“Our Best Hostel in OZ so far”

Ritz for Backpackers
Reviewed March 30, 2012

There's really nothing that I could complain about during my 2 weeks here. I am currently travelling Australia with my girlfriend and we've already seen a couple of Hostels here and this is definitely the best. The common room is really big and has a pool-table, several couches and a big flatscreen.
Due to the hostel program like Cheese & Wine Night or free BBQ the common room usually fills with people and you're to get to know each other.
Also the room itself was really nice. We stayed in a 5-Bed dorm, beds were really comfortable and the room was clean and quite big compared to other hostels.
Next point is the free pancake breakfast: The pankcakes are always delicious but you sometimes need to wait a couple of minutes to get you next as there are usally about 6 to 10 people at the table.
I agree that the Ritz is a party hostel, but what else would you expect from a hostel in St.Kilda? And although most of the backpackers start partying in the common room, you are usually able to sleep as the room is:
1. Far away from the most bedroom
2. Closed at 12:30am

So if you don't have a problem with partying and loud music from time to time, this is the best choice for you in Melbourne.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AussieZeb

Reviewed February 13, 2012

The hostel was rather grotty, the rooms weren't cleaned the whole time we were there. The staff weren't very friendly and as this was the first place we stayed on our arrival to Oz, it didn't create a very good first impression. The kitchen was large but never cleaned, the fridges were full of food that had been left behind by previous guests and the stench when opened was overpowering. There were cockroaches in the kitchen area too. Only two showers in the whole hostel with a very dim light.
The hostel is situated above a bar/nightclub and we couldn't sleep for the noise. One morning we woke up and found our beds had moved away from the wall during the night due to the thumping dance music downstairs. The only good point I can think of is the free pancake breakfast which was absolutely delicious but not worth the ordeal of surviving in this place.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 26, 2012

As a young, outgoing person I was really excited to go to Oz and have a lot of fun but this hostel RUINED my first week. Me and my friend arrived from Britain at 3.30am to find that no one was answering the buzzer or the phone. We sat outside for two hours,till 5.30, on the street hoping that someone would answer the door. Finally the guy at the '24 hour' reception heard us knocking and let us in.
Arriving to a new country is scary for anyone so the fact that the 'main' people in the hostel made us feel like a piece of dirt everytime we stepped into 'their' common room, is something that is not only intimidating but also upsetting. No matter how many times we tried to make conversation with them we were ignored and on several occassion actually snorted at. We did meet a group of lovely people in our dorm, all of whom felt the same and that is why all of us moved to a new hostel. There is also several members of staff who have been so rude that it has upset me and my friends. From standing in the doorway and not moving to let us past, or shouting at us to get out the common area at 1am is something that quiet litterally blue my mind. We actually avoided going into the common area just because it is so unfriendly. The whole place is dirty, unfriendly and the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. Anyone considering this hostel DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I am glad we didn't stay in this hostel first during out three week break - otherwise I don't think I would have ever stepped foot in a hostel again!!

As a couple we had booked a private double room - unfortunately they didn't mention that it seemed to be in the noisiest area in the hostel!!

The hostel was very 'cliquey' - lots of permanent residents who never seemed to leave the sofa's in the communal area - therefore we didn't feel comfortable leaving our room!

Along with all the partying throughout every night we were there (4 nights) - we also seemed to have constant fire alarms in the mornings - we had no idea if these were practices or the real thing as no signs told us anything! They also would come bursting into the room whilst we were in bed with no apologies!

The place was generally in a bad condition and not particularly clean - the bathrooms and toilets were not very nice.

Location however was the only positive we have - it is on the main strip in St Kilda and has a very handy tram stop just outside. However the location alone would not make us ever re-visit thishostel in the future.
Avoid!!

Room Tip: Try and get somewere quiet away from the bar downstairs!!
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Be warned, this place is party central. Personally I think that is a great thing when travelling as I met some of the best people ever here but it's not for the faint hearted.
Nice clean rooms and a homely feel that makes you want to stay longer. Also something going on everynight.
This place was recommended to me and I'd recommend it to anyone else. Great place.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I was quite shocked to read some if the reviews of this place after we found it one of the best we have been to. Ok we did stay in a double room that wasn't near the bar below so we were lucky I think.

We had a double room, they are fairly basic, a bed, 2 bedside cabinets and a wardrobe. Our bed was unbelievably uncomfortable as you could feel each and ever sprung it had, but the next morning we went to complain about this and they were really good about it, and ordered us a brand new bed which arrived that afternoon! Excellent service!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed January 23, 2011

The alleged "Secure Storage Area" is about as secure as leaving your luggage on the street. Staff hand keys out to anybody who asks. My friend had a jumper stolen whilst our luggage was stowed and one of the cleaners spilt bleach all over my gf's bag and ruined it (as storage area doubles as cleaning supplies storage) but didn't own up to it so it was a nice surprise when we came to get our luggage. Rooms were filthy and the bathrooms were worse. The noise from the pub below makes sleep impossible. Would advise anyone considering staying here to avoid it like the plague!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Central Business District
Discovery Melbourne
Discovery Melbourne
#113 of 153 in Melbourne

Been to Ritz for Backpackers? Share your experiences!