“Good budget accommodation.”

Habitat HQ
Sydney, Australia
“Good budget accommodation.”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was the first time we (me, my wife, and daughter ) have stayed in a backpacker hostel. I really have no gripes at all, the staff were very helpful and friendly, we had a family room with a bathroom ( Double bed, and a bunk ) on the 3 rd floor, the room was clean, the bathroom was modern and clean, I am very fussy with beds and the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever had.There is free Wifi, which we had no problems with, although the speed was a bit slow. The kitchen was a bit daunting the first time, as we had never stayed in a place like this before, if you have breakfast later like we do, there are not the large numbers in the kitchen. All the other travellers we met were friendly. The location was great, 20 mins by tram to Federation Square. We stayed between Christmas and New year, and we had no problems with noise. If you want good budget style accommodation, at a great price, in a good location, you cannot do better than Habitat HQ.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
habitatmanager333, General Manager at Habitat HQ, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for choosing Habitat HQ as your first backpackers experience and taking the time to leave such a great review!
I am so please that yourself, wife and daughter felt comfortable here, we work really hard to ensure we create an atmosphere to suite all types of travellers and it is a pleasure to make such a great first impression:
Backpacking is such an amazing experience and we enjoy being involved in this industry.

We hope to see you and your family again

Simone and the Habitat team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Buchs St. Gallen, Switzerland
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed in a double room for one night. Was clean and planty of space. Crew was friendly. Free WiFi wasn't workin on the third floor at all. Kitchen is to small for the backpacker hostel.
We could park our car for free and on the departure day until 2 pm.

Hi Roman,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Habitat HQ and taking the time to review our hostel!
We are glad you enjoyed our fantastic clean facility and found our team to be friendly. I am sorry you found the kitchen too small, at peak periods it can seem very hectic but we believe we offer a fantastic, well equipped communal kitchen.
I am sorry that we had issues with our Wifi during your stay. We have since addressed the issue and continuously monitoring its performance.

Simone and the Habitat team
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2013

This hostel is very social, perfect for anyone travelling alone. Overall the hotel is great, great kitchen, clean and comfy beds however there are a few negatives!
First the wifi is very bad!!

Second; considering this is one of the most expensive hostels in Melbourne they do not let you put your bags in their store room even for a few hours once you've checked out (although sometimes this depends who you speak to!)
It shouldn't be our fault that their store room is rediculously small for the size of the hostel.

Third; they do not look after the people there living there long term/staying there already:on a weekend they gave us no notice to say they were soon to be fully booked and left me and 3 friends with no where to stay (literally) and they didn't care one bit and of course then they didn't want our bags in the store room!!

I'm only saying these negative points, not because I don't think you'll have a good time at this hostel but because I really think these things need to be addressed by the hostel!

• Stayed December 2013
habitatmanager333, General Manager at Habitat HQ, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Hi Julie,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hostel. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our extra comfy beds and other facilities.
Unfortunately you were with us at one of the busiest times of the year and because of our fantastic word of mouth we really do get booked out in advance and as per the signs in the Hostel state we recommend you book and pay well in advance to ensure you get to stay with us! I am sorry to hear that we did not have space for you and I apologise if you felt our reception team didn't care.
We do offer secure locker storage for guests that check out at a cost of only $4 for a 24hr period. We have these firstly to ensure that your belongings are locked up and secure for extended periods. The free luggage nook is used for early arrivals for our check ins and unfortunately we do not have the space to store ALL check ins and check outs luggage in this tiny cupboard.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Simone & the Habitat Team
Melbourne
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed with a mate for 4 nights at a real busy time with lots of events going on in Melbourne.
I found the staff extremely polite, professional and helpful during this time. The rooms were clean and all people staying appeared friendly and easy going.
The location is great, tram outside your door basically and short 10 min walk to Acland Street for cafes and bars. I didn't use the WI-FI, but most people appear to be disappointed with this. The free breakfast from 7-9am is great, but good luck finding milk for tea or coffee.
Overall great stay.

Room Tip: No Pool or Fitness Centre so above ratings not applicable.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
habitatmanager333, General Manager at Habitat HQ, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Hi Kwaussie!
I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us; it was definitely a fantastically hectic time in Melbourne when you were here.We love Melbourne and StKilda and love hearing our guests enjoy it too...

