“Delicious Chinese food, worth the trip”

Lau's Family Kitchen
Ranked #8 of 290 Restaurants in St Kilda
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
“Delicious Chinese food, worth the trip”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We ate there on a Wednesday night when the place was busy but not full. Very good Chinese food, no hint of MSG here. Beautiful presentation, our waitress suggested some excellent dishes. Not the cheapest meal we had but worth paying for. No faults.

• Visited February 2014

• Hungarian first
“Quality Chinese Food in St. Kilda”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Our adult family of 4 ate at Lau's in early January. It was a balmy evening and we chose a table outside. After entrees of various dumpling dishes, whitebait omelette and a siu mai, we decided on chicken, pork and beef dishes accompanied by simple boiled rice. All were cooked and presented beautifully except the rice which was gluggy and not separate. For this reason we couldn't give an excellent rating. The wine list was reasonable with a few highlights, one of which was, what we thought, a top NZ Pinot Gris from the Waipara area north of Christchurch.
All in all a good evening was had by all of us. Pricewise, a little on the high side, but that's what one pays for quality. Would go back again despite the gluggy rice!

• Visited January 2014
Melbourne
“Fantastic fresh food!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Fantastic fresh food presented by staff willing to be flexible with the menu and accommodate groups and individual preferences. So consistently fantastic, particularly for groups and families.

• Visited December 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Happy Noise!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Second visit to this vibrant and busy Kitchen. Extremely well organised, excellent unobtrusive service,very tasty well presented chinese cuisine. Has plenty of happy noise and satisfied customers. Need to book.

Visited January 2014
Marrakech, Morocco
“a little piece of flower Drum”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I dined here in early December, quite by chance and from the moment I was taken to a terrace table, I was won over. As a re-invented Melbourne girl with a cooking school in Marrakech, I am always keen to revisit favourite chefs when I'm in town. I didn't know until later, the history of Lau's, when I was raving to fellow Melbourne foodies that I had dined street side in St Kilda on the most fabulous food, reminiscent of the Flower Drum.. the penny dropped! It wasn't shades of Gilbert..it WAS! I supped on everything pork with wines to match as it was a divine, divine meal. I'll be back in February!

• Visited December 2013