“Smoke and syringes” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Smoke and syringes”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!! Absolutely disgusting. As soon as you open the front door the building stinks of smoke. We walked upstairs to find a syringe sitting just outside our room. When opening the apartment door we were greeted with an absolute stench of smoke and a filthy room. There was also no water pressure at all so i couldn't get clean in the shower. We ended up organising with the hotel and booking.com to leave a night early but they have charged us for the entire stay anyway and now we have left the state the owner is refusing to refund the money for the last nights stay. 3 other guests checked out early whilst we were there all complaining of the same things. ***FILTHY***

Room Tip: Run Run Run. Do not stay here.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I agree with all previous reviews. This place should be avoided at all costs. We arrived late at night, code to front door sent by text message to us, key left in fridge and room door open. Whilst putting the code in, the door was opened by a person very shabbily dressed and reeking of alcohol no questions asked just let us in. The corridor smelt of a mixture of cigarettes/stale dirty water and damp. On arrival in our room we were met with a gloomy prison cell looking room. Again the smell was of old damp carpets. The beds had clean sheets but the top covers were badly stained, one even had old food stuck to it. The carpet was badly stained too. The bathroom door was filthy both sides, the tiles were cracked, the door to the shower had black mould along the bottom. No hangers in the wardrobe. Fan covered in dust so didn't put it on. One plug hole covered in black sticky tape. Dust build up on plug holes and skirting boards must have been at least 6 months worth. Cutlery and crockery tatty and unclean, we bought paper cups and didn't use any. We spoke to discovery australa who booked it and were more or less told you get what you pay for! I am willing to accept responsibility for not checking trip advisor reviews previously and that the place is old and worn, but not the fact it was so dirty, this place is to me a homeless shelter for drug users and down and outs. Location wise there are good restaurants within walking distance but it is a little dodgy walking from the apt felt unsafe. The poor manger/receptionist had no clue and didnt even speak enough english to understand me or me understand him, but he was pleasant. The only positive note is we survived!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Wendywoo1959

Travelers are raving about these St Kilda hotels

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

The place has private and leased apartments. On arrival had to request another towel. only 1 provided for 2 people. Bed only had 1 sheet. The bed cover had stains on it. The carpet had quite a few stains, chewing gum on the skirting board. Getting in and out of the toilet/shower is a squeeze to shut the door. Shower could do with a real good clean. Killed 2 cockroaches. Glad we were only there for 5 nights. Would have moved but over Easter weekend nothing else was available. Tried phoning duty manager, no answer. Had a guy knocking on our door 2.30am looking for someone as well as the front buzzer. The back entry is kept opened. Not good security wise.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Graham W
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Dirty,broken fittings, mould, unsafe and did I say dirty! Manager was polite is the only positive comment! I don't mind old, but I do need cleanliness! Our friends left because it was so bad. There were lots of overseas visitors staying as it was the Melbourne Ironman. All we spoke to were not impressed either. It was not a good introduction to Australia.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Plsheridan
Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

As much as I dislike giving negative reviews, I feel I must, on behalf of people who might be attracted to this extremely suspect place. Firstly, let me state outright that I have not stayed at this establishment. By way of further explanation: neither has my daughter on whose behalf I write this. My daughter booked this place online so she had somewhere to stay when she went to the Australian Grand Prix F1 last weekend. Her worried text messages and mobile calls started almost immediately on arrival: "no-one at reception, no-one answering the phone, drugged out people wandering the corridors, room smelt of pot, urine and goodness knows what, cigarette butts stubbed out on furniture, unknown stains on sheets and blankets, cockroach faeces on the many surfaces" and the list goes on and on. We advised her to try to get somewhere else and fortunately they did. The short time she was there she feared for her safety as there appeared to be many people on drugs wandering the corridors. She has now had to cancel her credit card as the 'management' argued that there was nothing wrong with the room and still wanted to charge her for the 4 nights she was booked. Management also asked for her credit card PIN so they could 'sort it out'. The biggest thing that worries me is that she checked on-line reviews of this dump (NOT from Trip Adviser) and read fairly average-good reviews.) Thank you so much to the other two contributors who have also published true reviews of this place which should be visited by both local council authorities and the police.

