“Beautiful Place to relax”

Deep Blue Hotel & Hot Springs
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Warrnambool
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place at the end of the great ocean road. Ocean view rooms are great & the geothermal spa is worth a visit. The brekkie was continental which was well stocked with sufficient selection. Keep an eye on wotif for bargains, there are deals offered at at 40% discount to advertised prices including brekkie and geothermal pool entrance (brekkie $17 & pool entrance $9 each)

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Planetweb
Tim_MoloneyQSDB, General Manager at Deep Blue Hotel & Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor and pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I booked a 3 night trip away via the Mystery Deal on Wotif and received this hotel for a 3 night King Sea View room.
Upon arrival we were greeted warmly and given our rooms. We had to ask about breakfast and pool / facilities as none of this was explained at check in. Upon entering our room we were quite disappointed as our apparent “Ocean View” was only visible from the very corner of the outside balcony and not at all from the room. In fact it was facing the town side and overlooking a rear car park. When the ocean is the other side of the hotel. Previously having stayed at the hotel and booking sea view I received rooms on the other side facing the sea. We spoke with reception who quickly changed our rooms so we could see the sea from the room. This really frustrated us as these rooms were NOT ocean view and they tried to give us one of these as I believe we had a Wotif special. The room itself is not of a 4.5 star quality, I would say more 3.5, the rooms are out-dated, not clean and a King which is 2 single mattress’s together (not comfortable at all) Our bathroom wasn’t very clean with hairs up walls and on toilet seats. The balcony is nice, but no furniture outside for you to sit and enjoy. We were on the 3rd floor and had a lot of problems with the noise from upstairs. At 10pm each night sounded like furniture being moved around, we called reception but the noise didn’t stop, so wasn’t a restful night between that and the bins outside being continually emptied into skip bins.
The pool was pleasant but you have to pay $15p/p for the thermal pool, which we did but was only for 1hour. The gym is more a storage box, no windows, and only a couple of pieces of equipment. The Austar consists of a couple of channels, so not worth the mention. We seen food left outside people’s rooms for up to 24hrs before being cleaned and taken away, which was horrible, we seen 1 staff member move it from the floor to the end of the hall under the sink, which it stayed there for another day.
We did enjoy pre dinner drinks which were reasonably priced at the bar, with a nice selection of drinks and wines.
Overall I wouldn’t stay here again, the location is the only thing going for it, the staff aren’t over helpful, rooms dated and in need of refurb, the fact they try and put you in a room you didn’t book in is sneaky and unprofessional and having stayed there twice now will never be back!

Room Tip: Sea View Rooms are located on the enterance side overlooking the ocean and lady bay resort and ask f...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Frequentoztravellers
Tim_MoloneyQSDB, General Manager at Deep Blue Hotel & Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank You for your feedback on a recent stay with us and appreciate the comments which gives the hotel an opportunity to address instances where we could have done a little better.

The mystery deal via WOTIF is a great one if you are able to secure a room and are sold on the basis it has Ocean Views from the balconies which are located on the 3rd and 4th floor of the hotel, If you were not allocated to those floors originally then I do apologize and nice to hear reception staff greeted you warmly and that another room could be made available to you.

We have looked at placing furniture on our balconies but have found the wind to be too extreme in Warrnambool.

The star rating of 4 1/2 was awarded to hotel this time last year and from my understanding is based on the entire product with an emphasis on guest rooms but appreciate your view is of personal opinion. Your comments relating to the bedding, we do have 24 rooms which are King splits which suit a variety of our guests with different needs but we are looking at purchasing King mattress toppers in the hope to make every guests stay a comfortable one.

Pleased you enjoyed the hotels indoor pool and the other is a Geothermal Mineral Pool which is where we pump water up from an aquifer 800 meters beneath the hotel at a temperature of 44 degrees and then cooled to 39 degrees and due to the process and cost is why we charge guests to use. The water contains Chloride, Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium and bicarbonate just to name a few which help with arthritis, assists with reducing high blood pressure, can improve blood circulation and stimulate the body’s lymphatic system.

