“Ideal hostel for Melbourne area”

Base Backpackers St Kilda
Reviewed December 2, 2012

X-Base is a very good hostel, especially in relation to most hostels that Australia has to offer. It is situated within St.Kilda, which is a small seaside strip - you will quickly grow tired of St.Kilda and what it has to offer. However, X-Base is less than a 2 minute walk to the tram line, a direct tram will bring you straight into the city.

X-Base has decent pricing for it's rooms, but their security procedures are among the best I have come across in Australian hostels. Everything is swipe-card. Each set of bunks have security metal drawers under the bottom bunk, which will allow you to put your own lock on - to store any items you do not want to leave about. Rooms are cleaned daily, beds changed for each new guest.

There is a bar downstairs and music does not go on too late, so it is handy enough to get to sleep at somewhat a reasonable hour. The hostel staff always try to organize event for the guests to get involved in every day/night. So there is always something to do if you need the assistance.

The kitchen area is hard enough to cook comfortably in, as there is only two sets of hobs and two microwaves (no ovens, no grills). These are always in demand, as they is too many guests to cooking facilities. The Kitchen and TV area are both in the underground, so you'll get no cell reception - but this does prove a nice break.

As with all of Australian hostels, wifi is not free, nor cheap. So be prepared for that, smart phones with a good 3G/4G plan is your best option.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 4 night. We arrive by shuttle bus from the airport which was free as we were stayin 4 nights but otherwise would have cost is $32. We had to pay the $32 for our return journey to the airport. When we arrived there was a huge crows of people smoking outside the front door which we found slightly intimidating. The staff on reception were ok but seemed more interested in chatting to themselves about the night before than checking us in. We were in room 111 which is an 8 bed dorm directly above the bar. It was very noisy at night but nothing compare to the outrageous snoring one o the boys was producing in our room that kept us up for 2 nights running! The room was very spacious and the lockable draws underneath the bed were brilliant. The shower room was very big and the shower was brilliant. The air con in the room was also very good. The bar was extremely lively at night but didn't close that late so the music wasn't blaring all night. They had $5 daily meals which were very good value for money. The kitchen was ok and usable but could do with some updating. When we checked out at 10 am on our final morning we were not flying until that evening. The hostel said we could use the facilities but there was knowhere we could leave our bags other than the lockers you had to pay for. We couldn't fit our bags in the lockers meaning we had to carry them round with us all day.

St kilda is lovely but we came to Melbourne to see the city. This hostel is a 20 minute tram journey to the city and will cost you $7.60 to get there and back everyday you decide to go there. If I was to come to Melbourne again I would definitely book a hostel in the city centre.

There is local supermarkets which are less than a 5 minute walk from the hostel. Also there is a macdonalds at the end of the road.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

So I stayed here about 2 weeks ago. I have never felt so ill in my life because you don't want to miss a single night! I found the staff to be friendly on the reception but the bar staff were usually too hungover to make an effort. Also on the quiz nights and bingo nights the majority of prizes would go to either the off duty staff or the long termers leaving people like me with not much chance of the free drinks.
In all the hostel is great, if you have a problem with your room or anything on the accommodation side of things then they will sort it pretty sharpish but the bar is pretty unprofessional and if you aren't one of the in crowd then you feel like a bit of a leper.
I've stayed in better places and don't think I'll miss it so much but had a good time in all and met a lot of cool people.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I`ve been in Melbourne in the end of October to spend the weekend. Did reservation in a private room and when I get there at almost midnight received the information that the receptionist messed up with our reservation and there were no rooms available.
The receptionist was nice and tried to help us looking for a place but the city was full and we end up sleeping in a dirty and noisy hostel (Melbourne International Backpackers).
Base backpackers seems to be a nice place but be aware that you can loose your room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cristina m
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Base was highly recommended by a few of my friends so I was looking forward to staying in St Kilda for a few nights. Arrived and the staff on reception were really welcoming even explaining where everything was. Managed to get beds in "the sanctuary" the girls only dorms which we were looking forward to especially once we were given our little shampoo, conditione and towel! Got to the room and it was nice and clean as was the bathroom. My biggest issue was the noise. The walls are paper thin so you hear everything. People kept banging the main door into the sanctuary throughout the night and it was so loud and then there was the pounding noise from their club which just went on forever and just got louder! Do they not know about sound proofing? Improve that and it would make a difference.
Great location for exploring St Kilda, loved Ackland St with all it's restaurants, amazing bakeries and kooky shops. Also great to jump on the 96 tram and head into town.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 12, 2012

another of the BASE backpacking chain, and god can you tell it. I got here straight from the plane - jetlagged and tired - only to be snapped at by staff and told i couldnt get in my room yet etc - no offer of getting me a shower or any help at all, then had to pay to leave my luggage while i went out for the day to wait for my room. when i got back i didnt even have a bed in the room as they'd double booked me! there was one nice member of staff who did sort out my room for me - but by that point the first impression had already been made. i hate to moan about people - but this company has a lot of bad staff from what ive heard on my backpacking trip and i think everything comes down to that first impression.
on the good side the room i ended up in was pretty clean, but noisy, and not great value for money. the hostel is in st kilda though in a good situation right next to the tram and the beach - so at least its got that going for it! go to the cake shops on the road next to it too!

Room Tip: i heard the 'sanctuary rooms' were pretty good on the 4th floor - females only
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Location is everything, right in the heart of saint kilda a few minutes from everything and half hour from downtown by tram. Facilities are nice, clean rooms with ensuite and great security. Staff are great. The only problem I had was with my bank account, this place has a strict no byo, they have a small bar downstairs and they do everything possible to get you there buying drinks. Every night the whole ground floor turns into a night club, its a great party if your into it, but if not your out of luck, cause theres nowhere to hide and the music goes straight through the walls. Theres no outdoor area in the hostel, only places to hang out are the kitchen and the bar, theres a small room for smokers but after 8pm it closes and they chuck all the smokers out onto the street. This is a party hostel, I lasted about a week before exhaustion set in and I had to find somewhere else to catch up on sleep.

Room Tip: Higher floors get less noise from the bar
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Central Business District
United Backpackers Melbourne
United Backpackers Melbourne
#4 of 156 in Melbourne

Been to Base Backpackers St Kilda? Share your experiences!