffee.

A few more tips if you have a car. Drive out to Logan beach (during Whale season) to try your luck and see if you can see a whale! We drove to The Cheeseworld (Great Ocean Road, Allansford) and The Railway Yard (Bailey Street Timboon) on our way back to Melbourne. Just something to make your drive a little interesting (if you are not driving along the coast). We drove along Princes Highway (also known as A1 highway as per my GPS). If you are starting from Melbourne to Warrnambool at about 9am, you can stop along Geelong (you should reach at about 10.30am) and have breakfast (make a reservation though) at The Sailor’s Rest (3 Moorabool Street). From Geelong, it took us about 2 hours (no stops) to Warrnambool as the traffic was quite smooth. But you should allow yourself about 2.5~3 hours (for bad traffic and stops if you need one).

Just a little suggestion for the management of the hotel (I presume you will be reading this). How about providing free internet in the room in the future? I think that free internet can have some significant influence on a potential customer's decision to stay in your hotel or another. For a 1 day stay I do not mind not having internet (but I've got internet access on my phone).

2  Thank chokolo