I am glad you got to enjoy our facilities and free extras and I apologise if you had to battle your way through the crowd to get the free tea and coffee. I will ensure our staff do regular checks to top up these free little extras!!
You will be pleased to know we have upgraded our WiFi to address the issues we were having!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us when you were in St Kilda,
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed for a week, mainly because all other hostels were full. Overall we had a good time but things I noticed were wifi would not connect for very long. Would go on and off and skype was definitely not possible. We had to change rooms 3 times in 7 days which was no problem but each time we went into a new room the draws under the bed where you lock up your possessions were filthy in each room. The third time I asked in reception for it to be cleaned, they apologised and said they would get it cleaned. It didn't happen. So had to clean it myself unless I wanted food/crumbs/dust on my laptop/other stuff. The rooms weren't the cleanest either...in between the beds were tissues, rubbish and lots of dust. The kitchen wasn't the cleanest either. The draws in which cutlery was kept was full of crumbs/dirt.
They have rules for no alcohol only alcohol to be consumed is the alcohol from behind the bar, yet people were drinking their own beer everywhere infront of the staff. Which would be absolutely fine if i wasn't called up on my wine! Yet nothing was said to the other travellers who were obviously bringing in their own booze and drinking it clearly in front of the staff.
We also had drink stolen from our cooler bag which was kept in the freezer, I asked if we could look at the camera footage but unless we could give a small time frame in which it was stolen it would take them hours to look through all the film. The cameras seem pointless if they are not going to do anything about theft.
There are some positives! The Penguin guiding was awesome! The bedding was clean and fresh. Decent location, close to shops, tram stop and beach. The staff I met were actually really nice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
habitatmanager333, General Manager at Habitat HQ, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Hi Lindsey P
Thank you taking the time to review your stay at Habitat HQ, all feedback is valuable to us and the running of our business.
We are really glad you enjoyed the unique experience of Penguin guiding we are proud to be the only Hostel in Victoria to offer such an experience. It is fantastic when our guests get involved in our local community and habitat, thank you!
We apologise for the WiFi issues and understand how frustrating this can be. We have since installed a new, upgraded system to address this issue.

I am disappointed to hear that you did not get your locker cleaned as promised and I have addressed this with both our reception team and housekeeping team.
While our housekeeping team work hard to maintain the cleanliness of the kitchen and the rooms, we also rely on our guests to keep their belongings tidy and clean up after themselves. We will continue to be vigilant with this.
I am really sorry to hear that you had something go missing from the communal fridge. This is a very rare event due to the great community spirit of our guests. If we had a time frame we could have looked at a cameras and perhaps found the culprit, it is difficult to review if we have no defined times as many people go in and out of those fridges during the course of a day!
I apologise for you feeling singled out for drinking alcohol not purchased on our premises. It is one of our basic in-house rules and our staff are very vigilant to ensure that all guests are aware of this rule and adhere to it! It was exceptionally busy this weekend due to StereoSonic festival and we may have missed a few cheeky guests!

Happy travels,

Simone and the Habitat HQ crew
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed here for 7 weeks after only booking one week.. one of my favourite hostels and I have stayed all over the world. Very clean and nice rooms, friendly staff, clean kitchen and super clean/new bathrooms. Really sociable and in a great area. Main problem is the wifi, it is absolutely awful - please dont offer the service if you cant be bothered to buy a strong enough connection to connect more than about 3 people. However this would not be an issue for short stays.

Room Tip: 6 bed rooms are sometimes much smaller and more cramped than the larger rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for choosing to stay with us at Habitat HQ and spending so much time with us. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and we are very please to hear you think we are one of the best!!.

I am sorry that we had issues with our Wifi during your stay. We have since addressed the issue by upgrading and installing a new system and appreciate how frustrating it was prior to this.

Enjoy the rest of your stay in Australia,

Simone and the Habitat HQ crew
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Our room was very quiet in spite of the party going on downstairs. Wifi did not work on our android phones but this is apparently getting upgraded next week. They did give us each an hour free internet on the computers to compensate. Common areas were good and kitchen was well equipped. Really nice bathrooms.

• Stayed November 2013
habitatmanager333, General Manager at Habitat HQ, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hostel. As you mentioned the WiFi is being upgraded and fixed next week, thank you for being so understanding and patient with it.

The Habitat Team
Central Business District
United Backpackers Melbourne
United Backpackers Melbourne
#5 of 132 in Melbourne

Been to Habitat HQ? Share your experiences!