“Happy Place”

Habitat HQ
Manila, Philippines
“Happy Place”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed at Habitat for 2 nights in their 6-person room. very comfortable and a happy, lively place. location's very convenient, literally being a few steps away from the tram stop and several minutes away from St. Kilda beach. Took advantage of their Travel HQ in booking a tour to the great ocean road. common room and kitchen were large and weird as it may sound, were my favorite areas in Habitat. The Habitat guys were helpful too, not overbearing. room rates were quite steep though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed here after driving from Perth. Very clean and well appointed rooms (stayed in a private room). Very well located for walking to St Kilda beach or getting the tram to the CBD. Plus it has the bonus of free parking on site.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Average stay here. Room was OK, if not a little small. The bathrooms are exceptional though. Pricing was on the high side, the tennis was on though so probably bumped them up for that.

Coming in at night time was a real pain, they are very security conscious and lock the doors and check everybody coming in which is great ... if somebody actually comes to the door but we were waiting 10 minutes + on seperate occasions which is no good.

Kitchen was big and clean and communal areas were large. Writing this I don't know why I am giving it a 3 as I'm struggling to find faults but there something about the place that I can't put my finger on which made me never really feel at home here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
travelstkilda, Front Office Manager at Habitat HQ, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
We are so glad you had a good stay at Habitat HQ. We do try to keep our bathrooms clean
and security on the look out for invaders. Our kitchen is big and maintained and with free WIFI
and weekly events, we can understand that it would be hard to find faults. We do try to keep
Habitat HQ a great place to stay and have friendly staff to point you in the right direction. I
hope the rest of your travels remain faultless.

The Habitat HQ crew
Mackay, QLD, Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Traveled to Melbourne between 25th Dec 12 to 11th Jan 13 for a "holiday". Originally planned to stay at another hostel called Discovery Melbourne but decided it might have been too big to really socialize with anybody. Changed to Habitat HQ the day before flying over. Stayed there for the whole duration. If you want to see familiar faces daily... Habitat is the place to stay.

The entire commons area setting was nice, it created a good practical atmosphere for socializing. The kitchen, laundry, lounge, dinning area, tv/movie room, were all on the same floor and kinda right next to each other that you're bound to run into the fellow backpacker you met the previous day.

All common use areas were well cleaned daily. All rooms are well insulated. The english guy above me I made friends with wasn't when he had sex (with an english bird I made friends with too) at 5am in the morning. It's an eery feeling when your bed is shaking in a rhythm while deep asleep. He said it wouldn't do it again (or as loudly as it turned out). I blame trash like Jersey Shore for this kind of brazenness. It's a world and ozwide occurrence I'm sure.

I'm not sure about the "daily" activities the hostel organize. Well, Wednesday night is pub crawl night. Thursday is free BBQ evening. Sunday night, there's a band that plays in the commons area. Would have been nice if something (like group activities) could have been done more frequently at the hostel, like "every" night. I ran out of things to do in Melbourne, got so bored, I considered booking an earlier flight back to Mackay. Turned to loitering around the hostel, talking to random fellow backpackers, and drinking (daily) cheap wine ($5 a bottle, not goon!) and cheap imported premium beer ($10 for a six pack) that could be purchased at the nearby Aldi store. Only a 4 min walk.

The FREE wifi, drops in and out as almost ever other reviewer testifies. Habitat needs to upgrade their system if they wish to genuinely offer "free" wifi.

Commuting to the CBD is by tram, which is 20mins away. It would normally cost from memory $35 for a weekly pass, but most backpackers, if not everyone in Melbourne, never paid for tram rides. The tram drivers don't check... as if it's not their responsibility. I'm told by another long term backpacker, inspectors come on board rarely to check for valid tickets and if they do it's your que to hop off the tram. Hence you have to be extremely vigilant if you wish to abuse the system. I wasn't poor enough to never buy a pass. The tram operators may eventually wise up by the time you read this. Who knows.

Probably the biggest let down was Habitat HQs promotion of Hotel Barkly for the New Year's eve celebration. From other backpackers that went, it was a poor venue for the fireworks. The balcony faced the wrong way. I was at the nearby St Kilda beach to watch the fireworks. A few others from Habitat and I decided to do that first before going to Hotel Barkly. I actually still have my $20 ticket to Hotel Barkly as a souvenir... they locked out at midnight and there was no mentioning of that anywhere! Their poster at Habitat and the ticket just say "Doors Open 7pm". Kinda ridiculous that they locked out at midnight... but I'm probably more upset for my poorer fellow backpackers. The fireworks at St Kilda beach weren't spectacular either as you're only watching the city fireworks from the beach which is a fair distance away.

The best venue I was told by other backpackers for New Year's eve was a place called Veludo on Acland St St Kilda. They offered "FREE" drinks (and they were any spirits, premium beers!, etc. till 3am I think.) Tickets were just $80. A bunch of Brazilians I made friends with who went told me to buy a ticket for that venue. I regret I hadn't esp. as after midnight on New year's eve most other nightclubs in St Kilda charged $40 to $50 on mere door entrance alone.

Habitat HQ was overall one of the best backpackers I've stayed in (out of maybe 10 others in about 5 years). Not sure about best "value for money" though. It does cost for nice things and I can say Habitat HQ was nice.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hostel is the partner accommodation for the Visa Bureau, so I initially chose this because they were offering a free night! Great location, only 10 minutes walk from St Kilda waterfront. Friendly staff and they checked me in quickly at around midnight when I arrived. I was put in a 4-bed dorm which a decent size. Free Wi-Fi, tea & coffee was good, breakfast was too if you got up early enough (7-9am) Bathrooms were large and pretty clean for a hostel! It is expensive compared with other hostels in Melbourne, but for locality I would definitely go back.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I chose this hostel because of the good reviews. Compared to the majority of other hostels I have stayed in the rooms were excellent, air-conditioned and we had an en-suite which is always a bonus. The only bad thing was the beds - they were incredibly squeaky! I didn't really use the kitchen facilities but the lounge area was nice and chilled out and good for meeting people.
We did have issues when checking out. We had 2 hours before we needed to leave for the airport and the man at the desk wouldnt let us leave our luggage in the locker room (as its for guests arriving only ?!) .. they said we had to use the prepay lockers but these werent big enough! We spoke to a diffferent member of staff and she was really nice and let us put one of the bags in the luggage room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Our check in took an hour and a half, which at 4 am in the morning after flying from Europe was a tough call. Problem with the system booking due to our late check in.
We had a double room which was spacious enough with an en suite. Room well lived through!
Kitchen was not clean and we chose after breakfasting there once to go else where.
On check out we had to hire lockers to leave our bags in. These were pricey.
Habitat is expensive for what it is.
Plus is that location is good.

• Stayed December 2012
Central Business District
United Backpackers Melbourne
United Backpackers Melbourne
#5 of 133 in Melbourne

Been to Habitat HQ? Share your experiences!