The place was heaving in more ways than one when we arrived at midnight off our plane. It looked like a night club when we arrived as many many young people spilled out on to the street as they queued to get in to the bar at Base. The bouncer helpfully parted the crowds so we could get in. Traveller tip: if you are horrified that the receptionist is wearing a camisole and knickers at your accommodation, then this will not be the place for you. However this made more sense when the poster on our bedroom door revealed that Thirsty Thursday is 'Wet t-shirt and wet jocks night'.
My sister shouted to the guy at reception that we would like a quiet room, wishful thinking that he smirked at.
The room itself was a clean but musty smelling bunk room with ensuite, as luck would have it directly looking over the throbbing bar and dj. The bunks are the kind that are so low you can't sit up in them. As there are no seats in the room, you would have to perch on the top bunks or sit on the floor.
The noise quiet ended down at 3 or 4 am. We did get ear plugs on request!
The next morning staff were not surprised that we asked for a refund, three mums on holiday from their little kids do not fit in at a place like this. People in their teens and twenties will enjoy hanging out at Base however, what a party zone. St Kilda is a great spot.
We were told that for our four night stay we could be refunded the last two nights and if the coming night our room was filled by other travellers who came in we would not be charged for that either. When we popped back to pick up our luggage we saw our room was being used. The refund has not come through on my account yet but I was told it might take around a week, I await with interest. I did appreciate their flexibility with us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BASE Backpackers St Kilda offers the best in high quality Budget St Kilda accommodation. With a range of small and large mix dorms, private Queen Rooms and the exclusive Girls only Sanctuary dorms, we have a room for all fun loving budget conscious travelers, we are the closest hostel in Melbourne to the iconic St Kilda Beach & have the PUMPING Red Eye Bar on site with live music, DJs and amazing food 7 days a week. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, HostelWorld, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Base Backpackers St Kilda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Base Backpackers Hotel St Kilda
- Base Backpackers St Kilda Greater Melbourne