“Great view but not much else”
Review of Beachcomber Cafe

Beachcomber Cafe
Ranked #122 of 297 Restaurants in St Kilda
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We had breakfast on a Sunday morning and I was surprised it was not busy. The view is amazing. That is the draw card. The food is very average. Iwe had bacon and eggs. Very overpriced. I dont like runny eggs at the best if times but the white was not even cooked on mine. Will find somewhere else next time.

1  Thank Julzrob
There are newer reviews for Beachcomber Cafe

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Beachcomber is an awesome place to go for a bite to eat. My friends and I went on Friday night and it was such a lovely night. The food was great, the waiter was so lovely and the view - incredible. We come here quite often to have a meal and a glass of wine by the water and we absolutely love it. It is a little bit pricey but it is possibly THE best location in Melbourne so you have to take that into account when looking at the price of food. There are always lots of staff on (usually foreigners) so you get seen to relatively quickly and the food always comes out super fast! It's definitely a place to check out in St Kilda. I'm really surprised there's bad reviews on here as I've only ever had good experiences but I would recommend you check it out for yourself!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Had dinner there Sunday 27 January and it was absolutely disgraceful and not worth one cent.
3 dips and pita bread, one dip uneatable taste, bread smoking hot, could hardly pick it up without
Burning your fingers, and mould.
Fish and chips to forget immediately, mould batter, sticky fish inside, tasteless tartare sauce and probably the worst fries we were ever served.
I still ask myself why I didn't leave the dishes as they were, but probably to hungry...
This place should be taken off the list. A shame for St Kilda.

2  Thank Karel V
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I ate an early dinner in the outdoor dining area directly adjacent the esplanade walkway. I ate here purely for the view and to 'people-watch' as the sun set over the water. This is an excellent location to relax.

I ordered calamari and it was average and quite expensive for the dish. There seems about a 30% premium for the view - which I don't mind paying for an outstanding view but the food wasn't that great. The service was very slow and I think a lot of the staff are seasonal staff or backpackers so the experience is not consistent.

The fabulous view is the only thing giving a three star review else it would be a two star review.

The outdoor service area is quite large and can be noisy with so many people and so close to the esplanade - but that's fine for the location. I was fortunate to have a table directly adjacent the walkway but others further back would not have the same scenic experience.

I would suggest getting some takeaway food and sitting on the grassy knolls for the same experience. Or go to one of the nicer restaurants/bars further down the beach for a nicer experience but not quite on the waterfront.

I probably wouldn't visit again.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Warning! Don't decide to go here based on the online menu. My father is limited on what he can eat. We checked the menu on line, before driving the 35+ kilometers to St Kilda. When we sat down and looked at the menus we discovered that some of the dishes were not there.
What made it worse was the Fawlty-Toweresque apology we got from the waiter, He banged on about how he was looking forward to lamb shanks that evening as well, but the delivery had not turned up, blah, blah...not remotely believable.
The food ain't too bad, but it is a bit pricey. For the prices you are paying, you would expect a bit better than cheap plastic chairs and formica table tops.
The views from the windows are good.