“Depends on who you room with!”

BASE Backpackers St Kilda
Tampa, Florida
“Depends on who you room with!”
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

This Base can be good or bad depending on who you get as a roomie. The facility is clean, I stayed in an 8 bed dorm with a bath inside the room. The room was great. My bunk was great, plenty of outlets to charge my devices. But the girl in the bunk next to me was a nightmare. Out of every person in the room her stuff was EVERYWHERE! In the bath, all over the floor. She came in noisy at 4am! Not Base fault. But your experience depends on how lucky you are. Base was clean & friendly!

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us an honest review. We appreciate all feedback given and it seems like you pretty much enjoyed your stay with us which is what we aim for.

Just so you know we do have the reception desk manned 24/7 that are always able to calm down rowdy room mates or move your room/ensure your room mates respect that the room is shared. It's a shame that your room mate affected your stay.

We hope the next time you're in Melbourne you choose to stay at BASE BACKPACKERS ST KILDA so we can exceed your expectations.

BASE MANAGEMENT.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014

After staying for a week in Base I have mixed reviews. Its in a great location to get into the city centre, with a tram stop just outside the hostel. There's also the bar where they put on events most nights, we liked the pub quiz!
However, it was such a shame that some of the staff were very rude and unhelpful, as other members of staff went over and above to be helpful and kind. I also found, as a solo traveller, it wasn't the most sociable hostel if you didn't want to drink all the time, and there wasn't really a nice communal area which wasn't the bar.
Everything was kept pretty clean, but Base could help themselves out by doing simple things like having bath mats in the bathrooms, so the whole place isn't covered in water after just one person has a shower. Or having one less bunk in each room so you're not ridiculously crammed in.
Basically, I think this hostel is a basic place to stay, which could be improved a lot with some simple changes!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 3rd floor, so you can actually sleep at night!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate all feedback given and it seems like you have some very good ideas which we will put through at our next managers meeting.

On the basis of staff - if you wouldn't mind emailing me through some more details regarding which staff/situations you found unhelpful and rude. We try to strive to have the happiest and friendliest staff work here at BASE BACKPACKERS ST KILDA as we know that staff members can make or break a holiday.

If you have any more great ideas or are able to email me about the situations you found the staff unhelpful that would be greatly appreciated. My email is georgia.mackay@stayatbase.com

We hope that the next time you're in Melbourne you choose to stay again so we can exceed your expectations.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Base was the first ever hostel I've been at in my entire life and I couldn't have asked for anymore, it ended up being like a home away from home. Being a young female solo traveller it really boosted my confidence staying here and I had the time of my life! All the staff are ridiculously friendly and welcoming, treat you really well and are there 24\7 for your every need. The location is perfect, just a 20 minuet tram ride away from the city and about 15 minuets from Chapel street. With Acland street being a 30 second walk out of the hostel you're sorted for your food, shopping and there's loads of cafes and places to eat! The hostel facilities itself are everything you'd need, kitchen with all the utensils, lounge area with TV available for when you just want a lazy day and its also a good place to make friends. Ping pong and pool table. Computers, printers (small fee). the bar area has something different going on every night. It is noisy when you want an early night sometimes but its nothing that's going to ruin your stay and there's ear plugs available! I thoroughly recommend staying at this hostel, its perfect for the solo traveller,very safe and welcoming.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Melissa G
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It seems like you had an amazing time with us which is exactly what we aim for!

We hope to welcome you back to Base Backpackers St Kilda in the future.

london
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hostel because the base backpackers in sydney was excellent.
The sydney x base had helpful and friendly staff with great on site security.
The same can't be said for the Melbourne x base. I stayed here because my friends were staying here. The hostel itself was clean tidy and modern with great rooms and facilities and a fantastic night club with great themes every night.
It was ok until a false complaint was made against me and around 2am in the morning the security guard asked me to leave the hostel. He was rude and was making me hurry up to pack my bags. The complaint was not investigated into and was asked to leave immediately. I am still owed 3 nights rent, the staff where rude and often un helpful I will not be staying here again. They let the side down

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Hi there,

Thank you for leaving us a review. We appreciate all feedback given and it seems although your stay with us was cut short due to an incident - you appreciated the cleanliness and our bar.

I'm disturbed to read that you feel you were evicted without reason. It's only in very rare instances that our security are required to help escort a guest out of our hostel and it's generally when the receptionist on duty is uncomfortable or having difficulty in doing so themselves. Regarding your refund - it is a BASE wide policy that no refunds are given on evictions however I urge you to contact me on georgia.mackay@stayatbase.com if you wish to discuss this further.

Travelers are raving about these St Kilda hotels

London
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed at this hostel during my time in Melbourne. Met some great people and each night had a laugh.

rooms are tidy and place is modern. Staff are pretty helpful. This is a good place to start off a trip in Australia.

Location is in St Kilda, right next to the beach and places for food etc....easy to get in and out of other areas of the city

Room Tip: Go large and go mixed
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate all feedback given and it seems like you enjoyed your stay with us which is exactly what we aim for.

We hope the next time you're in Melbourne you stay with us at BASE BACKPACKERS ST KILDA for another great time.

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The hostel is in a perfect location seeing that you are right at the beach, and St. Kilda is absolutely lovely anyways. It’s easy to get in the tram and go to the city center as well.

The hostel itself is quite nice, but a little over-priced..you can find cheaper ones in St. Kilda..Also at first it might seem nice to have a lot of drinking people around you, but if you intend to stay for a week or longer, it might annoy you a little bit. But for a few days, it certainly can be fun.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate all feedback given and it seems like you pretty much enjoyed your stay with us.

Just so you know - we do have a lot of free activities during the week like visiting the Queen Victoria Markets, Yoga in our bar, Royal Botanical Gardens, free BBQs, Live music and bar games throughout the week just to name a few.

We hope the next time you're in Melbourne you stay with us here at BASE BACKPACKERS ST KILDA and take up all the free things we have to offer.

Best Wishes and Safe Travels,

Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the girls only dorm for 2 nights. It was very clean and the beds were comfortable. It had great security and a lovely staff. The only problem was the noise. The music was on very loud until 3 in the morning! I was on the third floor and still could hear it clear!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Khadijah A
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Hi there,

Thanks for choosing to stay at Base Backpackers Melbourne, St Kilda. We appreciate you taking the time to compete the online survey, we value your comments submitted.

Although it seems like you had a pretty good time with us it seems that the Bar affected your stay with us which is disappointing.

Although our in-house bar can be lively and patrons come to party hard this should not have impacted on your sleep.
We have made a number of changes to reduce sound spilling into accommodation areas. These include a state of the art sound system, sound proofing, and decibel reading though a hand help monitor during the night.

We wish to apologise that noise from the bar area may have impacted on your stay.
I hope that the next time you stay at this or another Base property you will encounter a more restful night. We hope to welcome you to this or another Base property in the near future!

Best Regards & Happy Travels,

United Backpackers Melbourne
#5 of 134 in Melbourne
St. Kilda Beach House
#3 of 18 in St Kilda

Been to BASE Backpackers St Kilda? Share your experiences!