“Lived up to it's reputation...”
Review of Barney Allen's - CLOSED

Barney Allen's
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Barney Allen's is warm, friendly mix of cool bar and local pub. It is one of St Kilda's most established businesses. Whether you are after a bite to eat at the bar, Melbourne's best burger, terrific cocktails and beer list or a full 3 course meal, this place can cater to your every need. There is live music on weekends, poker on Saturdays and always great people to have a chat to. It is a must visit place for tourists as well as the local locals local
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We have heard from a number of sources about the legendary Barney Allen Burger. A friend and I were strolling past in search of a decent lunch, and thought we would give it a try.

We were not disappointed.

We were given a warm welcome from a very friendly waiter who was happy to help and who very proudly described the famed Barney Allen burger to us. It sounded like the content of the burger was too much and would make it a right mess to eat, but actually it all worked a treat. It was large, it was tasty and all of the various components blended well into what was probably the best burger I have ever had - and not with an unreasonable price tag.

It wasn't gluttonous, in fact it was just right to fill you up in a satisfied way, not in a waddle-your-way-home kind of way.

I was very impressed and am happy to continue spreading the legend of the Barney Allen Burger.

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We recently ate here. Although the other three had been here before, it was the first time for my wife and myself.
The service was fantastic. They were very happy to oblige and a smile served throughout.
My wife had the pork belly which was fantastic and the rest of us had the burger. Now, I'm not much of a burger fan but was advised that this is what I should have. So under peer pressure agreed to have it. I'm so glad I was persuaded, it was a monumental mouth watering, belly filling delight.
To top everything, Huey the TV chef (it's his place, by the way) was sitting at the end of the bar, photo included (although not a great pic).
All in all we had a great night out there.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I late lunched here with a girlfriend on a wintery December 2013 day and it was as wonderful to see Ruth as it was to savour her swell popcorn chicken and pork belly with a bottle of the nectar of the gods of the Mornington Peninsula. Having re-invented myself from Melbourne girl to cooking school goddess in Marrakech, it is always a highlight, when back in town, to see what my fellow foodies are up to and Ruth is up there in spades,

1  Thank Edwina G
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We were looking for a reasonably priced, chilled out place with good food, a drink and good service. Barney Allen's ticks all the boxes, I had the delicious charcuterie platter and my wife the massive burger. That along with some majitos and some beers made for a great afternoon.

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Good burger meal! Nice cocktails. Great service & friendly staff. Laid back atmosphere. Will visit again next time we are in St Kilda.