8 Thank Mark L
sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Well, we booked for four nights and were so horrified that we left after only one. Let that be a warning to you, if you dare stay here. Indeed this hotel has a roof, a reasonably comfortable bed and some self-catering facilities. However, at the prices the hotel demands, one might expect a higher standard. Our room stank to high heaven. Upon opening the window, we discovered it had no fly-screen, so we had the choice of a room full of bugs and no security, or the stench. The tiles were sticky, the carpet filthy. The bed was infused with an ineffaceable eau de cigarette – after only a short time in bed one felt in desperate need of a thorough scrub in the shower to wash off the odour and whatever other nasties lurked there. Upon having a shower, you would discover the bathroom must have been designed by a contortionist, who didn’t mind the bending and twisting involved to simply shut the door and enjoy some privacy. The rest of us need to back in to the bathroom, wedging oneself between the shower and basin in order to shut the door – and mind your nose and the way through. In the shower, taller people will have a choice between constantly knocking their head on the shower rose or cutting their legs off at the knees. The hotel boasts ‘secure parking’ in the sense that it has a gate. However this appears to be no object for the people whom the gate is designed to thwart. On the night we stayed, outsiders roamed the corridor freely, talking about having jumped the fence/gate. The fire escapes were propped open, allowing easy access to the building. We had people knocking on our door throughout the wee small hours, looking for the kinds of goods which are obtained late at night with secret door-knocks and large wads of cash. Needless to say, we didn’t sleep a wink after the first incident! Management told us in the morning they were knocking on the wrong door. This knowledge was hardly comforting! People of an unsound state of mind were having loud and obscene conversations in the corridor as we lay silent and wide awake in the bed, unsure as to what might happen and fearful of our own security given there were no chains on the doors and the locks looked unreliable. Management seems fully aware of the problems, but remains totally unapologetic and chooses to turn a blind eye. My advice: don’t stay here.

7 Thank A B
Wendouree
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

OMG. Disgusting. Filthy. I paid $110 per night to stay at a drop in center for all of the homeless people, junkies and alcoholics of St Kilda. Drug deals done right in front of you. Vomit and urine smell in the hallways. Rooms so dirty I bleached and cleaned prior to doing anything else. Junkies fighting (full on punch on) in the hallway at 5.30 am. Fridge and heater that didn't work. No air con. An alcoholic falling down the steps and nearly taking me with him. No safety chains on the doors causing us to have to sleep with a table against the door to feel safe. The staff were nice but useless when it came to fixing noise problems and the not working fridge or heater. Junkies walking through the car park in the early hours of the morning making me worry about my car. Four sleepless nights with worry about about our safety. Would have felt safer sleeping in a tent in the botanical gardens. Keys that could be cut by any previous tenant of the room allowing anyone access to our room and possessions. No working smoke detector in the room. It had been broken and not repaired. Tiles on the floor and bathroom broken. Cooking facilities meant I had to purchase a fry pan and saucepan from an op shop as the kitchenette didn't have any. I had an Indian gentleman knock on the door whilst my husband was out and tell me that he was the last tenant in the room and he had forgotten to take some belongings out and asked if he could come in and collect them. (I weigh 48 kg and stand 5 ft 2 inches tall. I said no way) The rooms stunk like cigarette and bong smoke and there were cigarette butts in the drain of the bathroom sink. Location wise it is in a great position to get to the formula one racing but at risk of getting raped or killed it's not worth it. The only positive that I can come up with is that the management allowed us to keep the car in the car park after check out for the day whilst we went to watch the formula one and pick it up later that evening. For that I thank you. Otherwise the worst experience of my life so far

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Apartments Ink
#7 of 19 in St Kilda
Quest St Kilda Bayside
#1 of 19 in St Kilda

Been to Redan Apartments? Share your experiences!