The Gym does in fact have 3 opening windows to help circulation and in the room we have a Treadmill, Cross Trainer, Bike and a Rower which are all new equipment coupled with a weight bench and ball which I believe is a great offering outside a professional gym which you would normally have to pay to use. To make our guests more comfortable whilst doing their workout the exercise room also has ceiling fans, 42” TV with all TV channels plus FOXTEL and Geothermal heating for those winter mornings.

The Austar you mention is FOXTEL and streams 6 channels of which 3 are sport from memory, Discovery, 24 hour news and a Lifestyle and we also have the option of guest utilizing Docomo, a 24 hour on demand pay per view movie service which the hotel has paid to have installed for our guests to use at their convenience.

I am pleased you enjoyed drinks at the hotel bar, we are trying hard to improve this area of the hotel by way of offering a 5 day promo on food and now doing happy hour every day from 4pm. We are currently sourcing new furniture for the foyer which will add to the overall experience of the hotel and envisage being complete in the next 6-8 weeks.

Once again thank you for your comments of which I have found to be very informative and if we can get you back in the future I believe we can deliver on our promise.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I often say in reviews that hotels treat you either like second rate cheapskates or warmly welcome you when you book through sites like wotif.

Deep Blue Warrnambool is the former.

When I arrived and went to the reception desk, the receptionist named Carlos simply glared at me and asked if he could help me, no smile, no greeting, no nothing. Then when I offered my named he groaned "oh wotif". Then proceeded to click buttons and not engage at all. Then halfway through checking me in, one other of his 'nuisance' guests came to reception to remind Carlos he had forgotten something, and another sigh, another guest to interrupt him. So he stopped checking me in and walked off to the other end of the desk to do something else. I was just left standing there wondering what was going on.

Then another guy came out of the back office and asked me if he could help me, well Captain Obvious..... you could have asked Carlos why he simply walked away from me?? So he completed check in and made a big deal out of the room rate I scored, as if I was the lucky one to be staying there! Very unprofessional. Then I asked about hotel facilities, so he then literally lectured me about what a 4.5 star rating meant. Very unimpressed.

Then the car park. NO internal access to the hotel from the car park??? Well there is a door from the top level, but it is locked and you have to use the uncovered fire stairs from Lv 2 down to Lv 1 and then across the park to a small flight that brings you down near reception. Strange.

Now to the room, an oceanview king suite. Adequately finished and not clean. The room was dusty and you could tell housekeeping had not been near the room in a while, as the clock had not been changed from daylight saving time. The external door/windows to the balcony were filthy. Oceanview is very much an exaggeration. I had a lovely view of the neighbouring hotels car park and roof. If I stood on the balcony and inclined my head 90' I could see the ocean. an the stench coming from the bins down below YUK. Not to mention the bathroom ventilation outlets were next to the balconies, so some mysterious odours from other rooms. I didn't want to stay on the balcony too long as the underneath of all the balconies I could see was starting to fall off.

Shower was OK, but no door and the bathroom wall folded back, so required closing for privacy. Pointless really.

The desk lamp was broken and the king bed was two singles joined, so very hard and very uncomfortable. A terrible nights sleep with the floodlights of the car park making it seem like daylight, so no seaside breeze as they had to kept closed due to the bin, bathroom and smokers odours.

Breakfast was good, but way overpriced. The young ladies in the restaurant were very helpful and cheery. Very attentive to diners. When looking for a teaspoon, I had to use a paddle pop stick!! Unacceptably cheap. NOT what you would expect from an alleged 4.5 stars......

Housekeeping starting hassling me well before checkout time. The young lady on checkout was pleasant. Not at all like the Carlos guy. Every time I walked past him, he was looking at some spot on the roof, if must have been interesting as he would never greet guests or look them in the eye, but loved looking at that spot on the ceiling.

So the whole place felt strange and disconcerting and well past it's prime. The adjacent Lady Bay resort looked a whole lot more inviting. A few locals confirmed what I thought about the Deep Blue.

Room Tip: Simply go elsewhere - try the Lady Bay resort for ocean views, not car park views like the Deep Blue...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Douggy69

Dear Guest,

I apologize for the apparent way you were treated by a hotel Guest Service Agent, this type of behavior is not tolerated and in light of your comments have engaged an external trainer to come into the hotel and update the staff on correct ways to engage guests and ensure we are offering the best customer service possible.

As you have mentioned the undercover car park available for guests to use has an access door but is for exit of the hotel only due to noise restrictions for guest in the vicinity of the door and also security reasons its and exit only. The first level of the car park has only one flight down to the reception entrance and the Porte Cochere is available for guests to unload their vehicles before utilizing the undercover car park.

The Hotel is positioned at right angles to the beach and was designed so as to give both sides (all rooms) of the property a view of some type from the 3rd, 4th & 5th floors. In March 2013 this year we made a change and re-phrased the rooms on these levels title to "Ocean View from the Balcony". In most cases, this is made clear to our valued guests and is already highlighted on our website, Third Party Websites and by our reservations team here at the property.

On occasions in Warrnambool seaweed does wash up on the beaches and this is the only scenario comes to mind when you make mention to mysterious odours. The bins you make mention of belong to the Lady Bay Resort which is located in front of the hotel and have made a request to have these relocated due to the smell and the noise when it is being filled buy their staff at night.

The bi-fold doors you make mention are an architectural design when the hotel was built and over the years we have had a great response to this feature but appreciate your comments are personal.

On arrival you may have noticed static advertising on the hotel reception desk a promotion for breakfast, rewarding guests who are willing to pay the day before and the discount would have saved you $8.00 per person.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as we were attending a friends wedding. We found the staff friendly and helpful. The room was spotless and did not have any strong chemical smells that you often get .

The car parking was good and easy. We found the hotel lived up to its advertisements.

We will definitely stay here when next in Warrnambool.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Came here on the recommendation of a Melbourne friend, having driven the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne. Nicely equipped penthouse suite for 2 adults and 2 kids, could perhaps have done with a second loo. The hotel is not the prettiest ever built but has good views and is located a short drive away from town (no more than 5 minutes) convenient for lovely coastal walks and the beaches. Warnambool is clearly a place that gets overrun by hordes in the Aussie high season so expect it to be busy then.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Out of the four 2 Bedroom Penthouses we do have I believe one does has 2 bathrooms so when you are back in Warrnambool and in need of accommodation please do not hesitate to contact the hotel and request the 2 bedroom Penthouse that has 2 bathrooms.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for the weekend and had a great time, we had a voucher purchased online and even found a bottle of bubbles in our room. The naturally heated mineral pool is amazing - and the perfect remedy to unwind after a long drive from Melbourne. We used the pool the 3 days we were there, and unlike other mineral water this is not sulphuric fragranced! Staff were great, rooms were very nice, continental breakfast was good and it's only a $10 cab fare to town. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor and pleased you enjoyed your girls weekend away at the hotel.

We take pride in the Geothermal Mineral Pool and have invested a lot of time and money to ensure we deliver a rich and natural product so to hear your comments we know we are on the right track with this part of the hotel.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I have stayed 3 times at the Quality Suites Deep Blue so I guess they are doing something right.

Located in a scenic setting the Deep Blue is easy to find. Parking is easy with close spots to reception as well as free undercover carparking. Check in is quick and welcoming. The last two times we have had a Wotif special and have been treated no differently than a full paying guest.

Rooms are spacious and modern with our last two suites having sea views. Last time we enjoyed a terrific sunset over the ocean and this time we got to enjoy a sunrise!

You have the opportunity to pre-book breakfast at a reduced rate which we have done on a number of occasions. Breakfast is just the usual continental selections but still good.

Indoor swimming pool is heated and a good size with deck sitting areas as well.

The only annoying difference this time was that there was a fair bit of room noise from some other suites but apart from that we had another pleasant stay. If it wasn't for the room noise I would have given it 5 stars.

Will definitely stay here again and look forward to doing so. Warrnambool and its surrounds have a lot to offer both for shopping and sightseeing.

Enjoy your stay here.

Dave

Room Tip: Check wotif for specials that also include a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear SouthAussieDave,

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor and pleased you enjoyed your 3rd visit with us.

Keep an eye out for some specials we will have running over the Winter months.